NEW PROJECT - 2012 CANNONDALE supersix project - help please

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

stuartrav

by stuartrav

Some hills. I still have a long way to go though, I really should enter a race of some description to get a comparison of my cycling to my running think I would be near the back of the field!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

oysters

by oysters

runningrunningjump wrote: Can I tune either the force rear mech, or 7900 front? I think the 7900 FM has ti bolts as standard...

If you find out whether the 7900 FM has Ti bolts let me know. You can test them with a magnet-magnets won't stick to Ti but will to steel. Toronto cycles looks like a good source for Ti and Al bolts from what I can tell. I think Al bolts are slightly lighter, though not as strong, should be fine for the adjustment bolts at least??? Also Al is cheaper. Toronto cycles have a lot of tuning bolts for rear derailleurs too, though I'm not sure about SRAM. I just caught the back end of your thread, I think you have a Shimano derailleur? You could compare the bolts on that to the Force RM before you order.

I'm getting a 2nd 7900 FM off ebay, has a bit of wear by the looks (a year old, they must have either done like 50,000km in a year, or they really didn't have their derailleur adjusted correctly), but that won't bother me as I'm running friction downtube shifters for the front, and mostly stick in the one chain ring anyway.

My first WW post :-)

oysters

by oysters

Also, I can't tell from your pics, but I'm assuming based on the weight that you have a band-on 7900 FM? Could certainly give the band some drillium. I think given the compression limitations of modern carbon frame seat tubes, that standard FM clamps are way over built, with way more metal than they could ever need, enough metal to crush the frame to a pulp if you could tighten the band enough. Most of the torque and strength is required on the clamp closer to the derailleur, on the non-drive side it would be at its least, so more/bigger holes towards that side. If you could post some pictures of the FM I might be able to think of more suggestions on where to drill/mill.

runningrunningjump

by runningrunningjump

Hi oysters welcome to WW.

I'll let you know on the ti bolt DA fm situation.

I've aluminium d most other bolts I've come across already to good effect.

Yeah good point about the band, however I think KCNC do a replacement band so I might check into that.

oysters

by oysters

Here's the shimano exploded diagram...they give the exact sizes for the bolts which is handy:

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 654470.pdf

I'm thinking that (2) stroke adjust plate must be easily tunable. You probably still need it, but that raised vertical bit that divides the two screws seems superfluous, just so you don't accidentally screw the wrong one (duh!). Surely there's half a gram there!

With (4), there seems to be two options with that plate bolt fixing screw for some reason, one with a longer 4mm bolt and washer, and one without the washer but with a 3mm bolt. Presumably the later will be lighter.

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

I have not read all the posts in this thread so forgive me if I've missed it somewhere. My SuperSix 3 came with sweet looking red anodized bar end plugs which to my horror weighed 25g a pair! Sure, they look super sweet, but I swapped them out for the stock LizardSkinz plugs and saved about 20g.

Also, the expander / top cap weighs quite a bit in the stock headset (30g or so just for the top cap if I remember) but swapping out a Token top cap left me with a loose headset, so the stock set up is back.

Any suggestions for a top cap replacement?

runningrunningjump

by runningrunningjump

Good effort. Both with starting your supersix diet and the WW name!

You'll fine lots of other fun ways to drop a bunch of weight of your ride right here!

If you find any good ones I've missed, please let us all know?

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

I've seen some interesting posts lately regarding stem plugs. Extralight Ultrastar looks promising at only 7g, plus a top cap at 8g (take your pick...there are tons) is significantly lighter that the stock FSA plug. Seems like the jury is out...some have had success with it, other not.

http://fairwheelbikes.com/extralite-ult ... -p-29.html

I also saw a post today about the new Cannondale plug (new design) coming in at 14g. I'll be on the lookout for that one.

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

I also have a 54cm 2012 supersix black and white. I'm looking to lighten it up within the next couple months. have you looked into a FD clamp?

I'm doing:

superlogic bars (190)
c260 wet black stem (103g)
WCS carbon UD zero offset and then cut it hoping to come in around 170g
xtralight expander plug
kcnc skewers
kcnc 2mm spacer
kcnc FD clamp
Kcnc RD ultralight pulleys
Aerozine seatpost clamp
Aerozine chainring bolts
Aerozine ti cage bolts
Kcnc RD Ti bolt kit
Praxis compact chainring (also running the fsa slk blk/white crankset)
I have ultegra brakes now but looking into the kcnc C7's
Look carbon ti blade 16nm

I'm really hoping to see 15lbs or under. we will see

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Same here - 56cm SuperSix 3. Your mods list looks a lot like mine!

So far :

Stock bar to 3T Ergonova
Stock stem to SL-K (added weight but looks sweet w/ the SL-K crank). Very anti-WW, I know...
Stock tubes to Bontrager Race X
Stock pulleys to Token
Stock seatpost collar to Token
Mavic QR to Zipp (salvaged from an old ride)
Lizard Skins bar tape
Token AL cage bolts

Still left to do:
Stock post to Easton EC90 0 offset
Schwalbe Durano S to Ultremo ZX
Zipp QR to Token Ti
Fizik Arione to Arione Carbon braid
Ksyrium Equipe to Easton EC90 SLX tubs (if I switch to tubs I will obviously not buy the Ultremos)
New Cannondale stem plug if I can get my hands on one
Tune RD bolts

Things I likely won't change for a while:
Ultegra Brakes, shifters, FD, RD

Also hoping to get it down close to 15 lbs. I'll open a new thread with more details and actual weight savings when the build is done!

Jwhelan939

by Jwhelan939

Hey running, I was just wondering how that force groupo was working out with the DA front derailleur? Any issues with shifting? Chain rub? Thanks

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

as mentioned above, I'm going to be doing a couple things for xmas. Doing the superlogic II carbon bars also (nice to see how they will look on our frame!), c260 stem and superlogic 1 bolt seatpost.

Since my post above I got my carbon cages, praxis chainring, new ultegra cassette and exustar ti pedals.

I'm currently sitting at 15.89lbs. Excited to see what the new ritchey gear will do for my total weight. I'm looking into the possibilities of new carbon wheels. Boyd 38mm clinchers will bring me down to 1380g. My current alloy vitesse 30mm wheels are 1480g so as of now I'm not sure if I want to drop $1050 for 100g.

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Found a (hopefully) great alternative to the stock SuperSix tapered spacer - ControlTech makes a carbon replacement in 25mm / 35mm height weighing in at 8g / 10g vs. 27g for the stock.

On order:

25mm ControlTech tapered spacer, 8g vs. 27g stock - save 19g
FSA polycarbonate spacers X 5 - 5g vs. 14g stock - save 9g
Veloflyte dust cap - 1g vs. 4g stock - save 3g
Hope Head Doctor - 29g vs. 50g stock - save 21g

I may need to add a 5mm spacer as the ControlTech is 5mm shorter, but this will save me about 52g from the headset, more if I find the new Cannondale plug.

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

I am feeling to lazy to go out and measure mine right now. Anyone know the dimensions of the fork steering tube on the 2012 supersix? looking into the extralite ultrastar 2 expander plug/dust cap.

"Compatible Steerer Tube I.D. 23.3-25.2 mm"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com