New SRAM 1x11

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

limba

by limba

There's a guy/pro on mtbr that has it on his Trek. I'll find him over there and see if he's done a review yet.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I've contemplated it for a 29er, but I'm not a pro. maybe an "old-fashioned" 2x10 is all I really need. But I like the concept of it. And since I am living in a mostly flat area now I can probably manage with only 11 gears. Though Rohloff seems like a good option for me too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I'm really liking the concept, but what I'd like even better was a standard hub with a custom freehub body, and 10 speed 10-38 gears. (KCNC has a 11-38). That would probably be good enough for all my (non-race) offroad riding, and use mostly stock parts.

tompho

by tompho

I am waiting it, but first in october, then in november, and finally......

JeffS

by JeffS

SRAM could have accomplished the same thing without changing the freehub.

Does anyone REALLY want a 10t gear on their bike?

It's amazing to me that people who have never once considered a 1x10 are all the sudden planning new drivetrain purchases just to have the newest thing.

devinci

by devinci

JeffS wrote:SRAM could have accomplished the same thing without changing the freehub.

Does anyone REALLY want a 10t gear on their bike?

It's amazing to me that people who have never once considered a 1x10 are all the sudden planning new drivetrain purchases just to have the newest thing.

I thought it was a lame first post for you JeffS

but after rereading it, I kind of agree with what you're saying

limba

by limba

I never considered 1xwhatever because I couldn't get the range I'm used to with triples or double chainrings. It only makes sense to me now because I'm only giving up a little high end or a little low end of my range.
I'll wait for Shimano's version but I think it's a pretty cool idea.

and the driver isn't a big deal. Basically every worthwhile hub except for Shimano and King are compatible.

jooo

by jooo

I really don't see why people are making such a big deal about the driver. Basically most decent hubs are or will be compatible with the new standard and no change is required to OLD/spacing and dish. All you do is change the body and you're good to go.

Surely CKing and others will follow soon because I imagine the groupset will have no problems being successful. There will almost certainly be entry level versions in the future too so I don't think SRAM 1x11 is going away.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

We did it before: 8)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91953

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I was able to test ride XX1 yesterday. WOW!

I really liked it. I think, for pro/elite racing, this is the way to go. No front derailleur and a full range of gearing was simply incredible. But for the amateur or enthusiast, I think 2x10 is still the better option... or 3x10 in really mountainous places. (Not to mention price.)

I expect to see the 1x11 option coming at a lower pricepoint in the near future though.

grover

by grover

I've been on it for a couple of weeks. No dropped chains off the front ring and I haven't wanted another gear. As expected rear shifting has been faultless and I can almost ride without a chainstay protector with the short chain and high cage tension.

Using a 32 ring on a 29er hardtail I've had plenty of low end and just enough top end. Once race season starts I'll be going to a 34 or 36 as I won't need so much low end and the top end will be important.

I'll still be using 2x10 for marathon racing with long steep climbs and alot of open descending where I'll want a bit more at both ends of the range.

cerro

by cerro

I really want to try my groupset and mount it all. But missing rear hub and have to wait until february for it. Think it will be perfect as I rode 1x10 for a while.

limba

by limba

It'll work with the 10 speed cassette. Guys have tried it on the other site I go to. They say it works, you just won't have the huge 42 cog.

tskubi

by tskubi

cerro wrote:I really want to try my groupset and mount it all. But missing rear hub and have to wait until february for it. Think it will be perfect as I rode 1x10 for a while.

I will have to do the same, run a 10v on my XX1 der, hope it doesn't screw anything...
it's a shame wheels brand take such time to developp such a tiny missing piece :(
Enjoy your time under the sun.. and when its cold and dark don't worry too much, the world will keep spinning and your time in the sun will come again.

skyfire1202

by skyfire1202

Was looking for a manual of a tool I bought and found this:

http://www.leowheels.it/shop/2214-spide ... tura-capo/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com