Fast light training wheels.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I agree Novatec A291 and F482 hubs are absolutly fine and cheap. They weigh 325g a pair so not the lightest but they are cheap. Alchemy hubs will save 40g but cost more. I would rather spend the money saved elsewhere perhaps on a night out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

kavitator wrote:Zondas - but rear rim is heavy at 550g

Really? What generation of Zonda's (I heard they got lighter recentley) Would the Shamal rims weigh the same? I can't imagine a 550g rim building into a 820g (weight of Shamal) wheel...

and on the note of hubs, why not go for the Novatec SL version? My set weighed 289g (60 front and 229 rear)
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

kavitator

by kavitator

I weighted Zonda rear rim 2010
hub has around 240g i think

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

A Shamal has almost no spokes which save alot weight. If the rear hub is 220g and spokes are 60g that leaves 540g for the rim so it possible to have aheavy rim and a light wheel. Very low spoke counts are needed though but that is how all these factory wheelset are constructed. spokes are expensive so less of them are used.

I prefer to have mass at the hub rather than at the rim.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Weren't the 2010 Zonda the lightest ever? I read a forum that said some of them came in at under 1500g for the set :shock:

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

sawyer

by sawyer

bm0p700f wrote:A Shamal has almost no spokes which save alot weight. If the rear hub is 220g and spokes are 60g that leaves 540g for the rim so it possible to have aheavy rim and a light wheel. Very low spoke counts are needed though but that is how all these factory wheelset are constructed. spokes are expensive so less of them are used.

Shamal and Zonda spoke counts are the same.

Shamal hubs will be slightly lighter due to carbon shell and ceramic bearings in some models.

Spokes will be pretty similar weight.

Rims in Shamals will be lighter, and they are a nicer shape (Zondas are more boxy). But I own both and Zondas are better ... though weirdly the braking surface is noticeably inferior, but still fine.

Actual weight difference between the sets is c.100g
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

sawyer

by sawyer

bm0p700f wrote:A Shamal has almost no spokes which save alot weight. If the rear hub is 220g and spokes are 60g that leaves 540g for the rim so it possible to have aheavy rim and a light wheel. Very low spoke counts are needed though but that is how all these factory wheelset are constructed. spokes are expensive so less of them are used.

Note that for the heavy rim you get something extremely solid and pretty stiff by clincher standards, so it's a trade-off.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

istigatrice

by istigatrice

or you could build a lightish rim with an adequate spoke count and not trade anything off...

Timujin

by Timujin

Hi,

So. I have currently got Bora One's... Windy weather is upon us, we don't really get winter in the south of Spain... I want to get a new wheelsets and have boiled it down to 2 wheelsets.

Has anyone got opinions on the 2. Shamans seem bomb proof but the f2r being full carbon clincher are way lighter. We do have a lot of mountains/hilly roads which are perfect for the winter training/base miles.

The price point is circa £800 and don't want to spend more than that. Shamals are a cheaper by £200 too....

Any thoughts appreciated.

http://www.ffwdwheels.com/products/whee ... r/f2r-fcc/

http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/wheels ... tid_10.jsp

Thanks

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

for that money you'd get some light alu clinchers handbuilt. Tune hubs, cx rays and stans alphas or similar might be an option. Carbon clinchers and Spanish mountains are unlikely to mix when running the brakes. Appreciate you're in Spain so winter is unlikely to be as grimey as more northerly Europe but I would personally still prefer an alu brake track. p.s :welcome:

mr_tim

by mr_tim

You really getting the pair of FFWD wheels for £800? Most retail seems about £1200.

Shamals sound good but really you don't need to spend so much for a training set - Zondas would tick most boxes. That's where I'd go if I wanted a factory wheel for training duties.

I'd 2nd the idea of hand builts that said. There is nothing sadder than wearing out the brake track on shamals only to find out a rebuild will be about £250..
The alphas are a light weight rim - if you are braking heavily / frequently etc I'd go with something else just so it lasts longer than a season or two - I ran thru a rear alpha within about 3k kms of heavier usage, so don't use these rims so much.

I have an archetype build that has been more 'all purpose' with better longevity thus far but really there are loads of good value choices out there, just talk it thru with a good builder.. You don't need to spend anywhere near your budget.

Timujin

by Timujin

Thanks for the info Guys, will look into handbuilt ones.. the thing is I live in Gibraltar and that option is not so easy..

As for the FFWD, yes. There is a offer on wiggle and I dont pay VAT when delivery is to Gibraltar.. free delivery of course... so £850...

As for weather, not massive rain issues, well, i havnt seen it.. and if it rains, well, we dont go out, take the mountain bikes instead!!!

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Zonda 2 way fit will fit the bill perfectly.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

You could always lace Tune hubs to SL23 rims. That build in a 20/28 hole count would only come in at 1375 grams for the set.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

nice thinking zen, nice comfy ride too on a wider rim...