Giant TCR Advanced M/L or L sizing advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Roark

by Roark

Hello,

After crashing my 2010 Giant TCR Advanced (size L) I am on the market looking for a new frame. I am considering buying another TCR Advanced (2013 version), but I would appreciate some sizing advice.

I've always felt that my previous frame was a bit "long": I had a 100 mm stem and I had to put the saddle in the most forward position and it looked awful. This time I am considering to purchase an M/L size. However, I used to have three spacers in the L size, and since the M/L head tube is 15 mm shorter it may look a bit silly with even more spacers.

My saddle height is 78 cm, saddle-to-handlebar height diff is 7 cm and the setback in my previous bicycle was 8 cm.

Here are my measurements:

Height: 187 cm (6' 3'')
Inseam: 87.9 cm
Thigh: 63.3 cm
Lower leg: 57.2 cm
Trunk: 67.5 cm
Arm: 81 cm
Forearm: 37.5 cm

This season I am beginning to race in Madrid (80-90 km flat-ish races), but I also want to do some gran fondo cyclosportives (Marmotte, Quebrantahuesos, Ronde van Vlaanderen).

What would you do? Buying again an L size although my gut feeling was that it was a bit long, or would you buy an M/L, risking to having to use too many spacers?

Any help on this would be extremely appreciated.

Regards

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

When you say 3 spacers is that 10mm, 5mm each?

Check what the max amount of spacers Giant specify for safety reasons.

Roark

by Roark

5 8 5 wrote:When you say 3 spacers is that 10mm, 5mm each?

Check what the max amount of spacers Giant specify for safety reasons.

If I remember correctly, it was 2 x 3 mm and 1 x 7 mm, although I have to check this when I get back home (I´m at work atm).

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Quick search on the web. 2012 TCR Advanced comes with 35mm of spacers. It depends whether you like the look or not.

Be aware that Giant use a very slack STA so you will have to push your saddle forward to compensate.
It seems the 2010 has a 72deg STA (L & M/L) while the newer 2013 L & M/L are a little steeper at 72.5deg. TT and HT are the same.
It means you'd have to push your saddle back (6mm) to maintain the same position effectively increasing the TT length.

Roark wrote:I've always felt that my previous frame was a bit "long": I had a 100 mm stem and I had to put the saddle in the most forward position and it looked awful.

BTW the saddle fore / aft position should be in relation to the knee and pedal. Not to increase or decrease reach. That's what different stem lengths are for.
Attachments
Giant TCR Advanced 3 - stem.JPG

Roark

by Roark

5 8 5:

Thanks a lot for your answer. However, I am not sure I fully understood you. What do you mean by "STA"? Seat tube angle?

Cheers.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Yes, sorry should have clarified.
Attachments
TCR Advanced.png

fa63

by fa63

I can't imagine you at 6'3" fitting well on a M/L TCR frame, unless you are very flexible. There would be quite a drop even with a bunch of spacers under the stem.
Last edited by fa63 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

toride

by toride

i would stick with the large and play around with some different stem lenghts and rises.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Lots of experience with Giant sizing here. I have ridden both ML and Large and I am smaller than you. IMO you definitely need a large particularly if you are using a bunch of spacers under the stem on a large already. There are some people your size who ride a ML. Robert Gesink is about your size and rides an ML. But you would be talking about tons of drop which doesn't seem to work for you. May be still worth a test ride on an ML though.

If you feel the bike is long make sure you have short reach bars. That can save you at least one cm or maybe allow you to use a longer stem for better handling.
Last edited by Mr.Gib on Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

RussellS

by RussellS

At 6'3" I cannot understand how you could fit on a M/L frame with a 57cm top tube. I also have a hard time figuring out how you are riding a L with a 58.5cm toptube and only a 10cm stem and the saddle pushed all the way forward. Even though you have a current bike and experience with the Giant sizing, I don't think you are fitted very well to your current bike. I'd recommend paying a professional fitter to fit you to a bike. Doesn't have to be your current bike, just one where you can get the right setback, reach, drop, etc.

Roark

by Roark

Funny thing, I have been fitted three times by "certified" fitters: the first one (BG Fit) was crap, the second one (by one of Spain's most accomplished fitters) was a total disaster (he even refunded me the 180 EUR I paid for the so-called fit), and the third one, by an ex-pro and National Coach (trainer of several UCI Pro Tour pros) was just meh. He said the size was ok, and was surprised that the saddle had to be set in that position...

After these experiences you may understand why I think this bikefitting euphoria of the last years is not much more than a fad... I personally think that a proper "good fit" can only be done by constant monitoring and advising, not just through a 2 or 3-hour session...

Roark

by Roark

I am the guy on the Giant. The fit is not that awful, is it? Could the M/L possibly do the trick?

Machinenoise

by Machinenoise

I'm afraid unless you use a riser stem it isn't going to fit! you need a frame with more headtube!

I have a M/L and am a bit shorter than you, 6'1" but have 77.5cm saddle height.
My stem is -17 with a 10mm spacer and has a saddle to bar drop of 12cm. I believe the advised max spacer limit is 30mm on Giant forks. so you'd have a ~10.5 cm drop on a M/L with max allowed spacers. a riser stem would get you a bit closer, but its all a bit of a bodge.

A frame with a longer head tube is what you require. 19-20 cm at best guess?
so probably looking for a 56-57cm toptube with a 19-20cm headtube, specialized roubaix off the top of my head. 19cm Headtube for a 56.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Looking at the photo you cannot go smaller. That frame is your size. Fit looks fine. Maybe it's just a flexibility issue that cause you to feel the bike is too long.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

savechief

by savechief

Roark wrote:Height: 187 cm (6' 3'')

Are you 6' 3" or are you 187cm?

6'3" is 190.5cm.
187cm is a hair over 6' 1.5".
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com