Athena 11 EPS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

http://www.chickencycles.co.uk/index.php?cat=2&ord=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The RRP is not cheap. Ultegra Di2 is cheaper but I suppose the Campg group comes with brakes, brake cables and outer, chain and crankset where as ulgetra di2 comes without all that. I have just checked the b2b and there is a trade price too and given the trade price there is scope for better pricing as well. Expect the first sets to be in between Septemebr and November [with the distributor that is]. I have not decided yet what price I will be doing it for but I will wait for I-rides trade pricing first as there is some difference between Chickens and I-ride on the groupsets and other campag components.

There does not appear to be chorius EPS. So what up with that iks chorus facing the axe?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

3x more expensive than the mechanical Athena, I'll pass for now
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

Just got pricing for the US and it looks pretty reasonable. The Athena EPS upgrade kit is going to be around $2100 so you can upgrade an existing Campy 11 bike and get out pretty well after selling the mechanical parts on eBay.
Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

It is expensive isn't it. For that money I will also be sticking with cables personally as well. But it is hardly surprising given the price of record and super record EPS.

I am sure it appeals to some though.

apLe

by apLe

You can get Ti SR group for the price of Athena EPS :shock: . Mechanical SR is so great when installed and tuned properly that I simply can't justify the price tag and weight penalty of electronic groupset(s). Plus you can't get the battery installed inside the frame. I don't want to start another hectic discussion, but electronic doesn't work for me.
18' R5 coming soon...

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... hed-34613/ wrote:Although the Super Record, Record and Athena power units are the same, the Record’s level wiring harness is incompatible with Athena’s. A different configuration, polarisation and slightly thicker wires mean that Record and Super Record components can’t be mixed with Athena.
Was this incompatibility just a business decision to prevent people from saving money on come components by using Athena instead of Record or Super Record?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Probably. I would also rather have ST Ti over Athena EPS. I am not wealthy enough to have either though.

poppiholla

by poppiholla

It's looking a bit cheap imho. Carbon brake handles of the record eps should be on it.
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

Spanielsson

by Spanielsson

I can't wait to see what manufacturers like Canyon are going to do with Athena EPS. With the Ultimate Al Di2 model for just under £2K and the Aeroad Ultegra Di2 for less than £2.5K I would imagine similar priced complete bikes with Athena EPS will appear in the next few months.

I think it's more about their product being on complete bike than supplying after market upgrade kits.....

Roel W

by Roel W

poppiholla wrote:It's looking a bit cheap imho. Carbon brake handles of the record eps should be on it.

Or carbon wrapped aluminium like on my 2010 Athena. This gruppo also had the better UltraTorque crancks instead of the PowerTorque.

spartan

by spartan

from bicycling's preview of athena eps

New Wiring Components

The most significant difference is that Athena 11 EPS uses different wiring connectors. This is likely an attempt to prevent bike companies or riders from mixing and matching Athena with Record or Super Record. Campagnolo insists that the new connectors came into play because the company switched to a different supplier. The change, the company says, was made in order improve the quality of the products, and notes that forthcoming iterations of Record and Super Record will likely use the same connectors.

src http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/new ... components" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

why does campy always introduce products 80% developed.

HammerTime2 wrote:
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... hed-34613/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; wrote:Although the Super Record, Record and Athena power units are the same, the Record’s level wiring harness is incompatible with Athena’s. A different configuration, polarisation and slightly thicker wires mean that Record and Super Record components can’t be mixed with Athena.
Was this incompatibility just a business decision to prevent people from saving money on come components by using Athena instead of Record or Super Record?
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Why does microsoft let it's customers find the bugs ...

Has there been a problem with recors and super record EPS connectors?

Tumppi

by Tumppi

Just got today full Athena EPS group. Group will end to my wife Look 566. I will tell the weight soon, but it looks very very nice.
And the connectors are different than record / super record, so no possible to mix the groups.

natiedean24

by natiedean24

Looks good tumppi! Keep us informed on the build progress and your impressions.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com