My fit - new video page 4

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

will102

by will102

Yeah well i feel like much higher and i might be over reaching (maybe due to the setback). So it feels like my saddle would have to come down quite a bit to have a flat foot like that.

edesigner

by edesigner

It looks like he could be coasting so basically look at it with that as a possibility as well.

My friend Thurlow when I was starting to race back in the late 80s helped me a bit with seat height and it stuck. He looked at me - had me take my peddle to the bottom stroke (crankarms straight up and down) and drop my heel as far as I could.I forget the exact calculation but I recall it was close to around 1/2" was ideal for proper downstroke power transfer. It's very old school but it worked, and you got the feel of it quickly.

There are so many more advanced ways to do this now I am sure, but I have to say I can jump on any bike without a tape measure and be going in no time.

Remember you are more likely to hurt yourself with a seat that's too high vs too low. Be careful this time of year too. Muscles, tendons.etc.. have an aversion to being tweaked when the weather is colder :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Dezznuts is most likely coasting in that position. Plus fingers are on the brakes.

I would agree with various others:

Saddle a bit Low.
Saddle a bit far back.
Stem quite high.

I don't know if others have posted thishere but you may need to work on your body also for a proper fit to be comfortable. Flexibility in the hamstrings back will be key.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

I'm gonna have to say your saddle is a little low and a lot too far back. I have a feeling that if you had scales under the tires, the front/rear distribution would be significantly rear biased. So up n forward with the butt, similar hip angle, bringing the bars forward and a little down.

will102

by will102

Right so new video, made a couple small changes-mostly saddle forward a bit. haven't touched the bars yet.

cheers

will

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkXIxxXf ... e=youtu.be

Willier

by Willier

You should slam the stem :!:

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

The key to getting lower in the front with a nice flat back is to rotate forward with your pelvis. Otherwise you will end up with the Armstrong "humpback" position if you drop your bars the way you currently sit. It will likely take some time to evolve to a lower position with your bars below where they are now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Geoff

by Geoff

Ok. That looks pretty good. Over time (i.e., over the course of the season, not right away), I think I would still raise the saddle. I would only try 2mm at a time. I would probably do no more than 5 or 6mm. The saddle setback looks really good.

I would recommend leaving the bike that way for a month or so. Next, I would recommend removing spacers. Again, I would just do that one at a time. The idea is to use the off-season to make thes changes, not to start experimenting while you are racing and training. You have enough going on during the season...

will102

by will102

Hey thanks for the advice. The only thing is that i feel a little bit overstretched at the moment like tightness in hams and calves

ave

by ave

If you can, pls. post a biggish resolution still photo of the bike, without you.

will102

by will102

no probs
Attachments
bike.jpg

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

The position is new, so feeling a bit stretched or otherwise different in certain muscles is normal. If you get PAIN, different from soreness, stop.
Agree with the earlier post on rotating your hips. Think about how you sit on a toilet.
For the videos, it would be good to see your arms bent more. It's typical for people to straighten their arms when riding indoors. There's no reason not to. Outside, you bend your arms to absorb road shock and to get out of the wind. So if you imagine you're going into a stiff headwind, you will bend your arms and lower your body. Also, keep loooking forward instead of down, just like outdoor riding.
Those changes will make it easier to evaluate you.
Thanks

will102

by will102

Ok this is something i really don't understand. When i'm on the rollers my fit feels very different to when i'm on the road. When i get out on the road it feels like i am putting much less weight on the saddle and the saddle also feels lower, doesn't feel like i'm reaching for the pedals like it does a bit on the rollers. Any thoughts on this???

Will

Geoff

by Geoff

That is just the differential nature of load in the real world.

Rollers are perfectly smooth and level. On the road, you are constantly changing the load on the pedals, so it 'feels' like that. If you had an ergometer with an eddy-current brake programmed to change load, it would feel like that, too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

will102

by will102

Ok so here's a new video. Saddle height has gone up slightly and ive tried to relax my arms a bit more to give a more realistic upper body position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbh1jikE ... e=youtu.be