A pic for chuckles...

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

elviento

by elviento

A few recent trips to the biggest carbon bicycle manufacturing regions of the world reveals that knockoffs have more than quadrupled in the past 12 months.

And more and more brands are victim, including some local Chinese brands. Just a matter of time.
Attachments
7ed13c36gw1dzg96w6gi1j.jpg
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

BobSantini

by BobSantini

Just a matter of time before the Chinese come to the party? Pina MUST be objecting.
r o y g b i v

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kavitator

by kavitator

That photo tells nothing - are this frames for 5000euros or 500$?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

elviento wrote: including some local Chinese brands.

I'm actually more interested in the local Chinese Brands, as I'm interested in more brands of bikes that are not promoted on other continents or countries.
Can you put up some links or names of the local Chinese brands you speak of? (I don't care for the knockoff... I mean the real Chinese brands you are referring to)

Thanks.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Are there any Chinese brands that knock off other Chinese brands? :lol:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

artray

by artray

If thats not a real Dogma I bet it's lighter . I know someone who has a Dogma copy and its lighter than the real thing and it's a perfect copy .

micky

by micky

prendrefeu wrote:
elviento wrote: including some local Chinese brands.

I'm actually more interested in the local Chinese Brands, as I'm interested in more brands of bikes that are not promoted on other continents or countries.
Can you put up some links or names of the local Chinese brands you speak of? (I don't care for the knockoff... I mean the real Chinese brands you are referring to)

Thanks.

I guess he's referring to brands like Triace, the only one that pop up right now in my mind as some others just use open mold frames (see Kung or Quick).

micky

by micky

kavitator wrote:That photo tells nothing - are this frames for 5000euros or 500$?

Those are obviously the fake ones.

@elviento, you might soon receive an email from Pinarello marketing agent as happened to me few weeks ago when I posted those exact pictures, where he stated that his lawyers were gonna take action.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

That's my kitchen! I was gonna tell the immigration authorities about those workers, honest.

Footnote to UK immigration authorities: I am joking.

boolinwall

by boolinwall

Seems to me if you don't want people taking pictures of chinese folks making your bikes, you should stop having chinese folks build your bikes. lol

shotgun

by shotgun

Shouldn't the photo above help Pinarello by promoting buyers to only deal with authorized sellers? After a quick eBay they can't deny that they're out there.
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

elviento

by elviento

Prend -- I am happy to show you a few Chinese brands (many of them claim to be founded in some European country or the US (Triace) with decades of European/US history, but for now, I am going to count them as Chinese brands.) And I will skip the blatent knockoffs. It's funny, some of these companies are enormously wealthy to begin with, some with billions of government subsidies --- they can easily buy dozens of companies like Moots, etc. if they are up for sale. ZGL is huge. Jihaolin is huge. Both have government backing and they have enough money to hire Smart, Vroomen, McLaren, Pinifarina. Some advertise at prime TV shows and major Olympic events for US$50K+ per second.

Micky, I have a feeling that Pinarello and the like will try to do something about the knockoffs soon but not sure how far it will go. Pretty hard to enforce I suppose. The fact is there is a huge market in the west for these. Surprisingly, very few are actually sold locally.

Shotgun, no, people will always be tempted, and they will come back and taunt the real-product buyers "you sucker."

Astray, paintjobs are actually quite a different matter than the actual product. Some of these do have decent paintjobs. In fact some of the paintjobs are very nicely done.
Attachments
20120626102212a0af.jpg
1279161179.jpg
201221110327.jpg
ZGL.JPG
1209211606201.jpg
3258995_logo.jpg
Falco 6189 SM.jpg
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Thanks elviento, I appreciate the images and names! I'm going to look them up.

That Falco is obviously the best one that you posted. Can you tell us more about it? :wink:
:lol:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Mike V

by Mike V

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boolinwall

by boolinwall

In all seriousness. And I do realize that most of you realize the difference. However, it's worth noting for those who aren't in the know. Just because it came out of the same mold, doesn't mean it's an identical bike. Yes, shape gives it it's silhouette and has some determination of ride. But I promise that the kind of carbon used, the layup schedule and the compaction process make just as much, if not more of a difference. So even though it might look like a dogma, I promise it's not made from Toray 60 ton carbon. That's the great thing about buying a brand name bike. You know what's under the paint. (usually.lol)