The "best" MTB hubs and rims (custom build) are....?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

LouisN

by LouisN

This winter I'm going to build a few MTB wheelsets, as part of a project with some friends "riders"...:)

I'm not into MTB-ing at all, so I'm asking the "experts" here ;) : What are the best MTB hubs out there ? And while we're at it, what about the rims ?

We're looking for best $$$/weight/performance/relative durability combo.

My friends's bikes are:

1) Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert carbon 26" (?)
Rider weight: 180 lbs

2) Devinci (high end model ...?) 29"
Rider weight: 150 lbs

They both race CX events, and want to build race wheels. Budget is around $700-1000 for hubs, spokes nipples and rims..

Louis :)

DavidR1

by DavidR1

There is no one best of anything...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

devinci

by devinci

hey Louis

from what I know, here is what I would suggest, given their budget and requirements:

26in wheels
dt rev or sapim lazer
stans ZTR alpine rims
american classic hubs

29er
dt rev or sapim lazer
stans crest
american classic hubs

it would fall right into their budget and be race specific wheels.

limba

by limba

LouisN wrote:We're looking for best $$$/weight/performance/relative durability combo.

XTR will almost always be the best of everything, never the best at any one thing.

I'd get XTR or possibly DT/KING hubs, DT spokes, Stan's rims and be done with it. That's a proven wheelset. The only thing that I'd say is absolutely better is the same stuff with Enve rims, which is way out of your budget.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

For the hubs, it's hard to beat the Chris Kings. Yeah, they aren't the most "weight weenie-esque " hubs out there, but they are quite durable, and very easy to adjust. To boot, the come standard with a 5 year warranty, and they're made right here in the US of A.
For the rims, the Enves are a great compliment. Same 5 year warranty as the Kings (which is such a rarity in the industry), and the same US made quality. Additionally, the follks at Enve have by far the best customer service that I have seen.

Kastrup

by Kastrup

I have had two sets of 240 mtb hubs ans never managed to break any of the 4 hubs. Like CK they are not the lightest around but they will last forever, and in case they ever need service, it's very easy.

As for rims i have had good luck with the Alpine in 26".
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

limba

by limba

His budget is 1000 dollars for the complete wheelset. One Enve rim is almost $1000. Forget about Enve.

You can get a Easton EC90 wheelset for under $1000. I don't know if they're any good though.

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

Industry Nine with Stans?
"I could have done this job myself in five minutes, but as things turned out I had to spend two days trying to find out why it had taken someone else three weeks to do it wrong."

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

LouisN,

Latest 29er wheel-set: crest rims, cx-ray spokes and Tune King/kong hubs - total cost $780.00 from Starbike and CRC. Confirmed weight is 1422g without rim tape. 26er with alphine would definitely be in low 1300's. Stans and Tune components are way cheaper than Chris King and Enve.
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

limba wrote:His budget is 1000 dollars for the complete wheelset. One Enve rim is almost $1000. Forget about Enve.

You can get a Easton EC90 wheelset for under $1000. I don't know if they're any good though.

Sorry didn't see the budget part. If that is the case, maybe build the Kings up to some Stans Crests or Flows. That would be a much more reasonably priced way to go.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

I'd go a different direction: XTR, cx-rays, on $150 Light-Bicycle.com carbon rims. The rims are 380g each, any finish you want on them, wide, tough, tubeless, much, much stiffer than any aluminum rim anywhere near that weight. I just built a set up as described, rear hub was a 142thru version, it came out to 1535g.

limba

by limba

I'd wait for a few more to people to recommend those rims. I'm not saying they're bad. I have no experience with them. I just read about them for the first time a week ago. Wait and see what others say before you buy them.

freeriderxy

by freeriderxy

..tune Cannnonball/Kong,Sapim Laser,DT XR400 29er,..1533 g..
Attachments
PB210797.JPG
PB210798.JPG
BE a bike raider ,NOT a net surfer!
https://www.strava.com/dashboard

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Good call on the Tunes. They have a nice, crisp engagement which I like. They sure are loud though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

michel2

by michel2

when u say best i think of durability ?
when i think of durability tune leaves the building, had several pairs of them and they all skipped under power every now and than,
im surprised no one has mentioned hope hubs, often for sale at chainreaction ( i swear i have no business with them) but they are a neat strong and durable item, have several on my bike as well as for the missus bike (-: admittedly king hubs are much nicer finished..