DA 7850 rebuild - 16H rim recommendations

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Privateer

by Privateer

I've worn the sidewalls on my Dura Ace 7850s into a lovely concave shape. I'd like to rebuild the hubs onto new rims before they fail and I lose some teeth.

I'd like to use either light or aero rims, or it isn't worth rebuilding them compared to the price of a replacement set of training wheels on eBay. Cost is a consideration - Zipp and Enve are not options.

I wanted to go with Stans Alpha 340, but they aren't available in a 16 hole drilling. Farsports might be an option.

What are your recommendations for either a light (ideally tubeless) or aero rim in a 16/20 drilling?

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Privateer wrote:I wanted to go with Stans Alpha 340

and for a good reason... I wouldn't trust that build at 57kg...

I would have a look at the kinlin XC-279 or BHS c472w, not sure if it comes in a 16h, but it looks a very stout rim
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Generic 16h rims are very scarce, your best bet would probably be to score a whole wheel on ebay/classifieds, as replacement rim pricing is also quite steep. Also look around for the Ultegra counterpart, you might be able to rebuild the rim on the DA hub, if that's a priority.

racingcondor

by racingcondor

The velocity deep V is worth a look (comes in a 16 hole according to the site). I'm not sure that there are any Alu rims that will actually build into a stiff enough wheel with so few spokes though.

If you can spend a little more then something like the Planet X 50mm Carbon rim sells (debadged) in a 16 hole and a 20 hole Gigantex rear might even be stiff enough for a lighter rider.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/RIPX50C/planet_x_50mm_carbon_rim

tigoose

by tigoose

To the op
What did you end up getting as i'm wanting to do the same with rs80 hubs?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lechat

by lechat

There's nice looking a set of Xero XR1s on eBay for $140 shipped. They use Kinlin XR300s in 16/20.