BB30 crank on BSA frame (only rotor?)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Roeboe

by Roeboe

For my new build i am looking for a crankset but since i don't know what frame i will have (waiting on 2012 models), i would like to buy a bb30 crankset. But then when i would decide to go for a BSA frame, could i only fit a rotor 3D+ with rotor bsa30 bottombracket or are there other options? Is it possible to use the rotor bsa30 bb with other cranks (sram red/force,...) or are there other bsa30 bb manufacutrers for BSA? I did a search on the forum but couldn't find an answer.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

two-one

by two-one

If you can fit the crank in a BSA bottom bracket, then it can never be a true BB30 crank.
The new FSA BB386 will be one of the interim solutions you might be looking for. Thick crank-spindle, but wide enough to allow for external bearings, or spaced-out BB30 bottom brackets

Roeboe

by Roeboe

I just want to make sure i can fit the BB30 crank i am going to buy if i decide it'll be a BSA frame. So i'm only left with rotor and fsa then?

bricky21

by bricky21

Rotor is not a BB30 crank it is a BB30 compatible crank. A real BB30 crank will never fit properly in a BSA frame. However, you can fit nearly every crank on the market in a BB30 frame. Just remember BB30 crank = BB30 frame period no exceptionsunless you wan't to make some serious modifications, but you'll still not get the crank running ideally. BB30 frame = nearly any crank you want.

crohnsy

by crohnsy

Roeboe wrote:I just want to make sure i can fit the BB30 crank i am going to buy if i decide it'll be a BSA frame. So i'm only left with rotor and fsa then?

Zipp Vuma quads use a 30mm spindle and work on a BSA or bb30 frame.

STARNUT

by STARNUT

a true BB30 crank will not fit in a BSA frame without some serious mods.

Starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

grid256

by grid256

If it helps, I've been on Rotor 3d+ cranks in a BSA frame all season and I've tried every trick in the book at least three times but they still creak. That aside, great stiff cranks and 702g using stronglight chainrings and ceramic bb.

o1jasper

by o1jasper

With bracket cups like sold on the link below you can fix this.
Read explanation carefully for compatibilities.

http://www.mantel-bikeparts.nl/rotor-converter-lagerset-bsa-bracket-met-bb30-crank

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dog

by dog

STARNUT wrote:a true BB30 crank will not fit in a BSA frame ...

Starnut

Period.

Rotor/BB386 is not BB30 but still better than BB30. You first decide which frame then crank, not the other way around. :roll: