Chris King vs. tune hubs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Superlite

by Superlite

i have seen to many problems with those hubs

I've put 3,000 miles in the last 3 months, not one problem. The problems your talking about are in the older of the current hubs, the proble, has been corrected since 2002 I beleive.

spytech

by spytech

3000 miles = sweet. how are the rims? nyc is pot hole central, and i dont know if they would hold up. about the hubs, i dont know - maybe if they made them a litttle lighter - so tell us about the new hub, will it be lighter???

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

The rims are really stiff, no problems so far. Only complaint is a small brake track, but it doesn't really affect anything, except when the pads get worn you have to file them, otherwise they pads hit the rim side walls, and will tear up the annodizing.

I'm not supposed to say too much, just what I've said in the past. Front hub 56g, Rear around 185g-205g.

They should be out for next season. I think, not sure on this so don't hold me to it, but the new front hub is on the Mag 300 wheelset.

I love my 420's, I think I'm going to get a set of the Carbon 38's or 56's this summer.

spytech

by spytech

oh oh oh, i have one good question - will AC or spada because they use these rims also, use customs holes lets say 28 hole rear?

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

spytech wrote:oh oh oh, i have one good question - will AC or spada because they use these rims also, use customs holes lets say 28 hole rear?

There isn't any point to a 28h rear (for normal road use) if the rim is that deep.
Ride lightly!

spytech

by spytech

Ye Olde Balde One wrote:
spytech wrote:oh oh oh, i have one good question - will AC or spada because they use these rims also, use customs holes lets say 28 hole rear?

There isn't any point to a 28h rear (for normal road use) if the rim is that deep.

their may not be a point, but surely their is one for me. it will allow me to use the stella hub that only comes in 28h configurations :wink: see my point now. and wouldn't a 28h make it stiffer and stronger?

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

spytech wrote:
Ye Olde Balde One wrote:

their may not be a point, but surely their is one for me. it will allow me to use the stella hub that only comes in 28h configurations :wink: see my point now. and wouldn't a 28h make it stiffer and stronger?

Ah, but there is a new hub coming, same flange diameters but also available in 24h :wink:

Having more spokes in such a thin wall may actually weaken the rim, because the greater number of holes will also be closer together.
Ride lightly!

spytech

by spytech

oh Joy :D 24h that would be sweet ;) i just dont know about the thin wall design. will the alex rims on the stilleto be stronger?

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

spytech wrote:oh Joy :D 24h that would be sweet ;) i just dont know about the thin wall design. will the alex rims on the stilleto be stronger?

I think the Stiletto rims are stronger, I have a set of those and they are very stiff wheels.

On the streets of NYC, I think your asking for a crumpled rim section at some point with the CR-420's.
Ride lightly!

spytech

by spytech

Ye Olde Balde One wrote:
spytech wrote:oh Joy :D 24h that would be sweet ;) i just dont know about the thin wall design. will the alex rims on the stilleto be stronger?

I think the Stiletto rims are stronger, I have a set of those and they are very stiff wheels.

On the streets of NYC, I think your asking for a crumpled rim section at some point with the CR-420's.

thank you again Ye Olde Balde One - i think my choice of wheelset will be stilleto. the lights use the same rim but with the stella hub, right? and for $650 i think they are a great buy

and would you say the Alex rims are comparable to strength of the ksyrium sl rims?

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

spytech wrote:
Ye Olde Balde One wrote:

thank you again Ye Olde Balde One - i think my choice of wheelset will be stilleto. the lights use the same rim but with the stella hub, right? and for $650 i think they are a great buy

Uses the new hubs with the CR-350 rim, but I think you could get a set of the new hubs with the regular Stiletto rims and CX-Ray spokes, maybe ask them?
Ride lightly!

spytech

by spytech

i am talking about these rims :arrow: http://www.spadabike.com/alex.htm

1280g for the wheelset, and how would you compare those rims to the ksyrium sl rims - are they as strong? they also use a different rim for the rear. around 415g while the front is around 350g

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

spytech wrote:i am talking about these rims :arrow: http://www.spadabike.com/alex.htm

1280g for the wheelset, and how would you compare those rims to the ksyrium sl rims - are they as strong?

I know you were talking about those rims. You also asked if the Stiletto-Light wheels used those rims, and the answer is no, they use the CR-350 rim.

But I also think you could get a set of the new hubs with the normal Stiletto rims and probably the CX-Ray spokes which the Light version uses instead of double butted spokes.

I would think the rim is as strong, maybe even stronger with the section of the rear rim. It's the same type of aluminum and the same sort of section dimensions.
Ride lightly!

spytech

by spytech

ok, now the big choice, sell my mavic ksyriums to buy the spada stilleto... now i must think :idea: what would you do Ye Olde Balde One? now i need some advice.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

spytech wrote:ok, now the big choice, sell my mavic ksyriums to buy the spada stilleto... now i must think :idea: what would you do Ye Olde Balde One? now i need some advice.

Well, you'd have a rear wheel then that weighs the same as your existing front :twisted:

I prefer the Stiletto wheels personally, but that's my opinion. I do own a set, and it's now over a year since I owned a set of Ksyriums, which I sold pretty quickly, I didn't like them and they were boat anchors. :evil:
Ride lightly!