Kinlin XR-300 mass: interesting data point

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

Like lots of people here, I've been using the Kinlin XR-300 as a go-to clincher rim. The last one I built up, in 2009, weighed in at 468 grams. I've seen various specs that list the weight as 465 grams, so this one was exactly what I expected.

I just purchased a new XR-300, plopped it on the same scale and got a weight of 450 grams. This is interesting because successive rims of a given make and model typically get sequentially heavier; the extrusion die wears and wall thicknesses increase incrementally with each rim's worth of extrusion.

The most logical conclusion to be reached is that Kinlin is being fairly aggressive about replacing its extrusion dies (which is good news for weight weenies). For what it's worth, both my 2009 rim and my 2012 rim are black (powdercoated) with a machined brake track. The 2009 rim has 24 holes and the 2012 rim has 20.

This brings me to another oddity about these rims: every single one I've ever encountered has a slightly sharper radius on one side of the spoke bed than the other. I'm referring to the external radius nearest the spoke nipples...essentially, the bottom of the V in a V-section rim. This isn't something I can see, but it's easy to feel when you run your hand around the outside of the rim (its minor diameter, if you will).

None of this is earth-shaking, but I thought some people here might be interested.

Cheers,

Jason

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Kinlin is much better than some manufacturers at keeping weights in a pretty narrow range.
formerly rruff...

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

WMW wrote:Kinlin is much better than some manufacturers at keeping weights in a pretty narrow range.

Truth to that. I weighed an A23 the other day that came in almost 50 grams over quoted weight. :roll:

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

Thanks for the confirmation. Both of you guys see way more rims from more manufacturers than I ever will. Have you ever noticed the weird asymmetry I mentioned in the XR-300? Any ideas about how it got there?

Cheers,

Jason

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

No I haven't noticed any asymmetry... but I don't use the XR300 much anymore... prefer the XR270 and the XC279.
formerly rruff...

kavitator

by kavitator

as i get XR300 are very close in weight - 460g.
XR200 vary a lot (365-395g)
Black colour rims (white are heavier)

I get one Xr300 with 0,7mm vary in width (18,5-9,2mm)- cant use that rim

lechat

by lechat

Powdercoated? Shouldn't the black one's be anodized?

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

I wish they were anodized...If my name were Jason Kinlin, I'd bead blast the rims and then anodize them black. But I'm not.

I've never seen a "stock" XR-300 that was anodized. I've seen a few that were anodized locally, but they didn't come from the factory that way.

Cheers,

Jason

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com