Ashima Rotor Ai2 opinions

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nrsnow

by nrsnow

I did a search, and I saw no one discussed if these rotors work. Has anyone tried them? They are pretty cheap from eBay at about $22.

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

Never tried them but I race XC with these, work superb and are a great price and light.

http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct ... ductid=176
"I could have done this job myself in five minutes, but as things turned out I had to spend two days trying to find out why it had taken someone else three weeks to do it wrong."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nrsnow

by nrsnow

kingkongsfinger wrote:Never tried them but I race XC with these, work superb and are a great price and light.

http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct ... ductid=176" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks. I've seen those on eBay. I wondered about those.

Do you use 140mm? Do you need an adaptor?

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

No 160 mm, front and rear (sorry wrong link). Run them with the latest XTR brakes, very good indeed.

Previously ran the XTR brakes with Hope floaters and the XTR ice tech rotors that came with the brakes. Both previous rotors were a lot heavier, no noticable performance difference (power and modulation) with the KCNC rotors once they had a few hours of riding on them.
"I could have done this job myself in five minutes, but as things turned out I had to spend two days trying to find out why it had taken someone else three weeks to do it wrong."

NS

by NS

I use the Ashimas on my cross bikes, they seem to work pretty well even when on the road and braking from speeds of 35-40mph on descents.

02GF74

by 02GF74

google for Ashima - the older model with the arms pointing the other way had a couple of failures - was posted n this forum too - so as long as you fit them the correct way round you ought to be fine, but stil is a bit off putting.

rotors with huge chunks missing, such as the KCNC razor that I have (160 and 140) can cause fork judder and I find are not a effective as discs with more metal in the braking surface e.g. hope SAW.

Mordi

by Mordi

I just ordered the Ai2 rotors to replace my third set of Airotors. The latter have been good for me -- light, excellent stopping power and no squealing. I use 160mm F/R and race XC and endurance events.

One thing I noticed after removing my latest set of Airotors -- they wore in a concave pattern, with the brake pad rounded in the middle and the rotor profile wearing in kind of an hourglass shape. Never happened on my other sets of rotors and the wear pattern couldn't be healthy (the rotors are really thin in the middle of the wear track).

Will try to report on the Ai2 rotors after I have some miles on them...

02GF74

by 02GF74

I suppose if you think about it, and this is my take on it so could be wrong, since there is less metal in the centre section, this is worn more and as it becomes thinner, the pad itself bends to where it even further.

i presume we're talking about this:

02GF74

by 02GF74

I am using promax which a slightly lighter than those and cheaper, similar to these:

they look like they is more metal in the centre so should not wear like you descibe.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PROMAX-160mm- ... 3a7c1e4b71

skiandbikecmh

by skiandbikecmh

I have been using them for about 4 months now with xtr race brakes. They work very well and are very light (obviously.) I have never experienced any fork shudder or brake fade from overheating.
My Bike:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110318" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

I have those on my Niner jet 9, XTR trail brakes, never any problem, a little pulsating in low speeds.
Experimental Prototype

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dennis

by Dennis

02GF74 wrote:I am using promax which a slightly lighter than those and cheaper, similar to these:

they look like they is more metal in the centre so should not wear like you descibe.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PROMAX-160mm- ... 3a7c1e4b71" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The promax 160mm is slightly lighter than the Ai2 in 180mm :wink: