Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jspaceman

by jspaceman

So, I sent my Bont Vaypor size 46 shoes back, as they were a little too small. I ordered some size 47 Vaypors from the same online shop. Today I received an email telling me that there aren't any size 47 Vaypors left in stock and that I'll have to wait until January before they get some new ones in. :evil:

I'm thinking of cancelling the order and placing an order directly with Bont. That would also give me the added option of ordering them in the custom colours that I want.

Bont's website, however; is a little vague about shipping. It just says that all orders are shipped via FedEx. Has anyone here ordered from Bont directly? How much did it cost to ship to the US or Canada? Did FedEx charge you brokerage fees, or were those already included in the cost of shipping?

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

darkhorse1

by darkhorse1

Forgive me if this has come us before but i have tried to search function with little luck regarding this.

Here is my question. I wear a size 45 specialized s-works road shoe which are a touch big a size 44.5 would likely be ideal as a 44 may be a tough to tight, I was wondering if any on here have a direct sizing comparison of these shoes i.e. if a 44.5 specialized what would this be in the vaypors? And also what about the width? Apparently i have narrow feet as there is room in my s-works, are the bonts narrower or wider?

Thanks for your time and replies

:thumbup:

Giant DK

by Giant DK

I use Specialized size 43 and am currently on Bont size 42. Size 42,5 would probably be better for two reasons. First size 42 is a tight fit, and I had to heat them many times to expand them so they could fit. Also and can't get my Look cleats as much forward as I would like. With Speedplay that was not a problem though...

So what I am trying to say is, that I think for my feet Bont should be half a number smaller (my feet are pretty slim).
Techn writer at Velomore Denmark

My Simplon Pavo II

Krackor

by Krackor

I used to wear a gen 1 Specialized S-works shoe (with the single boa lace, large flap across the instep, silver color) in size 45. I tried several sizes of Bont A-two (essentially same shoe as the Vaypor, but different closure system) and found the 45 to be the closest fit for me. In hindsight, I could have gone for the 45-wide instead and it would have fit better.

Are your specialized shoes too long? Too wide? Too high? If they are too long, then the 44.5 Vaypors might work for you. My 45 Specialized were the right length for me, and the 44.5 A-two was just barely too short. If they are too wide (would be surprising considering the recent models of Specialized are somewhat narrow), then Bonts may just be too wide in general for you; their standard sizes run wider than Specialized.

mxdclt

by mxdclt

@jspaceman

I have ordered Bont shoes directly from their website. The shipping fees to southern US were very reasonalble at $25. I had an issue with my shoes that caused me to send them back and their customer support was very good also, always replying quickly and very helpful. I would not hesitate to order from their site. The only downside is that the shipping method they use, it will take roughly 10 days from when they ship it until you receive it. Hope this helps.

jspaceman

by jspaceman

Turns out that I won't have to wait until January afterall. I received an email saying that my Bonts shipped on Monday. It turns out that the online retailer received an unexpected shipment from Bont which contained some size 47-Wide Vaypors, so they sent a pair to me. I hope they fit this time.

I currently own a pair of Sidi Dominator Mega mountain bike shoes in a size 46, and a pair of Shimano road shoes in a 46. It's been my experience that the Bonts tend to fit small. I had the size 46-Wide Bont Vaypors and my toes felt a little crunched up inside. If the 47-Wide Bonts are too big then I'll try the 46.5-Wide instead.

baalzamon

by baalzamon

I finally got my Bont Vaypor wide in 45's. Couldn't get my foot into them without heat molding so in they go. Feet are finally feeling OK except for one section on both my feet. I'm getting marks on some of my toes and it seems to be coming from the tongue flap just past the stitching. In my bonts I can feel where the end of the tongue is glued to the top and I believe that is causing my marks on both my right and left toes, and exposed stitching on the left shoe.
Anyone else getting this?
I've asked someone local and his vaypors don't feature that, so I'm wondering if mine are missing something and I've got a warranty claim in the pipeworks.

I might add within 5 minutes of wearing the shoes these indentations on my toes occur and yes it does hurt

zerocool5468

by zerocool5468

i've got some 3 hole bont vaypors and am a speedplay user. i would like to avoid using the speedplay adapter since it adds so much stack height. i came across the northwave speedplay adapter that adds virtually no stack height. has anyone or does anyone know if these can be used on bonts?

if not is the only alternative to drill a new hole?

thanks.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

zerocool5468, the Northwave Extreme Tech shoes that the Speedplay adapter is designed for have 3 slots in the sole to hold it. If the Bonts only have the Look pattern holes it won't fit without modification.
Attachments
Northwave Extreme Tech.jpg

zerocool5468

by zerocool5468

hmm ok how would i know if they are look drilled or not- ive never used looks.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

This should clarify it. Look pattern is also known as the standard 3 hole pattern.
Attachments
Northwave Extreme Tech 2.JPG

zerocool5468

by zerocool5468

i see thank you.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

I am using the Northwave adapter, and had to drill all 3 holes (Size 39 shoes) which anyone with limited handy-person skills can do. I cut up the Northwave triangular plastic with the 'nuts' and just used the nuts (because this has been specifically designed to fit the Northwave shoes, which will not feel nice from the soles of your feet if left intact). On the outside of the shoes the adapters are not a perfect fit (because of the shape of the underside of the Bont), but the 0.5mm stack (being just the thickness if the stainless steel plate) achieved is what I am statisfied with.

For me, really, using the 3mm (or more) plastic or alloy adapters supplied by Speedplay defeats the very reason of going with Speedplay pedals viz minimal stack. And I've found Speedplay-specific shoes hard to come by and costing a lot more. I will go this same way on my next pair of Bont, if faced with the same Bont-supply situation.

Riv-nuts that Bont supply, may work better as far as regards to securing the cleat to the shoe.

The 3 slots on the Northwave shoe are specific to the Northwave adapters. The 3 holes I drilled on my Bont are in lieu of those slots, also meaning that there is no fore-aft adjustment also ie you've got to know where you want your cleat. You get some sideways adjustment on your Speedplay cleat of course.

I consider myself a medium level handy-person and I did it all no-sweat. On the other hand, I won't put it past the average shoe-maker to botch it all up!

zerocool5468

by zerocool5468

wow great reply but i have to ask why use the adapter if you were willing to drill the holes? can't you just put the cleat straight on then?

shimmeD

by shimmeD

The 'flat' section undersides of my Bont shoes are not entirely flat or big enough: that's Size 39, bigger sizes may be maybe not have a flat enough area. Have a good look at your shoes and the Speedplay-supplied adapter plates you have installed. The Northwave adapter takes up (some of - as I said the set-up is not perfect) the slack. So yes it works but not perfectly for me.
I'm not precious about drilling, modifying or hacking any component if I think I can end up with something better. In this case I managed to end up with 3mm or so less stack, so it was well worth it.
Less is more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com