SRAM red 2.2 chainset?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

istigatrice

by istigatrice

spotted this on CRC, Any info from anyone?
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Imaking20

by Imaking20

That's a picture of an old red crank with the description and weight of the new crank.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Hence the confusion... If the quoted weight is correct that looks like a bargain buy to me

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

bobbyOCR

by bobbyOCR

I bought one.

It came with a ceramic BB.

Indeed the first gen Red crank. It looks like it's an OEM part.

I'm not complaining. It's a bargain. But it's not particularly light and the rings aren't the best. The price was the advantage.
Cyclist turned music producer

Visiting South West Australia? Visit Crank n' Cycles!

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Hey BobbOCR, thanks for your input, do you remember how much it weighs?

bobbyOCR

by bobbyOCR

655g arms and rings.

98g BB without centre section.

EDIT: This is contradictory to the listed weight on CRC, however it aligns with the claimed weight from SRAM. I was happy to see it come in at claimed.

tweeks

by tweeks

hi guys,

is it true that 53/39T crankset is more suitable for more advanced rider ( as in powerful ) to pedal ?

Cos i was thinking of getting this Sram Red chainset too as it's value for money and my local lbs told me i should stick with 50/34T ones for easier less tiring ride.

appreciate your comments...! cheers!

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I wouldn't call myself an advanced rider, but I live in a mostly flat region (worse here is only >20% for a few hundred meters) so I don't need a compact. While it does depend on your strength, Terrain can also play a role in this too

Peter_E

by Peter_E

I also got them. Replaced the rings for 50/39 ct2 I had. Hard to beat at that price.
image.jpg

bobbyOCR

by bobbyOCR

tweeks wrote:hi guys,

is it true that 53/39T crankset is more suitable for more advanced rider ( as in powerful ) to pedal ?

Cos i was thinking of getting this Sram Red chainset too as it's value for money and my local lbs told me i should stick with 50/34T ones for easier less tiring ride.

appreciate your comments...! cheers!

:welcome:

Changing ratios will not make a shred of difference unless you are experiencing one thing. The only reason to step up to a 53/39 is if you are running out of gears on the upper end and want a 53x12 or 11. If you already have compact, stick with it. A 50 outer is plenty big enough to push for the majority of mere mortals and if you decide to go up some properly steep stuff, you will be much more comfortable.

There are no set rules when it comes to speed. People always looking for excuses will turn to changing equipment. People serious about the training will eventually setlle into a reliable, trustworthy equipment set that lets them ride without thinking.

Pros are another ball game. They get given trade tools, set their fit up, and couldn't care what's under them. They are going to ride damn fast regardless. People read too much into what bikes are sitting under the world's fastest.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tweeks

by tweeks

Thanks bobbyOCR ..!