Dura Ace C35 7900 - Decals under clearcoat or?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bregne

by Bregne

Considering a pair of theese. Decals under clearcoat or what?

If i can't take of the decals, they're not for me.

Thanks a lot

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

You can take off decals under clear, it just requires more skill.

quattrings

by quattrings

Geoff wrote:You can take off decals under clear, it just requires a voided warranty.

Fixed that for ya :wink:

Petterii

by Petterii

In my wheelset decals are above clearcoat and peel off very easily. If your talking about 7900 series.

konky

by konky

yes same for me with the 7900 C35. Over clear coat, if there is one, and peel off easily. Damn fine wheels too. Incredibly smooth and stiff and proper durable. They make Boras feel like they're made of balsa wood. Not as sporty but much more solid.

tetonrider

by tetonrider

+1 for my c35s having decals over the clear. they are shimano prototypes, though it sounds like this may be true for the commercially-available 7900s.

also, geoff's right. :)

Geoff

by Geoff

Like lots of the mods you will see on this forum, each person needs to make a call on what they want. Sometimes you can't have your cake and eat it, too. On the spectrum of 'mods-likely-to-result-in-failure-requiring-warranty-replacement', I would place 'removing decals from factory rims' further down the risk profile than, say, lightening a stem or seatpost.

civdic

by civdic

I put a call into Enve the other day to order some black decals. I asked the guy about warrantee on wheels without decals. He said they warranty wheels without decals. He said the structural integrity of the wheel doesn't change by removing a decal. He did say however that a friend of his who rides easton wheels removed the decals by sanding though the clear coat. The Eastons had a spoke issue and they were not warranted because Easton said the structural integrity had been changed.

I've seen guys with C35s on the cross circuit and they just remove them. They get scuffed up and junk starts sticking to the adhesive and makes them a pain to clean.

sawyer

by sawyer

konky wrote:yes same for me with the 7900 C35. Over clear coat, if there is one, and peel off easily. Damn fine wheels too. Incredibly smooth and stiff and proper durable. They make Boras feel like they're made of balsa wood. Not as sporty but much more solid.

It's well documented that Boras are pretty solid for most riders (heavy/incompetent are always at risk) in normal riding conditions

I knocked one out of true earlier this year in a big stack, but equally I've had a DA hub fail on me, so they aren't infallible either.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

konky

by konky

I had a set of Bora Ultras and I loved them big time. I'd say Boras are better in that they are so sporty and pure class. Shimano C35 tubular are certainly not better wheels just different. They are more every day and feel more durable, more solid. It would be nice to have both. Boras for racing and C35 tubular for training.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com