Wooden RENOVO R1 road bike

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

mrfish

by mrfish

Agree - SPR-R pedals are fine. I never had a problem with my 2 pairs - still have them on my Merckx.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

@ xnavalav8r: if we do, I hope you are riding your English Cycles :mrgreen:

stein

by stein

Congratulation on the finishing of your build. Havent really noticed the light coloured wood on the inside of your seatstays before. The new saddle matches it perfectly. Same up front with matching bartape and the new fork. It's a bike for life. :beerchug:
Why does Shimano paint their groupsets the way they do? If i wanted fifty shades of grey - I'd buy the book.

Quinn039

by Quinn039

Awesome thread, the evolution of your bike was a treat to watch. I think you've really come up with a winning combo, the fork you had made looked good, but I think the Whisky and the silver rims really do set it off in the end. Such a clean look. I was unsure how the "older" components would look with the smooth lines of the frame, but it really works out. Great job, your patience and perseverance is commendable.

in regards to the rims, I had a customer build up a set of them with our help this summer on a set of campy sheriff star track hubs for a VERY classy looking fixed gear, did some leather stitching of his own as well. In person I can attest to the beauty of those wheels.

:beerchug:

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Changing the saddle from the Brooks to the Gilles Berthoud meant gaining comfort, but unfortunately loosing the beautiful carvings that were done on the Brooks. Luckily that problem is solved now, because the GB is has also been carved now.

The guy who carved both saddles for me now has a site for it in English: http://www.michielvandenbrink.com/saddles/. Check it out! I am sure you guys are going to love it.

Here are a couple of shots from my carved Gilles Berthoud. I can't wait to put it on the bike :D .

Last edited by Fatbiker on Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

In case you are wondering if low tubular rim with tan tubulars look good on every bike, the answer is yes!

I got a chance to buy a pair of Tune Mig Mag / Ambrosio Montreal tubulars wheels with Vittoria Corsa Evo CX tires glued on (prototypes from Rabobank) that I plan to use in a couple of races I have planned for this spring. This will be my first hands on experience with tubular tires, so I am really looking forward to it.

Here are some pics of the bike in it's new setup. Enjoy!

Ssalmon

by Ssalmon

How is that fork working out? What is the widest tire it can fit?

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

I am constantly attracted to this thread. SWijland, what you have done is absolutely awesome.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

That's pretty cool stuff. Do you have any more info on the wheels and the 'prototype' tubs? Weights, for example?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

@Ssalmon: The fork has been great so far. The handling is more confident compared to the previous Easton EC90 SL. I am currently running Conti GP4000s 25mm clincher tires on H Plus Son Archetype rims (23mm wide). These tires tend to be wider than the 25mm indicated by Conti on normal rims, so on the Archetypes they will definitely be wider than 25mm. Nonetheless clearance on both sides of the tire is still more than 2mm. Plenty of clearance in other words.

@prendrefeu: The wheels are not that special. The hubs are older Tune Mig Mag's, the rims are (very heavy) Ambrosio Montreal's and the spokes are Hoshi. In other words, a great spring classic wheel. All it needs now is a pair of green Vittoria Pave Evo's (which I happen to have lying around :wink: ). The current tubulars have a 320 TPI casing, so they are pretty much the same as the ones you can buy already. I believe the most recent prototypes have a 360 TPI casing. I will try and weigh them in as soon as I remove them for the wheels.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I tried the tubular wheels/tubulars out during 2 competitions this weekend and they were really awesome! Nowhere near as comfy as the Conti's, but they feel sooo fast 8) .

Since the tubular wheels are currently in the bike, I was able to take some pictures of the H Plus Son wheels. Somehow I forgot to do so until now. The sun let me down a bit, but the wheels look pretty cool nonetheless IMHO.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Another approach to wooden bikes. Not sure if I really like it, but it sure is different.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

At the end of this month I will be riding the Maratona dles Dolomites Gran Fondo in Italy and I have decided to go there by wooden bike (from The Netherlands). The journey is approx. 1100 km and I plan to do it in 8 days.

I have pinned down a route on GPSies (amazing programme by the way) and I was wondering if you guys mind taking a look at it and see if you can find some errors in the route? You can find it here: http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=xpuzdkbaexeeslmg.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

SWijland wrote:

I missed this, pretty sure its the first "upskirt" pic weve had on this site?

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

SWijland wrote:I got a chance to buy a pair of Tune Mig Mag / Ambrosio Montreal tubulars wheels with Vittoria Corsa Evo CX tires glued on (prototypes from Rabobank)

Is that glue on your rim? You might want to get it off, unless it has already come off with use.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com