Aluminium Bike Thread

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

You really don't have to be a jerk, or do you?

I asked because looking at it most of the components can be guessed and looked up for weight, thereby we'll have a relative estimate on the frame weight. Why does that matter to me? Because I've been offered to buy one and I want to do a little research before making an offer. :roll:
If you simply offered a weight, someone could make a good estimate on the frame within a few 100g.

EDIT: it appears Horse's post that I'm referring to has been removed by the Mods.
Last edited by prendrefeu on Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

horse

by horse

prendrefeu wrote:You really don't have to be a jerk, or do you?

No, before we go any further my problem here with you is your conduct on the forum. With myself and a few others. You already referred to me as a troll in the past. So before we go any further I won't answer or deal with any of your questions. Go do your research on your own. Your posts will continued to be ignored.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Horse, uncalled for.
If you have a problem with a particular forum member, then be direct / mature about it and write them offline to work it out.
Acting like a prat in full public view is not necessary.
The question about the weight was a legitimate and benign one, that others might want to know the answer to as well.

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Prendrefeu, my Trek 1500 frame in 50cm weighed around 1400g. Honestly I was expecting it to be lighter, as I've seen claims of weights south of 1200g from other people for their 1500s. There is very thick powdercoat paint on it though so with the removal of that I think it'd be possible to shed ~200g.

de zwarten

by de zwarten

This is my Red Bull Pro SL. I bought it second hand; unfortunately, Red Bull (now Rose) does not sell framesets anymore. I can compare the frame to my Principia Ellipse, both are more or less the same, but the Principia was a little bit heavier (especially the fork that came with). This one is approx. 1400g with a 400g fork full carbon fork.

With handbuilt wheels (Ambrosio nemesis on Campa hubs) it is light and agile, my favourite set-up when going for longer rides in the hills.
With Campa Bullet 80 wheels it is fast along long flat roads, and stiff enough to enjoy sprinting at high speeds.
This is the bike that (unfortunately?) makes me realize I won't need any other 'better' performing (carbon) bike any time soon, even if I do want one (very bad) :D

horse

by horse

Stolichnaya wrote:Horse, uncalled for.
If you have a problem with a particular forum member, then be direct / mature about it and write them offline to work it out.
Acting like a prat in full public view is not necessary.
The question about the weight was a legitimate and benign one, that others might want to know the answer to as well.

Where were you then when there were problems? Absent of-course, and now picking and choosing your fight.
The matter was long dealt with by PM without recourse. The poster is now on the Ignore list. It's obvious who the biggest prat on the forum really is, he is.

CarpetFibre wrote:weighed around 1400g.

That frame doesn't carry a 200g paint. It's not a Cannondale paintjob, but Trek's paint is very high quality and considerably lighter. Trek SL-R frames are 1450g+. But that particular frame is a compact SL-R model which was only run in 2007 for the special US-only market. Yes a compact frame with a traditional, non-sloping top tube. It also featured integrated headset as opposed to semi-integrated.
Fork is Trek Aeros Bontrager Race X Lite, 463g -- very stiff and aero.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Horse, you can take some neutral advice or not, but you are kinda proving my point by continuing the dialogue...
The original retort (Now removed by mods) in this thread to which we are referring and its language remains uncalled for.

Anyway, nice Trek. It seems like a solid and faithful build. I have an illogical dislike of the color yellow, so the tires do disturb, but fortunately tires wear out and require replacement soon enough.

@ de zwarten, the Red Bull looks great too, especially those cranks and the barcalounger saddle.

Cheers!

by Cheers!

too bad no one has posted a Klein yet.

Starfish

by Starfish

Zaskar LE

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

de zwarten wrote:This is my Red Bull Pro SL.

Perfect race bike :thumbup:

SkyeC

by SkyeC

Spooky Skeletor / H Plus Son Archetypes to 240s / 6700 / 7900 / PRO / ZIPP Service Course SL / Toupe Expert

Last edited by SkyeC on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Awesome build, Spooky bikes are awesome (and best in black). :thumbup:

CuccoMasala

by CuccoMasala

Sick, Skye!

How do you like the archetype's compared to your HED's?

SkyeC

by SkyeC

They are very similar... And feel very similar. Hopefully they're more sturdy than HED C2s, I dented mine in pretty short order.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WillT

by WillT

Wow, very nice Skye! That's a solid build - looks like a comfy ride with those Archetypes and Vittorias, too.