SR derailleur in a 10sp drivetrain...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Timo

by Timo

Hello forum!

11sp Super Record rear derailleur, does it work in a 10sp Record drivetrain? And what about the SR front derailleur?

Before you ask, I've seen a topic about this but I cannot find it with the search function.

Timo
And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well Campag claim the centaur 10 rear mech has 11 speed geoemtry so SR mech it may work fine. The cable pull in the 10 and 11 speed shifter is meant to be different so may be that is relefected in the mechs too. If so som,e errors may accu,ilate. One way to find out though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RedRacer

by RedRacer

Timo wrote:
11sp Super Record rear derailleur, does it work in a 10sp Record drivetrain?

I am using this exact combo and it seems to shift very well, no issues, although I have only done 200 miles since the swap.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

You can even change the 11S shifters back to 10S if you like. 8)

The RD will tend to overshift a tiny bit but I'd doubt anyone would notice.
The FD has a narrower cage than its 10S brethren so that may require some more care setting up and it may still cause chain rub where the 10S won't. Or you could use the 11S chain and be done with it.

Of course you know that the 11S crank's only difference is in the rings which are narrower at the mounting shoulders etc., etc....

Bottomline: it works. :lol:

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Timo

by Timo

Thanks guys! I'm still a big fan of the shape of the 10sp shifters, hence my question :thumbup:
And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

tommasini

by tommasini

I used several combinations of 10 speed with 11 speed. Yes on the rear 11 derailleur. I'd suggest running a 10 speed chain if 10 speed cranks (which is sounds like you have) as an 11 speed chain sometimes nearly walks across the inner chainring teeth when down shifting. Not a major problem but it gave about a quarter revolution delay until it snaps onto the small chainring teeth. To no be too long winded why, I'd also suggest matching your front der to your crankset - 10 der with 10 crank and 11 with 11. But as noted above, you can run ok with 11 chain on 10 crank/frt der.

For an 11 rear der with 10 chain I went an extra step and placed some ultra thin spacers on each side of the rear der pulleys so there would not be any issue with the wider chain (when I ran a 10 speed chain for a while).

If you do ever go with an 11 crank you will need an 11 chain.....and that 11 chain will run fine on 10 speed cassettes.

The reason for giving more infor than requested is I started like you, just an 11 rear der....but as time went along it became convenient to use 11 speed hand me downs on that bike.....if thought out it works well.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I'm running this set up but I have tuned it a bit to make it work better
My current set up is:
09 10sp Centaur shifters
09 10sp Centaur cranks 53/39
10 11sp Record RD with 10tooth Rothshek carbon pulleys instead of the 11tooth original pulleys
12 11sp Record FD
10 speed Recon alloy cassette 12-27
10sp KMC X10SL chain

No problems what so ever

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

11 speed rear will work with 10 speed shifters and below.

chazzawoods

by chazzawoods

Timo wrote:Hello forum!

11sp Super Record rear derailleur, does it work in a 10sp Record drivetrain? And what about the SR front derailleur?

Before you ask, I've seen a topic about this but I cannot find it with the search function.

Timo

Might do, if you have the adjustment screws in far enough to stop it from over riding. but typically the amount of cable pulled by the shifters is different from 10sp to 11sp, so might not work. best bet is to use your current 10sp cassette until it wears out and then fit an 11sp super record cassette with the 11sp sr derailleur.
No, I am not trying to sell you something.

Timo

by Timo

chazzawoods wrote:best bet is to use your current 10sp cassette until it wears out and then fit an 11sp super record cassette with the 11sp sr derailleur.

That definitely won't work.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com