AICAN superlight cable system

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

photonphyler

by photonphyler

I'll try and respond to a few questions you WW's have.
1)Brk.hoods are BTP carbon aprox.20g saved.
2)Yes it is a Guru Photon/ AX 6000 fork rides great and is plenty stiff trimmed w/ 25 mm spacer 226g.
3) Housing includes all stops,although not all oem if I had something lighter.
4) I'm using mini I links for derl. as they are still lightest and are able to have much greater bend radius.
I hope to have complete bike specs and photos after my latest upgraded ax stem is received and installed.
Current weight 3924 g/8.6 lbs W/ tuned Red shifers,r. derl.
Stay Tuned (pun intended) PP

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

theremery

by theremery

Wowza!!!!.....you got a GURU under 4kg???
:unbelievable:
Top effort!!!
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

sweet jeebus!!!! 8.6lbs!!!???? :shock:

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Put that in the gallery!! :thumbup:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

theremery

by theremery

This post prompted me to go do some research on Guru Photons. Oh man did I have the impression SO wrong. This is a seriously light frame. Nice to see that this is not just a wallet weenie job, you are really thinking about it and selecting premium items but then doing the "every gram counts" thing and some serious thought has obviously gone into this. (not to mention the time!!).
Bravo.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

This is definitely a bit off topic and I normally wouldn't contribute to continuing to keep it off topic, but I feel this is really important to say. Under absolutely no circumstances would I ever, EVER, recommend anyone actually ride an Ax fork.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

:unbelievable:
That kinda response deserves it's own thread... one which I would actually click on and read. Jason, could you write one up please?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

photonphyler

by photonphyler

Theremery, Thank you for your kind words.Yes, it has been a long labor of love --w/ obsessive research thanks to this site and others like it. I've spent many hours sanding, grinding, drilling and milling.The 2010 Photon was one of the pitfalls; its advertised weight was 654 grams, but actually weighed 754g w/ all fittings necessary i.e. derr hangers and bb guide for size 54 top tube & 47.5cm seat tube. After repairing cracked rear drop-out, it was 777grams. Buying this frame was a costly mistake. I tried to return the frame because of clear coat flaws, weight, and deviations from original blueprint re: size. They wouldn't take it back. The local dealer and Guru were extreme jerks. Guru had just emerged from bankruptcy and didn't care about me--they had my $$. Never again!!! but...I digress (rant) Ultimately, I now have super nice ride that's uberlite--worthy of gracing these virtual pages.PP

theremery

by theremery

Ahhhhh....yeh....that is sad news re Guru.
Re AX forks......I think I may know the story behind MadCows statement re AX forks......I won't ride them either (can't say the story, sorry.....not my story to tell.....relates to a former WW members accident tho. A very serious accident :( )

theremery

by theremery

Oh btw.....why not run mini - Ilinks instead of the bungarus if you are using gear cable?....that would be an even lighter solution (and much cheaper)....or will the 1.5mm Cordz not fit in the mini sleeve?

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

the long awaited b-link and campag install...

the most important thing is you have to mix up the ferrules to get this system campag friendly..
5mm ferrule for the brake cable into the shifter body and no ferrule for the shifter cables.the EE brake adjusters need the 5mm ferrules as well and the rest of the bike uses the 5.5mm units for any brake or shifter cable/frame interfaces
pretty simple really.
so whats the result..

Very smooth lever pulls and the shifting is best it's ever been. So fast and precise
The minis had a little bit of drag through the rear section. That made it hesitate a little. Now it's faster and a touch lighter on the lever.

make up the length's the same as the old cables

5.0mm ferrule for the shifter body ( brake cable )

5.5mm for the frame

slide it in.. no ferrule on the shifter cable

292mm of course

nail em down with magic packing tape

dont forget your favourite frame protectors

other wise its like a standard cable system.. pretty easy

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Thanks for the heads up on the ferrules for Campag, I'll take note of it as that's what I'll be putting mine into when I eventually get around to the install :D

wrcompositi

by wrcompositi

sugarkane, what types of ferrules are included in the brake kit and shift kit? According to the description on fairwheel bikes site, the brake kit contains 1.5m of housing and the shift kit contains 1.8m. I need only 2.4~2.5m of housing for both brake and shift, which leaves a lot of excess housing from the kits. So I wonder if I can just buy two packs of brake kit, provided both kits share the same types of ferrules?

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

the cables are different.
housing looks to be the same in both cases.
the brake kit gets 2 5mm ferrules and the rest 5.5mms
the shift kit mostly 5mms
if you were using sram or shimano you'd be using different ferrules into the bodies as campag is ment to run the cables in on there own.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

So did you actually lose any weight in the end over the minis?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com