Swapping out Campagnolo Athena II for Shimano Ultegra?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lewis

by Lewis

Thanks for the tips guys.

I think they are working correctly from what you have said above then.

FD changes up in three, and down in one. Trouble is, when I am in the larger ring, I need the ability to be able to apply 'trim' to the FD, as when I get to a hill I change up through the rear block, but I do not need to change down at the front as it will then be too easy (too much cadence), but when I change up through the gears and remain in the big ring at the front I get chain rub, and when I click the thumb lever for the FD it just changes straight down into the smaller cog at the front, and then I need to change up to the large ring on the front again in 2 clicks rather than 3 to get the trim and remove the chain rub. Does that make sense? It's difficult to explain but I find myself having to cock about changing gears too much on hills and losing momentum at a crucial stage (it's very up and down where I live in terms of hills). Whereas with the Ultegra set up I was able to ajust the FD using the trim on the lever to find a suitable gear and avoid chain rub. I will try and get a video of what I mean to explain further.

Also I find the brakes to be less effective than the ultegras too. I have set them up properly (I assure you I know what i'm doing here), and the single pivot rear brake wasn't central when I received the bike and moved from side to side when fettled by hand. It also doesn't have as much grunt as the the twin pivot ultegra version either. I am not convinced with Campag so far I will say! Maybe I just need to tweak these problems then i'll be happy.

Thanks again.
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

The front derailleur is not set correctly. I can run all 11 cogs whilst on the big ring without rub.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lewis

by Lewis

Ok I'll check it tonight again and see if I can sort it out. Thank you.
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

Lewis

by Lewis

Does anyone have any tips on indexing the gears? Should it be done in the smallest cog at the front as per normal technique!? Cheers
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

Schleckond

by Schleckond

Follow the campag instructions from the below site:

http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/docstec/doccatid_8.jsp

Completely uninstall if you think it wasn't done properly in the first place (which is what it sounds like)

Follow Campag's instructions and you can't go wrong :thumbup:

Miller

by Miller

Lewis wrote:Also I find the brakes to be less effective than the ultegras too. I have set them up properly (I assure you I know what i'm doing here), and the single pivot rear brake wasn't central when I received the bike and moved from side to side when fettled by hand. It also doesn't have as much grunt as the the twin pivot ultegra version either.

Campag's view is that the rear brake can be too strong if dual-pivot and lead to wheel lockup so they introduced single-pivot rear which is lighter and allows more rim clearance. However a year or two back they reintroduced a dual-pivot rear option for people who feel more comfortable with that and clearly some do.

FWIW I have Mavic dual-pivot front and rear with Swissstop green pads on my otherwise Campag best bike and I love those brakes. On my wet weather bike I have Campag dual-pivot front and single-pivot rear with Koolstop Salmon and I get on fine with that too. Pad choice does have a bearing.