Disc brakepads compounds explained

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Velofreak

by Velofreak

I guess this must have been asked before, but I couldn't find it. What's the difference between organic pads and ceramic pads? which one is better? which one makes less noise? what about the kevlar pads, how do they perform? any link explaining differences in disc brakepads compounds would be great.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Ceramic?
3 Main types of pads, Organic, sintered and Kevlar.
Organic pads are a matrix of a paste with imbedded organic fibres, they have good bite form cold and the performance doesn't drop off too steply with temperature, howver wear rate in muddy/sandy cnditions can be horrendous
Sintered are a powdered metal mixture which is heated enough for the lower melting point metals to soften and bind it all together, they don't have quite the bite of Organic and performance can drop off tragically at high temperatures but wear rates are better in adve
Kevlar are similar to orgaic but with Aramid fibres in the mix which reduce wear.

You can also get organic pads with sintered metal elements in the mix.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

Velofreak

by Velofreak

These are supposed to be ceramic, that's why I asked. Are these the same ones as the so called "organic"?

http://discobrakes.com/?s=0&t=0&c=14&p=125&

http://discobrakes.com/?s=0&t=0&c=14&p=126&

I´m currently running sinterized pads with alloy backed support, which are really light, but performance it's not good enough in very long descents. I run them on hygia slp carbon discbrakes, with 79g 160m rotors.

I think the ceramic or the organic pads will improve the braking performance, and I want them just for very dry weather...

Velofreak

by Velofreak

TheRookie wrote:Ceramic?
3 Main types of pads, Organic, sintered and Kevlar.
Organic pads are a matrix of a paste with imbedded organic fibres, they have good bite form cold and the performance doesn't drop off too steply with temperature, howver wear rate in muddy/sandy cnditions can be horrendous
Sintered are a powdered metal mixture which is heated enough for the lower melting point metals to soften and bind it all together, they don't have quite the bite of Organic and performance can drop off tragically at high temperatures but wear rates are better in adve
Kevlar are similar to orgaic but with Aramid fibres in the mix which reduce wear.

You can also get organic pads with sintered metal elements in the mix.

Thanks for the help

TheRookie

by TheRookie

"These soft organic ceramic fiber"

Organic....

Velofreak

by Velofreak

ok, then please, explain me what is the difference between these two, cause one is organic and the other is ceramic. which are the differences?

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k610/a ... ramic.html

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k610/a ... ganic.html

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Different fibres in the matrix, get 10 different organics and you'll like as not get 10 different fibres, most will use different fibres within the same pad, some use sintered flakes, some use aramid (Kevlar) fibres.....

Velofreak

by Velofreak

TheRookie wrote:Different fibres in the matrix, get 10 different organics and you'll like as not get 10 different fibres, most will use different fibres within the same pad, some use sintered flakes, some use aramid (Kevlar) fibres.....

I appreciate your answers and help, but I just want to know the differences in performace and behaviour between "organic" and "ceramic" disc brake pads.

I already know that the composition is different, that is way too obvious. I want to know which ones make less noise, which ones are better for long descents, which ones are better for dry, and which are better for wet, etc... If there is anybody there who knows this please tell me, otherwise i will follow discobrakes advise and get the expensive ceramic pads.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com