Tubular sealant - Michelin Stop&Go?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

E777L

by E777L

Before anyone shuts me down for not searching... I tried on google but no sealant luck. And I am a newbie, with my very first set of tubular wheels and a rear puncture after 500km (Verdestein Fortezza TriComp Pro with latex tubes, which came with the wheel; swapping to Continental Competition next).

1:34AM = 6 hours of sleep and 16 hours to go before my usual group ride. One 100mL can of Michelin Stop&Go foam sealant.

Questions - from those with experience with this product preferably:

1) Will this do the trick since can refers only to tubeless tyres?
2) Use the entire can for a single wheel? Inject via valve extensions?
3) How soon can I ride it and pump to optimal pressure?
4) Will it be long lasting?

Product comes without instructions anywhere, even online :noidea:

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

No real experience with the Michelin stuff.

Have you considered options that are smaller and easier to carry like?:
- Vittoria Pitstop (like the Geax stuff)
- Tufo Sealant

I have actually had more success with the Tufo liquid than Vittoria, but you will find others with the opposite experience.

Remember to take a valve core removal tool with you as well.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Stolichnaya wrote:No real experience with the Michelin stuff.

- Tufo Sealant

I have actually had more success with the Tufo liquid than Vittoria, but you will find others with the opposite experience.

Agreed. I've had the best luck with Tufo Extreme. I use about 1/3 of a small bottle.

edesigner

by edesigner

Bridgeman wrote:
Stolichnaya wrote:No real experience with the Michelin stuff.

- Tufo Sealant

Agreed. I've had the best luck with Tufo Extreme. I use about 1/3 of a small bottle.

This. Sealed a pretty good sized thorn hole on my Elite front. Still doing fine after 6 weeks.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Before anyone shuts me down for not searching...

Really? Next time I will shut you down. Promise. :evil:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=70013&start=270

1) Will this do the trick since can refers only to tubeless tyres?

No, it does NOT refer to tubeless tyres only.

2) Use the entire can for a single wheel? Inject via valve extensions?

Told you already. Of course you can inject it through the extender, what else do you think is that compressed gas for?

3) How soon can I ride it and pump to optimal pressure?

Again, told you already.

4) Will it be long lasting?

Do we have a crystal ball? If and when it does its job it will in all likelyhood outlast the entire tubular's life.

swapping to Continental Competition next

Punishment well deserved.................................. :mrgreen:

And all this fuss for a groupsride which is 16 hours away?
Don't forget to take those diapers too. :roll:

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

E777L

by E777L

Thankyou for the humorous contemptous assistance, fdegrove :P

In my defence:
- I honestly did search, using even The Google (a la George Bush)
- Michelin says "for tubeless and Standard (tube) bicycle tyres" ... I assumed it meant for inner tubes in (today's more standard) clinchers vs tubulars
- I thought you inject it via the veins a la Lance, and then it magically transfers through the seatpost (ok, that's gross)
- No, I did not assume you have crystal balls or even not a complete set (Lance reference again, sorry) ... but I was asking people "out of their experience"
- As for the punishment unleashed, I am NOT worthy! Can I thank you for your input with my input from one the diapers?

Off to repair the damn thing now... I may report back, if I am assured of no further attack from you :lol:

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

It should work like Vittoria pitstop etc, so you can google instructions of other sealants too. Don't inflate the tire after using the sealant, pressure too high within the tube = stuff will want to eject out violently. Once you inflated the tire with the sealant and the compressed gas, carry on riding or get the wheel spinning nonstop. I let it sit there after spinning once or twice and it started spewing foam from the hole. Making it spin will prevent leakage as the sealant goes around the tube and slowly coagulate at the puncture.

E777L

by E777L

Thanks Kayrehn, I ended up following Vittoria's instructions.

Except... I didn't realise I had to screw the spray's knob to the valve (with Vittoria, the youtube clips shows you just press it against the valve), resulting in foam overflowing everywhere at the valve :?

Once I got past that, the sealant inflated the tyre and I made it spin. But then the foam started flowing out of the small puncture hole, once I inflated a bit more. At first attempt to inflate, the foam was now overflowing from the valve!

I ended up using the full 100mL and it seems like a failure, despite the puncture hole being small.

We'll see if overnight if the sealant does it's magic... if not, OUCH at choosing to run tubulars for the first time.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

I could not get Vittoria Pitstop to work, though I tried many times and at prolonged low pressure. At full pressure it would hold at home with the hole at ground level and the fluid over it. Once I'm rolling, it would blow after a only a few minutes.

Tufo Extreme works the best for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Same here.

Michelin's is more effective than Pittstop however. (And about 1/2 the price to boot)

Regardless what brand you're using, here's a little trick that works quite well:

When you notice latex bubbling out of the punctured area, turn the wheel so this area is at the lowest point and put a finger on the punctured area.
Gravity will bring most of the latex down where it when then have sufficient time to oxidize (latex curing) and stop the leak.
Once it has stopped leaking leave the wheel for a couple of hours. After that you can inflate to normal pressure while keeping your fingers crossed. Now take the bike for a short spin so you know the repair can sustain the extra load as seen by the rider's weight and any road irregularities modulating the tyre.

IME all of these cannister type of products are useless for emergency repairs on the road so there's no point in carrying any with you.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.