2013 Madone

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

wilson78

by wilson78

The Lemond is no more, suffering from a cracked down tube in August, Trek offered a 2012 Madone £FOC to replace it, or offered that i could pay a small(ish) premium and take a 2013 frame.
Decided to control my impatience, pay the premium and take the 2013 model. Wanted the 6 series really but a long lead time and £1k difference in the upgrade amount led to a decision to take a 5 series. The decision was made a little easier on account of the colour scheme on the 5 series, flashes of Martini esque blue and red flashes look great IMO.
Spec is pretty much everything from the Lemond, simply transferred accross - its a 56 frame.
So full SRAM Red, Deda Electra bar, Zero 100 stem, Sella SLR kit carbonio saddle, Keo carbon pedals, Gigantex clinchers with Novatech superlight hubs.
Added Bontrager cages and duotrap sensor - so much neater than the Garmin.
Weight isn't as impressive as i was hoping for at a fraction over 7kg, so will be looking at ways to reduce this!
Still dialling in the position - only managed a wet shake down ride so far - need to trim the cables and steerer, but so far impressions are very favourable.

My Titanium Lemond (RIP):
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=84352" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Trek:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=109635

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

I like it. One of the first Treks that I enjoy aesthetically.

Please do tell us more about the qualities of the ride when you have had more saddle time.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

That's actually a very nice scheme. Such a shame about the LeMond though, that was truly lovely.

I'd say those wheels would be a large source of the extra weight.

wilson78

by wilson78

Cheers guys, glad you like it as I really was in two minds about heading the Trek route rather than going Ti again, it took me a long time to finally decide to give it a try. No one can argue against a Madones effectiveness, but they do seem to be a victim of their own success and perhaps as a result lack a little "soul" in the opinion of many.

I agree that the wheels would be an easy place to shave a few hundred grams - they weigh about 1450g, problem is tubs aren't really practical in my locality. Although Enve clinchers could be an option, my wallet is recoiling at the thought of them...

A proper ride report will be added in time ( as well as some better pictures - these don't really do it justice ), but both could be a while off looking at the weather we're currently experiencing in the UK - for now its suffering the ignominy of being strapped to the turbo whilst the winter bike gets the miles in!
My Titanium Lemond (RIP):
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=84352" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Trek:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=109635

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Must admit I don't totally dislike the new Madone (and could even have been tempted myself if the mythical H3 Project One geometry actually existed and could be seen anywhere [even Trek Project One dealers seem to know nothing about it])!

Personally if that's your position I'd use a -6º stem as it'll follow the line of the top tube better - the marginal difference in the stem angle will equate to about a 2mm change in bar height which you could probably offset with a slight shift of the lever position, and visually the bike will be much cleaner for it.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Zero stack headset?
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

BikeTart wrote:Personally if that's your position I'd use a -6º stem

He has Deda bars

civdic

by civdic

Your not going to save much weight with the Enve's. A 3.4 clincher might only save you 50 g. If you stay with a similar profile you'll be above your current weight. They might be a nicer ride and you MAY gain some aero advantage.

I like the way it looks.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Tinea Pedis wrote:
BikeTart wrote:Personally if that's your position I'd use a -6º stem

He has Deda bars

And? They're not the 35mm ones so any stem will work fine.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

he's just implying that matching stem to bars is essentially for many e-props.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Nah - it's all about matching stem and post. You only see the bars properly from the front so there's no need to match those.

dellpan

by dellpan

Very nice bike well kilometers. :D
Trek Emonda SLR

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Sweet ride... but the Lemond was nicer :wink:

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Congrats on the new rig. I dig the white / black. Combined with the debadged wheels, it's a sharp looking bike.

Can't help but think I've seen this color scheme before...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com