Advice with wheel choice please!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nick

by nick

I need help with the choice of wheels for my lastest project. I`ve treated myself to a Colnago C59 frameset i`m going to build it up with Campag super record Deda bars & stem. My wheel choices are Bora ultra two`s Lightweight standard Gen 3`s or some Enve rims and maybe Tune hubs.
I weigh 63kg and 171cm tall. I don`t race the bike will be used for a few sportives and going to the cafe on the odd nice day if we get any hewre in the uk.
Cheers nick

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Not considering Hyperons?
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Either LW's or Hyperons will look the best, which in my opinion is what is most important to the vast majority whether they admit it or not.

Nothing else will do for getting to the cafe!

LionelB

by LionelB

Have you also considered the Lighweight Meilenstein Obermayer ? That should get you to the cafe pretty fast :D

LouisN

by LouisN

Agreed with the above :lol: . Best would be with a special hand painted finish (by some designer marketed by Rapha) to match the frame.

Louis :)

dmp

by dmp

I just saw a build like this at my local shop- black C59, SR EPS- he had new Hyperion's on it and it was simply stunning!

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

If you're only riding to the Café I would get the Lightweight Fernweg wheels, and if not that *do not* have anything shallower than 81mm.
Accept no compromises.

Other options for the Café wheels:
Reynolds RZR 92
ZIPP 808 Firecrest
Enve SES 8.9

Again, nothing shallower than 81mm. You need to look like you're rollin', son.

Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

fa63

by fa63

That clip is hilarious :D

Another vote for Hyperons.

P.S. You can find C59s with different wheels on my photoblog:

http://ft-atalay.blogspot.com/2012/02/colnago-c59.html

nick

by nick

Hi thanks for the input guys.
I never thought of a pair of Hyperons but I like the look of them in a C59!
Also it would keep the build 99% Italian which I like the idea of.
Once I start to get some parts ordered I will post some pictures.
Cheers nick

Lig

by Lig

Hi Nick,

I have ridden the wheels you are considering, and I think the first decision to make is whether you want deep rim or not? Performance wise LWs are way above the rest IMHO. If you were going deep rim then LW Standards (Meilensteins) or shallow then Ventoux (Gipfelsturm). I had some LW tubs and switched to LW Clinchers and they are absolutely superb - I think you would be hard pushed to notice the difference again IMHO but am sure many would disagree...

Cheers,
Lig.

tommasini

by tommasini

nick wrote: .....the bike will be used for a few sportives and going to the cafe on the odd nice day if we get any hewre in the uk.
Cheers nick

Hey Nick - when asking for recommendations......what is the performance (or style) criteria that you hope to meet with this wheelset - for instance "going to the cafe" - what criteria from a wheelset do you hope to satisfy? :shock:

mxdclt

by mxdclt

I just recently went through the whole new wheel search process and ended up getting a pair of 2013 Mavic CCU's and couldn't be happier. The ride I find is very smooth (though I am pretty lucky that most roads I ride around here are in relatively good condition), there are very light but still extremely durable (they are built to be just as durable as Ksyrium's which are pretty bomb proof in my experience), and the 12K weave looks awesome. Good luck on your search and definitely post some picks one it's built!

nick

by nick

Hi guys, thanks for the input on the wheel choice. Performace wise I`m looking for something that rolls well and isn`t too much of a handful in the wind. I quite like the idea of Campag Hyperons and some nice tubs! I have a pair of Bora ultra 2`s in an other bike and had no problems with them at all.
Cheers nick

Montana

by Montana

Hyperons would be the way to go then! I have set on my C50. They would be a good match for your Ultras for windy conditions and climbing

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

Lig wrote:Hi Nick,

I have ridden the wheels you are considering, and I think the first decision to make is whether you want deep rim or not? Performance wise LWs are way above the rest IMHO. If you were going deep rim then LW Standards (Meilensteins) or shallow then Ventoux (Gipfelsturm). I had some LW tubs and switched to LW Clinchers and they are absolutely superb - I think you would be hard pushed to notice the difference again IMHO but am sure many would disagree...

Cheers,
Lig.

Do you honestly think Lightweight Ventoux are "way above the rest"?
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup: