Tubular Repair

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Yes but spending 200$ on a handmade tubular is ludicrous for one and the benefits returned are rather small in comparison.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Carcinogent

by Carcinogent

I wanted to show you how a Continental tubular looks on the inside and that they are very easily repairable. All tyres except the Limited edition (available to PRO teams only) have a butyl inner tube.

So here is a Gatorskin Tubular in detail: http://www.thetallcyclist.com/?p=264" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy!

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Thx for the link. 8)

All tyres except the Limited edition (available to PRO teams only) have a butyl inner tube.

Even the LE comes with a butyl inner tube nowadays.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Geoff

by Geoff

God, but that is an ugly tubular. I pity those guys who live in an environment where you need a tire that looks like that! I'm pretty happy that we have bottle recycling here...

tetonrider

by tetonrider

Geoff wrote:God, but that is an ugly tubular. I pity those guys who live in an environment where you need a tire that looks like that! I'm pretty happy that we have bottle recycling here...

amen.

i've found the difference in ride quality (subjective, of course) between an "excellent" tubular (e.g., vittoria corsa) and a very high quality tire / artisinal tubular was bigger than expected. it's easy to get spoiled and hard to go back.

Geoff

by Geoff

Most people seem to be surprised that they can discern a difference. I think we are habituated to believing that manufactured product is more consistent, therefore better, than truly hand made articles. There is often an intangible 'something' that needs an artisans touch.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Perfect often equates lifeless, no?

Knowing that something's handmade often contributes to our respect for it too.
Quite often I see the same "kind" of people that ride tubulars (birds of a feather, I guess), custom built Ti bikes, listen to music using tube/valve electronics, vinyl records, analogue photography, you catch my drift, sharing quite similar views on life and moral values in general.

Ciao, ;)

P.S. A thread about the economical/ecological benefits of abolishing built-in obsoloscence, products made by people instead of machines, etc., etc. would be a nice page filler for the coming winter months........ :idea:

Cula

by Cula

I have in my possession a Vittoria Pave Evo CG 24 Tub to repair

Could I ask please if anyone has any experience in repairing such a Tub

Yes I know there is the tubular repair Sticky but without rereading the whole thread trying to find a reference to this particular tub, I'd thought I ask (that thread was partly to blame for me undertaking such a task anyhow !!! lol)

Anyway the problem is that the tube itself (Latex) seems to be stuck on the outside of the inside of the tyre if you get what I mean, so yes peel back the base tape split open the tyre and get in past the protective sheath but you can't seem to get to the (what I would call )the outside of the tube as it is stuck to the inside of the tyre ?

Would this just be from pressure and it should realize with a bit of careful peeling or is this stuck when the tube is manufactured ?

Is it or are they repairable in the conventional way ? Or a throw in bin job ?

Anyone done one ?

thanks

tetonrider

by tetonrider

fdegrove wrote:Knowing that something's handmade often contributes to our respect for it too.
Quite often I see the same "kind" of people that ride tubulars (birds of a feather, I guess), custom built Ti bikes, listen to music using tube/valve electronics, vinyl records, analogue photography, you catch my drift, sharing quite similar views on life and moral values in general.

i'll raise my hand to vinyl playback and choosing tubes over solid state, thought i've long since given up my nikon fm2n. can't vouch for my moral values. ;-)

kaaos

by kaaos

fdegrove wrote:...listen to music using tube/valve electronics...

guilty as charged

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Anyway the problem is that the tube itself (Latex) seems to be stuck on the outside of the inside of the tyre if you get what I mean, so yes peel back the base tape split open the tyre and get in past the protective sheath but you can't seem to get to the (what I would call )the outside of the tube as it is stuck to the inside of the tyre ?

That can only happen when the tubular has been injected with some latex based anti-puncture liquid.

Ciao, ;)

E777L

by E777L

I've been through all 19 pages here and I have a separate post too asking this... :noidea:

First puncture on new Verdestein Fortezza TriComp Pro tubulars after 500km. They have a latex tube and came with my very first tubular wheelset (switching to Conti Competition butyl next). The hole is tiny and I have a 100mL can of Michelin Stop&Go. There are no instructions on how to use it anywhere!

Questions:

1) Do I use the whole can for the single tyre?
2) Do I inject the stuff while the tyre is fully deflated it or partially?
3) How quickly do I fully inflate the tyre and can ride on it?

Thanks!

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Quite often 15 to 25ml of liquid latex suffice to fix a small puncture.
Since the can contains a propulsing gas it is best to use it when the tyre is deflated, usually the case when punctured...

Normally it only takes a few minutes for the product to solidify after which the tyre can be fully inflated to normal pressure and should be ready to use.

Pls. make an effort to at least search the forum for a solution to your problem. There is very little that has not been discussed yet. Thx.

Ciao, ;)

Cula

by Cula

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

That can only happen when the tubular has been injected with some latex based anti-puncture liquid.

Ciao, ;)

Thanks for the response, are you referring to when the tube sticks its self.....to its self ? As this is not the case, if not then are you saying that the liquid has soaked through the Latex tube and then stuck it all together on the inside of the tread ?

thanks

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

if not then are you saying that the liquid has soaked through the Latex tube and then stuck it all together on the inside of the tread ?

It is not unthinkable that liquid latex finds its way through the puncture, between the inner tube and the casing, solidifies there making the two boundaries inbetween stick together.

Whatever it was I see no reason to actually open up that tubular just to separate the inner tube from its casing.

Ciao, ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com