vittoira pave alternative.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JKolmo

by JKolmo

No to that, they're pain free in that respect. FMB=sealed sidewalls, Dugast=non sealed sidewalls.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

racingcondor

by racingcondor

The only concern I would have is that the tread on the Pave isn't all that thick and in my experience they get cut up pretty quickly riding South of London thanks to all the flint that gets washed into the road (do feel good though). I'll be sticking with complaining about the feel of my GP4000S.

That said I haven't ridden them for long enough to say whether they are like the Pro3 (lots of surface cuts but it doesn't matter) or more like the Evo CXII (one unlucky ride and the tyre is ruined). I suspect you'll be fine with them but I would bet that Conti's last longer.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

JKolmo wrote:No to that, they're pain free in that respect. FMB=sealed sidewalls, Dugast=non sealed sidewalls.

Don't know about FMB but I'm having a hard time imagining they'd put out tyres without even the elementary coat of latex on thge sidewall of their road tyres.

Does Dugast not use Aquasure to coat and seal theirs?

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

TuplaO

by TuplaO

wrong thread, sorry

1415chris

by 1415chris

racingcondor wrote:The only concern I would have is that the tread on the Pave isn't all that thick and in my experience they get cut up pretty quickly riding South of London thanks to all the flint that gets washed into the road
That is exactly my concern holding up my decision to buy these tires.
Daily I ride corsas from Vittoria and Veloflex, which are great tires but they tend to get cuts quite easily especially when the grids is on the roads.
Cos my recently built wheels are ready to go tubeless, I thought that maybe this is a option to go for.
But I really wouldn't like to loose the quality of the ride of the tires mentioned above. At least make sure the quality will be the highest possible, with the high puncture and cut resistance as a priority.
By any chance, anybody has a chance to try Pave and, for instance, Hutchinson Fusion?

sawyer

by sawyer

I say the Paves will be fine and yes, the cognoscenti give high marks for Paves.

If you still can't bear it then the Ultremo ZX in 25mm is a nice large volume, fast riding, grippy tyre.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

commfire

by commfire

I don't understand why veloflex does not come out with a 25mm width clincher? Is the engineering that difficult?

SpinnerTim

by SpinnerTim

Smash the icons and forget the bike snobs: Conti GP4000s. Get them in 25mm, drop in latex tubes, run them at the lowest pressure you can get away with. Ride and enjoy.

The extra casing volume and latex tubes will offer a very pleasant ride and excellent pinch flat resistance. Run them on wide rims if you can- to compound the advantage. This setup will give you *very good* ride quality, excellent puncture resistance in dry and wet conditions, excellent grip in dry and wet, and you might even be able to ride the entire winter on one pair. Is it going to ride like a Lay-Z-Boy on a monorail? Nope, but it's the right call if you want something that *just works.*

The 4000S clincher has never let me down. I've used all of the high-end Italian tubular goods for quality riding time, racing, and sunny days. But I also know that working full-time means riding and training time is hard-earned and not to be wasted on avoidable repairs.

This is a winter condition clincher, right? Do you really want to be fiddling with a puncture, gloves off, -10 degrees C, in fading light during a post-work ride?

Fit 4000S 25mm, invest in supple tubes, and use the money you save to buy your favorite boutique tubs for better weather to come (how 'bout FMB Paris Roubaix Pros?)

-Tim

LionelB

by LionelB

SpinnerTim wrote:
Fit 4000S 25mm, invest in supple tubes, and use the money you save to buy your favorite boutique tubs for better weather to come (how 'bout FMB Paris Roubaix Pros?)

-Tim

FMB PR Pro is actually a winter tire :shock:

sawyer

by sawyer

@tim - good advice, though are latex tubes worth it with contis?

25mm 4000Ss at 100psi on steel spoked wheels, should mean you can float along happily.

BTW, the Ultremo tub is a very different beast to the clincher... and has a latex tube installed. kind of like a Cont Competition with a latex tube. Doesn't ride like a high tpi italian though, but has a dead man's grip alright :shock:
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

hjb1000

by hjb1000

Is it true Vittoria are coming out with the Open Pave in a 27c size? And has anyone managed to get them yet? Thanks.

SpinnerTim

by SpinnerTim

sawyer wrote:@tim - good advice, though are latex tubes worth it with contis?

25mm 4000Ss at 100psi on steel spoked wheels, should mean you can float along happily.

I'd go for the latex tube if running comfortably lower PSI poses any threat of pinch flatting given an individual rider's weight. If lower pressures readily accommodate the rider without threat of pinching, then butyl is a good choice.

In many cases, there won't be a great deal of difference in casing volume between 23 and 25mm clinchers if the rim is of the (still ubiquitous) narrow internal width variety. For tire volume's sake, rim width is a bigger deal with clinchers than tubulars. Running 23 or 25mm on a Kinlin XR270 might not a yield a great difference in volume; using an XR279 or A23 would accentuate the advantage of the 25.

At my weight, (57kg-ish), I can run run well under 100 psi (rear) on butyl, on XR270s without pinching a tube, but a heavier rider might want to run a similar pressure, so that would be a good application for latex- just as insurance. Otherwise, the convenience and cost of butyl makes a great deal of sense.

-Tim