AFC Pulley Wheel Review.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I love my gold Rothshek pulleys! They go well with the gold KMC chain - no shifting problems whatsoever.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

They are my next choice, I like the look of them and how they are built too, might drop some coin on them for myself for Christmas :D
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bura

by bura

weeracerweenie wrote:Glad to see some aren't having issues. This was my experience to them and a caution to anyone using their products. I also press tested mine and found no issues when I first brought them, apparently that was misleading. Oh well....

No ,mines are not the same type you have and there is nothing wrong within your review showing problems with a super light component. :thumbup:

I do not use one of their pivot bolts .Maybe it is worth to mention that AFC has alloy and Delrin pivot bolts.
Which type of these bolts have you been using?
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

konky

by konky

I like Extralite stuff and looked on their website for the pulleys. No sign, have they stopped making them?

1415chris

by 1415chris

bura wrote:Which type of these bolts have you been using?

I'm on delrin bolt for 1.5 season.
Aa a curiosity, my oryginal Red bolt was a father of AFC derlin bolts, that's my 2 cents in the development of ww world :)

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

konky wrote:I like Extralite stuff and looked on their website for the pulleys. No sign, have they stopped making them?

http://www.extralite.com/Products/ExtraBolts_anglo.htm

Extra bolt 15..

Tracerboy

by Tracerboy

Hello all :D
Here is my AFC Pulley Wheel review.

I bought two sets about two years ago (both same models than weeracerweenie have in his review)

First set now about 9000km and no problems at all, very silent ride, shifting is as good as possible, no noticeable wear, easy to clean,
no hassle at all in different kind of riding styles.

Second set is just a spare part along my Mallorca holidays if something happens.

After weeracerweenie report i chek out both sets carefully.
I pull out bearings from the pulleys with home made tool. Bearings slip out quite easily from both sets that i can confirm.
I found out some kind of glue wich was used to glue the bearings to the pulley.
I used brake cleaner to clean both pulley and outer bearing race for maximum contact to the Loctice bearing glue.
Then reassembly bearings back and thats it. I am sure that glue wich is now used is harder and more secure than origal glue was.

I am goin to use those pulleys again because i haven´t any problems with them.

I hope this helps someone.

konky

by konky

Thanks sugarkane

Does anyone know what DA Di2 pulley wheels weigh?

Ottoturbo

by Ottoturbo

Get MT Zoom pulleys, 5.6g each, sealed ceramic bearing. I've used them in all conditions all season on my MTB with no issues.

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

My experience with aftermarket pulleys are they are at best unreliable as top pulley, I do make them and have sold a bunch of them, the lower does not experience any problem but the upper can get various problems like shot bearings and slipped off bearings.

My recommendation is original at top and aftermarket in the lower part, you will get a bit of weightsaving and looks, but the shifting performance intact.

In worst case a bearing seize up at lower pulley will only behave abit badly, no throwing in derailleur in the wheel.
Experimental Prototype

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

@bura. I used a Delrin one, as a comparison I tuned the original SRAM red to within a gram of the weight of the Delrin one, so I just use tht now. It could very well have only snapped because of the derailleur being somewhat stuck in the wheel?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Tracerboy wrote: ...
I found out some kind of glue wich was used to glue the bearings to the pulley.

So, quick question (to everyone), because I've been thinking about this lately:

How are the bearings normally held in?
How are they held in on the rothshek wheels?
How about the KCNC wheels? How do they hold the bearings?
How about standard one that came with the derailleur (Shimano/SRAM/Campagnolo) ?

Because I can't tell... they all look like they use some sort of glue.

:noidea:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Because I can't tell... they all look like they use some sort of glue.

Not all of them. Some use press fit, others are molded into the wheels themselves.

Ciao, ;)

P.S. I'm really fond of these:

Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Spindoctor

by Spindoctor

I looked at these before jumping for Token ceramic bearing jockey wheels - have had no problems with them at all and they seem to be lighter and spin for freely than the Campag SR's - so if youre looking for an alternative, maybe Token ?
Wiliers: Cento Uno; Cento SLR; Imperiale, Zero 7 (all Super Record 11sp naturally)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

@fdegrove got some more detas on them.

I recall an email from Selcuk about the issue with his wheels, I'll have a look to se if I can find it. I think majority is glued in, or in SRAMS case they are heat pressed in?