Dura Ace 7900 vs. Ultegra 6700c carbon pedals?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ScottGoBlue

by ScottGoBlue

I wasn't able to find any threads concerning a direct comparison between these pedals? With all the great Black Friday deals online, currently, I considered upgrading to a set of one of these?

Weight-wise, they are spec'd as follows:
Dura-Ace 7900: 248 grams per pair
Ultegra 6700C: 258 grams per pair

Reviews on both are excellent! Is there any reason to spend the extra cash on the Dura-Ace? I'm currently riding Shimano 5700 pedals. Are the Q-factors similar to my current pedals?

Thanks, Scott

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

he Ultegra should have the same Q factor as your 105 pedal's while I believe the Dura Ace are something like ~1mm or so more narrow. My personal experience seems to back this up as I felt the need to move my cleat a bit out on the Dura Ace to get the same knee/leg tracking.

I would say unless you really want the narrowest Q factor possible or have all Dura Ace on your bike otherwise, don't both with that much extra for a few grams.
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

But bearings in Dura Ace are superior and that's important for pair of pedals.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Dura ace have a center needle bearing along with the standard two rows of ball bearings, so technically it's stiffer. No, I've never measured or noticed pedal body flex on my ultegra pedals. I tried measuring the pedal stance difference between the two, it was VERY hard to tell.
Oh, one surprising difference is that, according to Shimano documents, the dura ace carbon pedal is the only one in their lineup in which the top wear plate is NOT replaceable. Odd.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

ScottGoBlue wrote:I wasn't able to find any threads concerning a direct comparison between these pedals? With all the great Black Friday deals online, currently, I considered upgrading to a set of one of these?

Weight-wise, they are spec'd as follows:
Dura-Ace 7900: 248 grams per pair
Ultegra 6700C: 258 grams per pair

Reviews on both are excellent! Is there any reason to spend the extra cash on the Dura-Ace? I'm currently riding Shimano 5700 pedals. Are the Q-factors similar to my current pedals?

Thanks, Scott

Dimensionally, the q-factors are almost identical. I couldn't tell visually when I compared them by eye.

However, the stack height of the Ultegra is higher. ~2mm or so higher. Not much but noticeable if you do a blind test and swap between them.

The seal and bearing quality of the DA ones are far superior. Its just buttery smooth out of the box. The Ultegra is a little draggy out of the box. And as mentioned, the bearing arrangement on the DA is way better for long term use.

RichieE46

by RichieE46

Bumping up an old thread... Any other opinions?

I know the differences based on searching... But is the extra bearing/smoothness of DA worth an extra $100¿

rijndael

by rijndael

I don't know, but you also have the 105 carbon pedals to consider, at just over $100.

tk2306

by tk2306

Go for the ultegras they are great pedals, the dura-ace's for me at least just to not warrant the extra expense. One difference not mentioned here is that the dura ace pedals have a metal protector kind of thing on the sides of the pedal body. Speaking from experience with the ultegra's which have been clipped in corners and banged up in crashes they are stronger than you would imagine a carbon pedal to be and I can't imagine the metal on the dura-ace's would make a massive difference.

RichieE46

by RichieE46

Yea I kinda like the metal protector aesthetically when it's brand new... But I'm sure that won't even matter once I use it

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OwenJames

by OwenJames

The protection on DA pedals does nothing. I shaved a few grams off my DA pedals cornering last month, and the road just planed them off instantly.