Ideas for weights training

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

I use the offseason to spend some time in the gym. I won't go into a discussion whether or not this is the best solution for cycling, but I feel I have made good results of it so far. It keeps me motivated during the dark months, and it's nice to train indoors once in a while.

My routine usually looks similar to this:

Warm up
Planks
Squat
Single leg press
Hyperextensions
Seated row
Cool down

I feel that it's time to mix it up a bit once again. Anybody got any ideas to new exercises to throw into the mix? Been thinking a bit about kettle swings as they are the shizzle at the moment, or maybe some mid-thigh hang-cleans?
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

konky

by konky

For core strength I do 100 angled press ups and 200 sit ups (30 are triple pause sit ups) every other day. No gym required, doesn't over build muscle and makes you feel you're like a stick of iron. I can ride all day long out of the saddle and makes me feel much more powerful when climbing. I generally feel a lot better on the bike. Core strength is king.

devinci

by devinci

I love all that core strength and "feel" must be good for bike power eh?

Rick

by Rick

At the risk of sounding old-fashioned and boring, how about some overhead presses, curls, chin-ups, bench presses, etc....you know, the standard basic exercises. You won't "bulk up" if done with light weights.

Another thing I really like is a timed circuit-training routine. It is hard to have the right environment where you can change machines and keep going on schedule, so a class is sometimes better for that. But believe me, it is heavily cardiovascular and will have you puking/fainting if you step into too quickly.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

If you have shoulder issues - swinging around a kettle bell will point them out for you.
Cleans, hang cleans, and snatches are great for adding thickness to your upper back... which I doubt you want... so you may choose to avoid that.

I'll concur with Rick on the traditional exercises; shoulder presses and some tricep work (close grip bench, tricep extension with rope or dumbbell etc) will help you support your body weight during those longs days in the saddle.

I'm a big fan of deadlifts either Romanian style (knees bent at start like the bottom position of a squat) or straight leg.. and SQUATS! That's like turning your body into a testosterone factory (without incurring the wrath of USADA/UCI).

Lately I've also been doing a single leg squat on a box. Setup a bench or platform 6-12 inches off the ground and stand with your left foot on and right foot off, bend your left knee until your right foot is almost to the ground (but don't touch!) and then raise back up - extending to the ball of your (left) foot. Then repeat on the other side. Hold dumbbells in your hands for added intensity.

And workout with a stopwatch - timing your rests and keeping them to a minimum will really add intensity to any program.

devinci

by devinci

Rick wrote:At the risk of sounding old-fashioned and boring, how about some overhead presses, curls, chin-ups, bench presses, etc....you know, the standard basic exercises. You won't "bulk up" if done with light weights.

Another thing I really like is a timed circuit-training routine. It is hard to have the right environment where you can change machines and keep going on schedule, so a class is sometimes better for that. But believe me, it is heavily cardiovascular and will have you puking/fainting if you step into too quickly.

you wont bulk up if done with HEAVY weights. Whats the whole point of high rep low weight? Max strength emphasizes motor-unit recruitment and does not damage muscle fibers as it would be the case with a 8-15 rep range.

I dont see the point in isolated exercises either, waste of time IMO

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Devinci, get your logic out of here!

(that was sarcasm... in case it was lost in translation to Canadian :wink: )

devinci

by devinci

LOL

well im just doing my best to inform you guys.

You can do some body weight high rep exercises as well, good for some muscles imbalances and injury prevention but specific exercises should be adressed by a pro.

Other then that, go heavy if you dont want to bulk up!

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

You have to accurately assess the objectives of the weight training to determine what you should do.

As a general rule I avoid all machines, there are very few applications where their use is warranted.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

Imaking20

by Imaking20

That's not a great practice for novices without supervision though.

And I love a few exercises on hammer strength and smith!

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

^ that's one of those things that seems true on the face of it but doesn't play out in reality. Because of the notion that machines are "safe" this can result in injuries just as bad if not worse than those using free weights. Neither should be indulged by the uninitiated. For those who are not instructed on the use of free weights then it doesn't take much to get educated.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I didnt mean to imply that machines were safer - people can do anything wrong at the gym (I've seen firsthand). Poor form can lead to injury on anything but its harder to drop weight on yourself with a machine.

Brandonnie

by Brandonnie

My favorites are powerclean-jerk and snatch. Makes me work harder seeing everyone stops what their doing on the machines to look at someone throwing weights above their head. I belove that isolation exercices can help to supplement the compound exercises.

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

As I'm no newbie to weighttraining, I know how important good technique is.

My main objectives are to get good overall strength, not bulking too much, targeting the whole body and also help to lose some weight.
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

IIRC your squat is pretty good.

Keeping your above-mentioned goals in mind I would keep things generally simple. The squat works huge amount of the musculature. Deadlift will help the posterior chain. Bench press, press and chins/row would do the rest. This is "whole" body. Simple is good and simple works.

"Size" and "bulk" are largely determined by calorie intake. But there will be a limit to how much you will be able to proceed without gaining some weight (by eating enough). As mentioned "bulk" will be minimised by low reps, low volume. 5 reps, 3 sets, 5mins rest between.

Machines, given the above exercises (that I know you can do well), will do nothing further for you and will invite injury. The loading on machines is "unnatural", leg extension for one.

Power cleans, clean and jerks, power snatch, snatch etc are excellent exercises depending on what you want to get out of them - mainly explosive power. If you are sprinter these could be relevant. And there is a relationship, of course, between power and strength. But most will gain the most benefits by just sticking to the basics and lifting more.

Then you have the conditioning aspect. This is where, and I am loathe to bring it up, "Crossfit" style exercises can be relevant (not that Crossfit really invented any of this stuff, nor that random programming is ever a good idea but people seem to know "Crossfit" more than they do Interval Weight Training). Kettlebells and the like can have a good application, especially for other sporting endeavours.

My usual caveat: I am yet to see any conclusive evidence than any of this transfers directly to aerobic cycling performance. That being said being strong has a lot of side benefits, none of which may be relevant to cycling but everything to do with general living.

Same goes for a lot of other activities - do them if you want but don't try an tell me your improved power from doing those Zumba classes or by Pump Class etc etc.