Carbon fiber disc road forks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Although this site name generally mandates rim brakes, i think we will be having more discussions about road disc brake parts (can't wait for carbon monoblock calipers).

I'm running a front disc / rear rim brake on my winter bike. Problem is that I bought a buddy's cx fork (Winwood), and the axle-to-crown is more like 385mm than the road std. 367. It doesn't create much of a problem, but it's still not a true road fork.

So what are the current choices for a road disc fork in carbon, using a 1 1/8" straight steerer tube?

I'm aware of the great Enve disc fork, but that's tapered only. And I'm averse to Wound-Up, due to their "wind up".
What else is out there?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Not yet aftermarket at least not widely available. I really don;t know wwhat the resistance top disc brakes is. I am goin to have to get a lightweight steel frame/forks made up next year that takes discs.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I'm totally sold on a front disc / rear rim brakeset.

I'm in the process of building a 450g disc front wheel (Edge 1.25, CX-Rays, Extralite Hyperfront hub, carbon rotor), so that's not the issue. This Winwood CX fork is like 650g, as heavy as a rigid 29er fork. The Enve fork is claimed to be only 435g. - too bad they won't make it with a straight steerer.

i'm seeing a few new road bike models with discs, but their forks seem proprietary, and they aren't even available to public yet.

xrs2

by xrs2

Whisky Parts Co. offers several disc brake cross forks, see Universal Cycles. The straight-blade fork is ~460 g.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

There are maybe 2 road specific geometry disc forks available in the OEM market. But they are tapered too so, no luck there.

The non-tapered Whisky ones are also cross specific. 395-400mm axle to crown lengths.

xrs2

by xrs2

Ah, good point. It looks like Whisky is coming out with at least 2 road forks, this year maybe?

I have a feeling the same thing is going to happen with road disc forks as happened with tubeless road tires: we'll only have a few bad choices (apologies to those of you who love your tubeless, but really those tires are bad compared with tubed options).

maxxevv

by maxxevv

No idea what is Whisky going to be doing but there are (at least 1 and maybe 2) road specific carbon disc forks available to the OEM bike builders. Around the 440~450g mark. But they are tapered steerers.

As for the part on tubeless, well, you have to ride them to appreciate them. They are quite alright but not quite there yet. Maybe another generation and you'll get at least a good a performance as top of the line clinchers. I tried a Hutchinson Atom on a Shimano C24 wheels once. They are nice at 90~95psi. But not as supple compared to say a Vittoria Evo CX. I'm sure once Michelin or Vittoria releases their versions, the quality will improve dramatically too. There's a Japanese tubeless which I heard is good ... never tried though.

But if you put all the things that are going on right now together, you do get a pretty compelling picture of how things will roll in the future.

350g carbon tubeless rims (since the high over 120psi requirements and overheat issues are moot now ) that are disc specific. Thus completely eliminating rim overheat and wear issues.

With the advent coming of carbon ceramic rotors, we may get sub 900g wheels as a norm and a caliper/disc set at ~250-300g. It probably won't take too long, maybe another 2~3 years.

Its exciting times ahead. :beerchug:

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Thanks for the heads-up on Whiskey, but I'm talking a true road fork of axle-to-crown at or below 370.

So it's still wait & see then?

HillRPete

by HillRPete

You could have a road fork retrofit with disc caliper mounts by one of the carbon wizards in this forum.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

SJS Cycles in the UK do one, but it isn't light.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/evolution-a6 ... prod29360/

Also, their shipping costs are a tad high.

This is the closest ROAD disc fork (apart from the ENVE) that I have seen.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

That SJS fork weighs similar to other forks in that price bracket. Probably the best option out there as you can actually buy it. Shame it has no mudguard mounts. As I want to use discs on a winter bike.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

bm0p700f, I'm using the Kinesis DC37 on my winter bike, and while being a CX fork, it works well with full-size fenders.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I like how that SJS fork says "cutting edge" when it's listed at 652g.
Otherwise the geometry looks good.

As for fenders, my current Winwood has a rim brake hole, so I attach the fender at the back of the crown with an aluminum brake nut & aluminum allen bolt from the front.
I suppose the disc-only road forks may not come with a crown hole, but they should!

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

I'm searching for a road disc fork with 1 1/8 - 1 1/4. Any idea where should I search for it?

Enve has only 1 1/2, the same for 3T, but I don't want a ciclocross fork, but a road specific one.

On Eurobike I saw a few forks that were for disc brakes and road only. I'm searching for a fork like that but without success. It would be great if it would look similar to Enve road disc fork (straight fork, nice design), but in 1 1/8 - 1 1/4.

Any help would be much appreciated!

maxxevv

by maxxevv

That's not possible (or the very least I have not heard of one). Even the chinese/ taiwanese OEM fabricators have them only in 1 1/8 - 1 1/2 .

You could try searching the online for Taiwanese fork makers if they have such a thing. If they don't, then you won't find one as the Chinese won't go into uncharted waters.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com