Show me Your Tuning!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

kgt wrote:Image

weeracerweenie wrote:@wally318, that is BADASS! This is the true weight weenie stuff!

Or maybe... frankenweenie 8)

Hahaha yes true that! Very... Industrial. I still like it!
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

@prendrefeu you raise a fair point, but the idea of this thread (in my hea anyway) was just for people to post what they've physically done to a component off their bike. I had no intentions of it to become a "How to tune every component on your bike in detail" thread.

How about if you've seen a thread on detail of tuning. A specific component, post the link. Other wise just show everyone photos of your tuned parts and a brief explanation. I just wanna see some cool stuff out that's out there!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wally318

by wally318

Yes I know that the lever bodies have a crude unfinished look to them. But you have to understand that: that's what Campy gave me to work with. Lever bodies made of 4 separate pcs. that I bonded together. So you can see the glued joints through the areas that are not
covered with brake hood rubber. In order to save weight any rubber that didn't come in contact with hands were left off. and the rest crazy glued in place. All to the effort of making the lightest hillclimb bike without braking the bank. Trust me, these are by far the crudest
components on the bike. I'll show more later.
In any case it's a lot better than what was on the bike at 7 lbs. A modified 18.3 gram Tektro cross top lever, lightened CLB compact Front caliper 56 grams, and clear neumatic tubing and power cordz.
Very squishy/flexy /poor braking. And the cross top lever caved in the middle because of the lightning holes and braking force to stop with 1 brake. And w/o hoods to pull on when out of the saddle, upturned only bars felt quite wimpy and uninspiring for standing climbing.
In contrast lots of forearm bracing w/ the Campy, as well as a very ergonomic feel to the hands. Good positive braking with the levers, 2 KCNC CB1 calipers, cork pads, i-links
and power cordz.
AEROLITUS-defender of the faith

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

I like the enginuity behind it, it's by all means a true weight weenie modification! I love it! :D

austke

by austke

I like the idea of a picture and brief description type thread for Real Tuning, not buy it and show it stuff, and not indepth stuff, Just brief. Sort of like a,
Show us your Caad's,
Pictures of Colnago's,
Willier Luv thread". And so on. :)

Great Idea Weeracer weenie. :thumbup:

I am still playing around with multiple pieces, and fairly crude looking still, a bit more time and I will post em up. 8)

austke
2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0, 6.92kg
2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 M, 8.5kg - Wife's
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg
Miele Lupa Triple Tandem 38,89kg

wally318

by wally318

These 2 pics are of a HED 3 front wheel that has a totally redesigned hub.
Hub was gutted, wheel put on a CNC mill at work(my mill is too small for a complete wheel)
Hub shell was externally lightened. Abec 5 ceramic bearings are epoxied into place.
They are centered with a small spacing jig that is buried in the epoxy.
7075 axle and end caps made. Bearing preload is built into axle length/endcap length.
Wheel is 651 grams. Lost about 100 grams.
Attachments
P1020887.JPG
P1020888.JPG

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

@wally318 a daunting yet simple fix for an expensive wheel! Cleverly done!

artray

by artray

Your tuned into the Wally and Weenie show ... :lol:

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

+1

It is exactly this kind of boundless enthusiasm and passion that gave us guys like Paul Price (Paul Component Engineering), and of course the great Geoff Ringle.

Keep it up! Just don't start anodizing in purple again... :-)

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

mellowJohnny wrote:
Keep it up! Just don't start anodizing in purple again... :-)

+1 to that, but i agree, hopefully this inspires more real work, than deep pockets

wally318

by wally318

These 2 pics are of the hub on the rear HED3 wheel.
Wheel was gutted. Hub shell was milled externally as well as internally.
Only peice saved from original was the LH adjustable cone. Bearing epoxied as on front
Ti freehub body and ti axle from an XTR hub were machined to fit. TNT ti freehub
bolt/bearing cup machined to be bolt only. Outer axle bearing cup machined to
fit a sealed bearing along with new axle hardware to adapt sealed bearing to threaded
axle. Freehub has 1/2 steel and 1/2 nylon bearings. Wheel is 659 grams, saved about
100 grams.
Attachments
P1020889.JPG
P1020890.JPG

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Wally318 you are a true weight weenie. Building your own bits, WELDONE :D

wally318

by wally318

Here's a couple pics dealing with the rear hub I made for my hill climb bike.
The hub weighs 125.7 grams and is based loosely on the Hi-E cassette hub,
in that it uses the original alloy cassette body and the floating drive ring.
The original plan was to use it with 32H spoking on a light aluminum rim, but the front
wheel at 24 spokes and ultra light rim was way too flexy for my liking. By the
time I got to needing the wheels, there were a couple carbon light rims on the horizon
The Lew 175 gram-mers never happened, but edge stepped in with their 200 gram
25's and I got some at 190 grams. So with some input from the now estranged Troy Watson
You can see in pic 1 the hole drilling we came up with for the wheel.
So because the wheel now would have 24 spokes not 32 I needed a new drive flange
In pic 2 you can see the original. There were none to be had with 12 spoke drilling
I had to make the flange from scratch. No CNC machining here, all standard lathe/mill.
The flanges are epoxied to a custom carbon tube made by Edge.All machined parts are
black anodized and made of 7075 T6. There are 3 bearings, all ceramic hybrid ABEC5's.
First version had some mistakes in the non-drive flange which yeilded some lateral
play at the rim. Wheel was unspoked and new carbon tube made as well as new flange
and reassembled. Hub and wheel work well. Only issue is freehub noise. With a 27 tooth
drive soulds like buzz saw and amplified by carbon rims/frame.
Attachments
P1020902.JPG
P1020904.JPG

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

On the hed3, have you thought about ramping the freehub splines so only the driven side is perpendicular to the cassette splines? Could save some more weight, although I know machining ti can be a pain.
VERY nice work, btw.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com