Polishing bicycle parts

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DaveS

by DaveS

This website sell just about everything you'll ever need for polishing metal.

http://www.caswellplating.com/buffin...und-sc-18.html

What's in anodize remover? Apparently just sodium hydoxide. It can be had in liquid or powder form.

http://www.eastwood.com/images/pdf/1...over_quart.pdf

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KB

by KB

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=105470" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I posted some stuff in July that I sent out to be polished. They made a very nice job of it.

My take on this is if you want a professional job doing send it out. In my case it was cheap and done in my home city. However, when I stripped some anodising, I think I left for about an hour before rubbing it off. Another time I left it on for about 12 hours, but it didn't work well at all. So, it's pretty much 'trial and error'.

Those cranks of Peruffo look fab.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I agree with having things sent out when the service is available (or you simply don't have time).

A local provider will take care of an entire frame - stripping, polishing, coating - for $60 USD.

Considering my hourly rate, as much as I love going OCD on my bike (especially tuning), having a polishing job go to a local service is a no brainer.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

civdic

by civdic

Step 1 – Soak in oven cleaner for 20 minutes
Step 2 – Sand with Wet Dry Paper 180 grit to remove deep scratches
Step 3 – Sand with 800 grit sand paper
Step 4 – Sand with 1000 grit sand paper
Step 5 – Polish with Blue Polish metal polish
Step 6 – Buff it with soft cloth

Took me 2.5 hours from start to finish.
Attachments
stem1.jpg
Stem3.jpg
stem5.jpg

KB

by KB

Great work. Thx for putting the steps as well.

Spindoctor

by Spindoctor

lovely stuff guys - it makes retro bikes look the DB's, but wont look good on my Zero 7 - I can still admire though
Wiliers: Cento Uno; Cento SLR; Imperiale, Zero 7 (all Super Record 11sp naturally)

civdic

by civdic

I have a friend with a Parlee Z5sl. He has a polished extralite stem, polished CK hubs laced with black spokes to stealth Enve 45s. He also polished a masterlight seat post and polished some DA skewers. The bike looks great.

He says the only thing is the polished parts must be waxed to keep the shine. No anodizing means the aluminum tarnishes quickly.

This thread has got me thinking about polishing up a zipp stem, seatpost clamp and DA skewers I have lying around . It might be a good winter project. If I add some polished chainring bolts to my M3 cranks it might give my Time NXR a different look.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

prendrefeu wrote:I agree with having things sent out when the service is available (or you simply don't have time).

Considering my hourly rate, as much as I love going OCD on my bike (especially tuning), having a polishing job go to a local service is a no brainer.

Thought so too, but after having done my first successful polish I just can't stop. Trust my, you are going to love it as well :mrgreen:

civdic

by civdic

I agree. It's addictive. Do it once and experience the results and it's hard to stop.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Check out the Look Ergostem I polished yesterday!

When I got this stem it was unused, but it has lots of damages from storage. After removing the paint I discovered LOOK sandblasted it before paint, so it to for ever to get a smooth surface. After 3 hours of polishing I called it quits, but I think it looks pretty good already :mrgreen: .
Attachments
Look Ergostem
Look Ergostem
Look Ergostem
Look Ergostem