Climbs USA

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Dalai

by Dalai

Will follow up the Pike Peak access - but from what I've found out investigating so far is that the September access to bikes appeared successsful and talk is that it will be open for September again in 2013...

If not there is plenty more to ride in CO, especially as I only have a short time in CO if I want to fit in rides elsewhere.
Last edited by Dalai on Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

VNTech

by VNTech

Indeed, Boulder is worth a hit if only because it's rather neat to climb 10k+ vertical in a day and rarely be more than 20 minutes from your house. Makes riding in iffy weather much more manageable, too :)

I actually like the stuff on the front range better than deep in the rockies (Copper, Independence, etc.) You still get the views up on Peak to Peak, but better shoulders and such. Plus, if you're not from altitude, those high climbs are going to be just simply nasty.

Two of my favorites around here:
Lee Hill->SuperJames->Peak to Peak->Ward->Backside of Lee Hill->Sunshine->Super Flagstaff: 78 miles, 11,000 ft vertical. http://app.strava.com/activities/7588096"
Old Stage->Up Left Hand->Backside of Lee Hill->Up and down Deer Trail->Wagonwheel Gap/Linden->Sunshine->Flagstaff: 64 miles, 9,400 feet vertical http://app.strava.com/activities/6740268"
VeloNews Magazine/VeloNews.com tech

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KH1

by KH1

If you are going to ride out of San Fran you must ride Ridgecrest Blvd to Mt Tam. There are many tougher and bigger climbs but that is one of the most spectacular peices of scenery in the area. Across the Golden gate to Sausalito Larkspur Kentfield Fairfax and then inland through Cascade Canyon past the Alpine Lake then a set of really sharp switchbacks up a steep little climb to the start of Ridgecrest which is a tough set of sharp rolling hills but absolutely spectacular with some amazing views out to sea.
Every time I think of that ride it makes me want to go back and do it again.
Don't let the truth get in the way of good story...
2023 Propel Advanced SL (Growing in the Petrie dish)
2022 Trance Advanced Pro 1
2021 Revolt Advanced 1
2020 TCR Advanced SL 0 (Dead)
2019 Fathom 1 29er
2017 TCR Advanced Pro 0

Dalai

by Dalai

Please keep the suggestions coming.

Booking my flights this weekend! Planned flight arrives in San Franciso mid-morning, so will look at putting the bike together and roilling out that afternoon to stretch the legs.

In San Francisco - where is the best area to be based for riding the first few days before I head for the Eastern Sierra? And for LA, same question?

Dalai

by Dalai

Dalai wrote:In San Francisco - where is the best area to be based for riding the first few days before I head for the Eastern Sierra?

Sunnyvale and surrounds an okay area to stay? Looking at basic accommodation in that area?

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

From Sunnyvale, you can do lots of climbs in the Santa Cruz Mountains (between Silicon Valley and the Pacific Ocean), as well as Mt. Hamilton (base of mountain is on eastern edge of San Jose (Alum Rock)) and Sierra Road (of Tour of California fame).

Dalai

by Dalai

So flights booked and first couple of nights in Sunnyvale. Will organise the van shortly.

First afternoon after arriving and building the bike, looking at riding a loop over Old La Honda rd and other climbs in the area. Is it safe to ride to these hills and back from near the 101 in Sunnyvale?

Next day thinking of driving to Alum rock and riding Mt Hamilton, then Sierra rd - including looping anticlockwise over the back? Is it nice enough to link the ride between the two or better to get back in the car and drive to Sierra rd from Alum rock? Then plan on driving across to Mt Diablo to ride from Diablo. Worthwhile riding over the other side and reascending if I still have enough energy?

Last day in San Francisco before heading to the Eastern Sierra – drive across the Golden Gate bridge and ride a loop over Mt Tam. Any particular circuits recommended over others?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Just a suggestion: Leave your car @ SF, ride over the Golden Gate, up to Fairfax, from there do the Alpine Dam loop, 3 Sisters (or are they bitches?) and Mt. Tam, maybe loop around to Stinson Beach & Bolinas if you have time. Really gorgeous. Have lunch at CIBO in Sausalito. Yum.

Some others on this site will be able to provide a more detailed route.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

bikeman71

by bikeman71

A few suggestions for Tahoe/Eastern Sierras

From Markleeville go to Woodsford take a left on 88 to 89 over Luther Pass down into South Lake Tahoe to pioneer trail to kingsbury grade down the other side and loop back to Markleeville by way of emigrant trail. This loop is absolute magic....about 75 miles.

When in Markleeville, I would also go for both sides of monitor pass. The Nevada side is amazing with a view that may leave you wondering if you can literally ride off the face of the earth.

From bishop, I would recommend Westgard Pass all the way to the Bristlecone pines (oldest living things on earth.). Onion valley, rock creek, and lake Mary are all top notch as well.

If you are Going to the east side via Hwy 50, shoot me a PM....you can stay in our guest house in Pollock Pines and I'll take you on few epic rides.

KH1

by KH1

prendrefeu wrote:Just a suggestion: Leave your car @ SF, ride over the Golden Gate, up to Fairfax, from there do the Alpine Dam loop, 3 Sisters (or are they bitches?) and Mt. Tam, maybe loop around to Stinson Beach & Bolinas if you have time. Really gorgeous. Have lunch at CIBO in Sausalito. Yum.

Some others on this site will be able to provide a more detailed route.

Route - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/76567275" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One of the many views along Ridgecrest Blvd
Don't let the truth get in the way of good story...
2023 Propel Advanced SL (Growing in the Petrie dish)
2022 Trance Advanced Pro 1
2021 Revolt Advanced 1
2020 TCR Advanced SL 0 (Dead)
2019 Fathom 1 29er
2017 TCR Advanced Pro 0

Dalai

by Dalai

Thanks for the details guys - the trip is really giving me something to look forward to!

Only planning to drive over the Golden Gate bridge to start the ride prendrefeu, as I'll have the van loaded up and will be continuing east that afternoon...

@bikeman71 Trip is still some time away as my flight only arrives in San Francisco at the end of August! But will definitely be in touch closer to the trip in regards to more ride suggestions and possibly taking up your extremely generous offer for a place to stay if I take hwy 50! :thumbup:

wojchiech

by wojchiech

re: Alum Rock/Mt. Hamilton, I would recommend starting in Livermore, and doing a clockwise loop, going through Mines Rd, up the backside of Mt. Hamilton and down the front, up Sierra Road, then continue onto Calaveras Rd, with a short detour up Welch Creek before heading back up to Livermore. Total distance is about 115 mi and 15,000 ft of climbing. The Tour of California did a similar route for a stage a couple years ago, except they finished at Sierra Road.

It's a little more scenic and varied than just starting at Alum Rock Park and doing an out and back. You go through vineyards in Livermore, rural countryside and mountains near Mt. Hamilton, and then just a touch of city riding near Sierra Road. Welch Creek (in my opinion) is one the best classic Northern California climbs that are quite short but very steep. It is similar to climbs like Mt. Umunhum and Bohlman/On Orbit, which are some of the best Bay Area climbs besides those closer to SF and north of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Brandonnie

by Brandonnie

Mount baldy. Very very nice climb!!! Once in a While you will see a pro mashing the big ring followed by a support car while your there spinning away haha.

roca rule

by roca rule

If you are coming to so Cal and want to do the Mt baldy climb you could stay in the San Gabriel valley area and be able to do
1 Santa Anita roadto chantry flats: ~3 miles at about 8% with some ramps@ 14%
2 Glendora canyon road to Mt baldy ski lifts with an elevation gain of over 5000ft on over 7 miles from what I recall
3 Mt baldy rd to the ski lifts about the same altitude gain as gmr but 2 miles shorter.
4 highway 39( asuza-old San Gabriel canyon rd) on which you can get over 6000 ft if elevation gain.
Number 4 is my favorite as you start at about 1000ft over sea level and can climb up to 7200 ft. It starts with some 7% ramps and rolls up and down for the first 5 miles and then it just becomes something that looks like false flat and you look at your cycling computer and you are going 8 miles per hour. You think that your brain is playing tricks on you but not another look at your cyclocomputer and that false flat its in fact 7-8% stuff, it just look flat because the incline its so even and constant and it well not let out for the next 15 miles. at the end of the day you could get about 10,000 ft of cumulative altitude gain. And since everything that goes up must come down, if you are a light weight like me you could hit about 40mph going down without pedaling on some 2 mile stretches. I have reached 47mph going down, you could go faster if you are bigger than 160 pounds. Finally when you are about 4 miles from your start/finish line you have to deal with those early ramps that felt so good in the beginning.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

roca rule

by roca rule

This ride includes a portion of that climb
http://app.strava.com/rides/25516974#456175229

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com