MTB to Cross conversion

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

etownfwd

by etownfwd

I have a 1996 Schwinn Moab S Cro-Mo frame that I am looking to convert to a cross rig. I read C+ (Cycling Plus) the other month and they had an article about this. Is it as involved as cutting the canti posts and having them reattached? Is there a mechanical way of solving this? Any pitfalls I should look out for? Thanks in advance!

-efwd

JK

by JK

etownfwd wrote:I have a 1996 Schwinn Moab S Cro-Mo frame that I am looking to convert to a cross rig. I read C+ (Cycling Plus) the other month and they had an article about this. Is it as involved as cutting the canti posts and having them reattached? Is there a mechanical way of solving this? Any pitfalls I should look out for? Thanks in advance!

-efwd

Before you start cutting or buying anything;

Does the rear triangle take a cross wheel? I put Cross wheels in my MTB for winter use. My rear 30mm Tufo Tubular Clincher has only 5mm clearance to the bridge between the chainstays. That is not a lot!
    Does your fork take a Cross wheel? Put in a road wheel to check!

I have disc brakes, so I do not have the brake boss position issue. Maybe somebody else can comment on ways to solve that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 711977

Hi

I did see this one, and it surprised me
http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?pa ... &brand=155
only the max. suggested tire with is 25mm so that will be a problem when having a cross tire.
it's a simple sollution for the problem though.

Bas

jer

by jer

paul motoBMX brake is a very simple and elegant looking solution. I have no idea how well they work, though.

http://paulcomp.com/

etownfwd

by etownfwd

Thank you for the suggestions. Gives the clearance issues with the Mavic Adapter, it seems as though the motoBMX is the better solution, albeit more expensive... Do y'all know of any other things of which I need to be made aware regarding converting this old mtb to drop-bars, cyclo-x wheels, etc.? Thanks again!

-efwd

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jer

by jer

If the Moab fit you well as a mountain bike you will probably need a much shorter stem when using drop bars to compensate for the forward reach of the bars and brake hoods. At least I had to when I did something similar.

If you do end up going with the motoBMX brake please post your impressions of how well it works for you.