aluminum frame drilling for internal DI2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rOYk

by rOYk

Hi

I found myself with nice Caad8 frame, optimo and US made. I'm thinking about running internal DI2 cables with seat post battery. Anyone drilled aluminum frame before for this aim? Do you think that the frame get damage? If you had past experience, where is the ideal location for the head tube area drill?

Cheers!

Roy

roselend
Shop Wrench

by roselend

Thinking about doing this myself for next season too. The best way to convert a Cannondale frame would be drilling it like Cannondale does on its new CAAD10 Black Edition DI2

http://road.cc/content/image/61526-cannondale-caad10-black-edition-di2

I assembled the bike in our shop couple of weeks back and from memory the hole was drilled in the non-drive side part of the toptube.
I can post a detailed photo of the wiring and such tomorrow if you want?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

G20

by G20

Before you spark up that drill guys have a wee look here,
http://nyvelocity.com/content/equipment/2012/cx-di2-live-build-mark-purdy
not that the link is likely to dissuade you from getting on with the job, but there's folks that've been there already to learn from eh.
I'm still at least 10 years off electronic gearing.

mlchang

by mlchang

Don't see that Purdy's experience was that bad. I drilled my Bianchi frame out for "old" Di2.
Bigger holes even than you would need for the new e-tube wiring. I choose the downtube between the cable stops and then right in front of the bottom bracket.

Tapped on the frame to find the thickest parts. Used a bunch of tape to protect the paint and drilled.
The aluminum drills easily. I actually used a carbide Dremel bit to the open the holes to the oval shape recommended by Shimano. No cracks so far, not even in the paint. Probably 700 or 800 miles on the frame so far.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

If you're uncomfortable with the drilling, just get the external cable set. It works just as well. I used it on my Colnago EPS.

rOYk

by rOYk

Thank you all for the advices. To be honest, I really don't know what to do, from one hand, the frame cost le less then 200$ and I really wanna use internal cables in conjunction seat tube hidden battery. I do have one Caad 10 black edition frame that I can copy drilling locations.
The only thing I fear from is safety, I'm afraid that the frame collapse under my legs.

gifted child

by gifted child

Drill it, did it with my CAAD 10, no issues, no cracks for about 2,000 plus kms. :D But your gonna void the warranty thou...

rOYk

by rOYk

gifted child wrote:Drill it, did it with my CAAD 10, no issues, no cracks for about 2,000 plus kms. :D But your gonna void the warranty thou...

I dont really care about warranty..i use this frame for city bike this days. I have supersix as main bike. Is it possible for you to upload some pictures of your drilled bike?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com