Show me Your Tuning!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

I want to start a thread for all those true Weight Weenies out there who do serious bike tuning! I dont want to see parts that you brought that are stupidly expensive, i want to see you parts that you took out to the man cave / garage, and ran a dremel through them. Spent a ridiculous number of hours on to save some grams. I want to see parts that you built yourselves from scratch, i want to see drilled out, dremelled and sanded people!

This thread shall be for the admiration of the members brave enough to handle a drill on a $700 pair of levers etc etc...

So brave, noble and true Weight Weenies, you now have a place to show off your adventures, be they failed attempts, or raving successes! I want to see them!
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

To start off ill put forward my contributions, i being 17 / 18 years old and having little money :( So to get my ride under the magic 5.00kg i took to it with a small range of power tools! Here goes:

Tuned Sram Red Rear Derailleur, 11 hours worth of work on it, final weight = 104.67 Grams. Saving of just over 40 grams. Have ridden over 5000km on it with no major failures (bar jockey wheels, see "AFC Pulley Wheel Review" Thread). Light and functional, and i think its pretty too... Plans to go under 95 Grams yet!

Tuned Sram Red Levers, 18 hours work in the pair, with continual research on hoods underway, waiting on some Clamps from Berk, Final weight will be under 210 Grams, originally weighed 298 Grams, so saving of around 90 Grams all up! Put 3000km on them with absolutely no worries at all!

Tuned Pedals that i will not say the name of (see "Tuned Pedals called PlaySpeed if you reversed the name..." thread for more info), 30 hours work in these, took a standard pair of Chromoly PlaySpeeds and took them down to 117.80 Grams from 208 Grams, 80 Grams gone, Handbuilt all of the alloy parts in it, and tuned the Ti axle, (boring and milling it), Second version plans are underway!

Custom Built Barrel adjuster and Nut, made out of Delrin, for the rear derailleur and down-tube adjuster as well, functions perfectly, and significantly lighter than what i've seen available for purchase here in NZ.

Home Made Areolite Pedals, on a Stainless Axle for my first Generation versions, have devised a system that can fit these to any existing axle (Titanium, Steel, Stanless... etc), Delrin barrels, lightest version i built (Stainless Steel Axle) = 65.6 Grams a pair!

I've also built ISP seat clamps and Toppers, my current version i ride now weighs a total of <20 Grams. All custom built Yokes, Thru Rod and Cradles! Pics to come!

Now Show me what you have all built! Hopefully im not the only one!! :beerchug:

Brandonnie

by Brandonnie

I have sram red levers and rear derailers which have become scuffed up during a crash. Ill probably do some material removal soon so instead of people going like :o you crashed new sram red!!!! I can tune em and say yeee lightweight!!!

http://imageshack.us/a/img820/83/imagelfqy.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img705/3676/imageqvq.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img600/3667/imagefopq.jpg

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Not 2013 Red!!

P.s. run a drill through it, it'll make you feel better :beerchug:

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Well this is dissapointing? Where have all the true weight weenies gone?

Privateer

by Privateer

I don't know where the real weenies are, but I'll happily let you do that to my Red shifters! Impressive work.

wally318

by wally318

OK I'll bite.
First pic is of Campy record carbon brake levers that I put on my hillclimb bike.
I think they're about 150 grams from the 220 start point.
Levers were shortened on account of no drops. Aluminum pins machined, cable pull replaced w/ 7075 alum. Excess hood rubber removed. All 4 pcs. of lever housing bodies were
epoxied together and then hollowed out as 1 unit, not to extreme measures.
Lever bodeis were epoxied to the carbon bars. You've heard of bar stem combos, well this is a bar lever combo. And then the lever bodies/bar received a carbon tape wrap sort of
like a clamp, but a wrap.
Attachments
P1020885.JPG
AEROLITUS-defender of the faith

wally318

by wally318

Second pic. is of the shifter assembly. The down tube shifter boss popped off the epoxy
1/4 way up the 1 st. race. So rather than redesign a newer better, heavier shift boss with more contact area... I came up with this. Brake shifting w/ a down tube shifter.
The area where the shifter housing is mounted was cosiderably thinned a would have broken
with repeated shifter flexing. So first it received a carbon cap reinforcement. Then the housing
was epoxied and riveted in place. Then the shifter boss stud was threaded in and locked in place
with a ti pin from a spoke. Complete assembly is 18-19 grams. Cable housing comes out of
the rear side of brake lever housing.
Attachments
P1020886.JPG

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

@wally318, that is BADASS! This is the true weight weenie stuff! Bits that you've built that is functional and LIGHT :beerchug:

Congrats! Whats everyone else got?

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Here is a link to my dura ace group that I tuned. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=106537 I 'll post picts of my red group also
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

And the true weenies are emerging!

kgt

by kgt

weeracerweenie wrote:@wally318, that is BADASS! This is the true weight weenie stuff!

Or maybe... frankenweenie 8)

artray

by artray

There is already loads of tuning posts . This is not needed .

wally318

by wally318

Actually it is NEEDED. How many posts/threads have you seen on here in the last month or 2 about some ultralight components that some of the members are working on or making themselves. This is what this forum is really about. Not just how wide can I open my wallet
for a carbon peice of eye candy. It is NEEDED. It may help to inspire some of the newer,
younger members on this forum to come up with ideas/projects of their own.
AND... we won't see posts like:What colour handlebar tape should I use? Or... Help me spend
$1000.00 .

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

weeracerweenie wrote:Well this is dissapointing? Where have all the true weight weenies gone?

A lot of us have already posted in threads specific to those components. No point in repeating those existing posts.

But, this thread is good and it can show generally what is being worked on.
Personally I prefer specific threads because, if they are properly named and described, they will assist people who bother to search. Threads like this [general threads] end up being too long to read which a tuning enthusiast would need to do in order to throughly understand a process or component. It's like trying to search for something in the "PRO CYCLING DISCUSSION THREAD" - it's nearly 1000 pages now. Plenty of content, but very few are willing to read through it.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com