The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
marcopantani

by marcopantani

Thanks a lot for the feedback so far. Just a last check for my build: old alpha 340 rims, the version around 355g. 24f 32r. Bhs superlight wide front hub 71g laced 2x and SL211 SuperLight Rear Hub - 206g laced 3x both sides. Sapim lasers all over except rear drive side where there will be sapim race. Alloy nipples. I weigh 67 kg. Everything ok?

And a question: Will there be a noticable increase in lateral rigidity and evening out the spoke tension between drive side and non drive side if I go with the bhs SL218 Rear Hub - 218 grams, which will come in silver in january? Ds spacing center to flange is 17.1 mm in comparison to 16.75 mm for the SL 211.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

0.35mm will make some differene to tension balance but not alot. It also depends on NDS flange spacing which you have not stated. you know the earlier 340's which you have where proe to cracking. Keep the tensions as low as you can.

GTPjon

by GTPjon

Opinions please on my plans for a lightweight Al clincher wheelset. It's going to be the day-to-day wheelset for bike #1 to avoid the hassles of running tubs on long training rides on roads covered in hedge trimmings, potholes etc. I'd like something comparable weight to my Zipp (non-FC) 404s that will also handle crits, hillclimbs etc., so I'm looking at <1350g for the wheels.

Rims: ZTR Alpha 340
Hubs: Chris King R45
Spokes: Sapim CX-ray
Nipples: Aluminium
Lacing: 24h radial front (heads out), 28h 2x rear

I weigh 76kg, not putting out Pro power or anything, but I do get annoyed by flex / brake rub on the Zipps, so would like to avoid that if possible.

Should I look at an Alpha 400 on the back for a bit more beef? Brass nipples on the back? Different rim such as Velocity A23?

If only Mavic did a slightly lighter Open Pro in 24/28 drillings!

racingcondor

by racingcondor

I've been meaning to build myself a set of wheels on good hubs and Alu tubular rims as a reasonably priced, rebuildable crit wheel set and with some of the offers on in the UK at the moment I'm going to be using DA7900 hubs. What I'm undecided on though are rims and spoke count.

I'm 147lbs but like to run my brake blocks close to the rims and would like to avoid rub. Currently I'm riding 28/28 2 cross Ambrosio Excellight rims with CK R45s which are great until they take a knock when they tend to need a tweak.

Options (and questions/comments)
Velocity Escape (I understand these are stiffer than the crono. Could I get away with 24/28 on these?)
Ambrosio Crono (I know these are flexible, would 28 spokes be enough for a crit wheel?)
Mavic Reflex (I'd like CD but 32 hole only seems excessive).

24 and 28 spoke would be built 2 cross. 32 3 cross. Same lacing both sides in all cases. Spokes will probably be Sapim lasers (race DS rear) or Pillar Bladed all round.

Any thoughts / suggestions?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

@GTPjon how about the Velocity Aerohead for 24/28 drillings. I think you might still get some wheel flex at the back. The stan's alpha 340 is not a stiff rim.

Also try the Velocity A23 a bit heavier though.

Mackers

by Mackers

@ racingcondor: What about the Kinlin TB25?

racingcondor

by racingcondor

Mackers -

I was shying away from the TB-25 as it adds 50g per rim (is the extra stiffness from the V and extra weight worth it?) and I was hoping to get the wheelset close to 1,350g.

I know the easy route to a very light wheelset would be to dump the DA hubs but at my price limit that would mean downgrading to Novatech rather than upgrading to an equally tough alternative.

If the 28 hole Crono will work then I am probably best off with that in reality (quality and readily available in the UK).

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

hrono's should weigh about 370g each. Novatec A291 and F482 or F582 hub if use use campag drivetrain weight 325g per pair. Spaim Laser spokes with alloy nipple or CX-rays are about 5g total each for the lengths you need. So that combo will weight in about 1350g. With Durace hubs add another 55g to that total.

Novatec hubs are really very good. I use them personally and am happy with them. This is the build I would go for if it were me.

DJT21

by DJT21

GTPjon wrote:Opinions please on my plans for a lightweight Al clincher wheelset. It's going to be the day-to-day wheelset for bike #1 to avoid the hassles of running tubs on long training rides on roads covered in hedge trimmings, potholes etc. I'd like something comparable weight to my Zipp (non-FC) 404s that will also handle crits, hillclimbs etc., so I'm looking at <1350g for the wheels.

Rims: ZTR Alpha 340
Hubs: Chris King R45
Spokes: Sapim CX-ray
Nipples: Aluminium
Lacing: 24h radial front (heads out), 28h 2x rear

I weigh 76kg, not putting out Pro power or anything, but I do get annoyed by flex / brake rub on the Zipps, so would like to avoid that if possible.

Should I look at an Alpha 400 on the back for a bit more beef? Brass nipples on the back? Different rim such as Velocity A23?

If only Mavic did a slightly lighter Open Pro in 24/28 drillings!

DT 240 hubs
Brass nipples
Just plain old double butted spokes on the rear.

lechat

by lechat

How about the A291SB-Sl / F482SB-SL. 290gms and $140 + Shipping from BDOP Cycling.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Those hubs should be good as well. Lighter than DT Swiss and cheaper and better DS flange spacing too.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Those hubs are also 289g (60g front, 229g rear) on my scales... makes it a much better deal :lol:
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

trychle

by trychle

slightly off-topic:

Why are white spokes so damn expensive?

legs 11

by legs 11

Have you ever tried coating something as small as a spoke? It's not easy. Plus, they aren't that popular so the extra cost of the coating is divided by a relatively small customer volume.
Pedalling Law Student.

trychle

by trychle

Alright, but aren't black spokes powercoated as well?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com