VR Trainer Options, Tacx, CompuTrainer?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jvanv8

by jvanv8

I'm looking to get a nice trainer for the winter and I like the idea of VR and real video (and/or online multiplayer options)
Tacx has the i-Genius Multiplayer which seems nice and I like their video options. It's quite expensive especially since I might need a Win7 pc (or new graphics card in my MacBook Pro with Core i7, 2.66Ghz, GeForce GT 330M, 4GB Ram with Bootcamp but not sure about that).

Anyone using the i-Genius or the new Tacx 4.x Advanced Software (with or without a Mac?)
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

aerozy

by aerozy

I have a Tacx Genius paired with the TTS V3.0 software. I previously used a TACX Fortius a few years back which I unfortunately had to sell.

Have to say Im a little dissapointed with the product. I noticed the power values seemed to be way off. I recently compared the TACX power values with ones coming from a quarq pm which confirmed that. When you start the session the Genious is about 100W off and by the end its about 50W off. The resistance when going "uphill" is very uneven and impossible to ride. I dont know how TACX messed this feature up because the Fortius worked quite OK. Only way I can train on steeper VR gradients is by reducing the "resitance power" to about 10%. So when riding up the up 12% gradients the resitance is reduced to 1.2% which smooths the lumps out. I can still do hard intervals this way so it meets my main purpose.

I have contacted TACX about this (seems like a lot of people have had this issue). They say this will be corrected in a firmware update to be released soon.

I think it still beats training in pouring rain and the VR videos really do help making the experience less tedious.
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hasbeen

by hasbeen

Ive used them all. I feel like the computrainer is a bit more refined and really not bad at anything. The tacx stuff can be a bit sketchy but they are cheaper. I am currently on a Tacx and it works great for what I need it for which is doing a lot of the same vr rides and competing against myself. I am using the 3.something software though and am afraid to upgrade since it works fine as is. :thumbup:
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

andyindo

by andyindo

Computrainer is a serious bit of kit and will probably outlast any tacx trainer.

mrfish

by mrfish

I am sceptical about buying a power meter and TV set all integrated into a turbo trainer. A modular solution in my view gives you a lot more options, and it's surely not too difficult to shift gears to choose the right resistance level.

- Buy a crank or wheel based power meter which you can calibrate and use on the road
- Buy an ipad to watch videos and listen to music
- Buy a cheap (relatively speaking at least), quiet magnetic turbo trainer to turbo train

However if you must get an integrated solution, then the Wahoo Kickr and an ipad is the turbo to get. It makes the Tackx offering look rather dated. See their website or dcrainmaker for details.

Max Gravity

by Max Gravity

Wahoo Kickr sounds like a god idea if you never plan to change phone ever again...
Or if you simply are one of the majority that run Android or the minority who runs Win.

I think a "ready" setup is the best for lazy people (I know one)
I just sit on the tacx and run a program no cheating out just do the run watching TV.
Find it very helpful when doing Tabata training like I do all winter (20 sec on 10 sec off again and again)
think it would be hard to get it right without pre programming.

I don't think my next trainer would be a Tacx though, shitty support etc.

add: Tacx is still 32bit to my knowledge (mine is) worth noting if you intend to buy a new OS.
Max Gravity, unfairly treated by gravity!

vmb95

by vmb95

As on option, try satori or any other trainer from this list http://www.trainerroad.com/virtual-power
Here's VR-like on Satori trainer, https://vimeo.com/52323839

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Every year for the past 2-3 years I start to think about this time of the year about getting one of these things. Do the research and such. I want a trainer that can automatically change resistance to mimic the video I am watching and riding in VR. I don't care about racing against others or myself, but I want to be able to replicate the terrain I see on the screen as I "ride" it. The Wahoo KICKR PowerTrainer seems like the simplest and best of all world, but it is not even available yet. The Tacx Bushido looks good too around the same price. Both very very pricey!

Max Gravity

by Max Gravity

I just read: The Trainer Software 4.1 is only compatible with 64bit operating Systems.

So I'm seriously outdated...

edit: but then it does not mention anything about 64bit on any other place than a sales info on the i-genius.
you probably want to check that up before buy any new trainer. My old one refuse 64bit that I'm sure of.
Max Gravity, unfairly treated by gravity!

crewman

by crewman

Have you looked at the Cycleops Powerbeam VR

I too have a TACX fortius and although I have used it allot in the last two years, the software is getting expensive. Now you need a license for google earth as well.

I saw the powerbeam in action @ interbike and they now have a VR site that is just starting up.

Here is a good review of the unit and software.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/02/cycleops-powerbeam-trainer-pro-in-depth.html
"It's all about the Tempo"

dgran

by dgran

I'm partial to the CompuTrainer. Many other systems have better software, but in practice riding/racing with others is pretty complicated and I haven't heard too many people who make good use of that feature. I do however, hear of people who are able to dial in their training load very well with the CT. The hardware is bomb proof and it just plain works. I was really on the fence a few years ago and I still make good use of mine.

drhule23

by drhule23

+1 for Computrainer. Solid, durable product and good customer support.
The more you suffer, the closer you get to transcendence.
It's not the mountain you're climbing, it's yourself. If you don't want to know, stay at the bottom.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com