lightweight frame for £80

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mrtennis

by Mrtennis

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and i have a question which I am sure has been asked 1000's of times - sorry!

I am looking at getting a new (second hand frame). I ride mostly on and off road but not necessarily down hill or jumps etc etc. So I am looking for something lightweight that would suite. The frame really needs to have v-brake bosses as I don't want to shell out on discs and I'm not bothered about discs anyway. I have upto around £80 to spend but obviously if anyone can recommend anything for cheaper I would be interested.

The other part of my question, on this forum, obviously is what sort of weight of frame can I be expecting for that sort of money?

There is a possibility I can get a Kona Chute 1999 frame, which I think is listed as a jump frame but I've read plenty of reviews saying it's a good all rounder. On the listings on this site however it is listed as 2.3kgs. So is that a good weight or not? It is one of the heavier frames listed but have you guys only got 'light' frames listed on here anyway (in other words it's the heavier of the light frames)?

I currently have a muddyfox alulazer, which I have upgraded almost all parts apart from wheels on to xt components etc.

Anyways, help and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

(just to add I don't actually know how much my current frame weighs - it may be the same as a Chute, I really don't have a clue, so it may not be worth upgrading. Really just getting into all this stuff so don't know much!)

SINCE POSTING THIS ORIGINAL MESSAGE I'VE DONE SOME RESEARCH MYSELF AND POSTED THE RESULTS IN THE FOLLOWING POSTS, SO I'VE DECIDED TO COPY AND PASTE ALL THAT INTO HERE IN CASE SOME OF YOU READ IT FIRST

OK last update before I go to bed and hopefully I will wake up to some replies in the morning :) .
Turns out Dirty Jo no longer exists but there is a company saying they are selling exactly the same frame currently as an unbranded frame.
The company is called triplebuttedcycling. They have their own website as well as an ebay outlet. It seems the frame they are selling which they claim to be the Dirty Jo Full Cream weighs 1.56kgs and is selling for £125. Does that sound like a good deal? It also has the v-brake bosses which I want and is disc compatible if I wanted to ugrade. Triplebuttedcycling claim that the frame is also the same one as the Brand-X one that chain reaction cycles are selling - but it seems like this one is no longer for sale so I can't really compare.
So I suppose the last question is, as I have only just looked into all this, do any of you know from experience if these frames come up second on hand on ebay much? Or am I going to have to fork out £125 for a new one? Or should I look for something different all together?
Looking forward to pages of replies in the morning :) .....Going to copy and paste my previous suggestions below for those of you that couldn't be bothered to read what else I've written :lol:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK I have found a couple of frames after a bit of research that may be suitable but I don't know much about them at all so wondered if anyone has any experience with them.
First option is a on-one scandal frame although I'm not sure this comes with v-brake bosses.
The second option is a Dirty Jo, I think the full creme is the lightest one but apparently there is also a semi creme but I think that is a bit heavier.
I have heard of on-one but don't know much about them, not like the Kona's I menntioned originally. I hadn't ever heard of the Dirty Jo frames before but came across them when searching for the On-one frames.
As far as Kona frames go I think the only really lightweight one I could find by them is a Kula, is that right?
Anyway, any advice would be appreciated
OK editing and adding yet another option to the list. An azonic az7. This one seems a bit more expensive but I would be hoping to get it second hand so could possibly find a good deal. Not sure it has v-brake bosses though so any info is appreciated. I have found the azonic ds-1 frame which has v-brake bosses but can't find the weight on it.
Last edited by Mrtennis on Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRookie

by TheRookie

A reasonable ally medium sized frame will be around 1.75Kg (My 2006 Carrera and also a 2006 Rockhopper for example), anything over 2Kg for a medium is heavy.

A decent ally frame will be down at around 1400g, anodised is lighter than painetd (which adds circa 200-250g to a medium frame).
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

Mrtennis

by Mrtennis

TheRookie wrote:A reasonable ally medium sized frame will be around 1.75Kg (My 2006 Carrera and also a 2006 Rockhopper for example), anything over 2Kg for a medium is heavy.

A decent ally frame will be down at around 1400g, anodised is lighter than painetd (which adds circa 200-250g to a medium frame).

But how much does something around 1.75kg cost? I'm guessing something around 1.4kg is much more than the £80-£100 I am wanting to pay?

TheRookie

by TheRookie

I wouldn't buy new for £80, I'd buy used.

Example of what you can get, this took 20seconds of looking
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HANDSOMEDOG-X ... 4d04038df1

You'll have to check, from memory this is about 1.85Kg
http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/f ... frame.html

Mrtennis

by Mrtennis

TheRookie wrote:I wouldn't buy new for £80, I'd buy used.

Example of what you can get, this took 20seconds of looking
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HANDSOMEDOG-X ... 4d04038df1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You'll have to check, from memory this is about 1.85Kg
http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/f ... frame.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the help. Sorry if I didn't make it clear in my original post, yes I am looking to buy second hand, I just meant a new frame for myself

Mrtennis

by Mrtennis

OK I have found a couple of frames after a bit of research that may be suitable but I don't know much about them at all so wondered if anyone has any experience with them.
First option is a on-one scandal frame although I'm not sure this comes with v-brake bosses.
The second option is a Dirty Jo, I think the full creme is the lightest one but apparently there is also a semi creme but I think that is a bit heavier.
I have heard of on-one but don't know much about them, not like the Kona's I menntioned originally. I hadn't ever heard of the Dirty Jo frames before but came across them when searching for the On-one frames.
As far as Kona frames go I think the only really lightweight one I could find by them is a Kula, is that right?
OK editing and adding yet another option to the list. An azonic az7. This one seems a bit more expensive but I would be hoping to get it second hand so could possibly find a good deal. Not sure it has v-brake bosses though so any info is appreciated. I have found the azonic ds-1 frame which has v-brake bosses but can't find the weight on it.

Mrtennis

by Mrtennis

OK last update before I go to bed and hopefully I will wake up to some replies in the morning :) .
Turns out Dirty Jo no longer exists but there is a company saying they are selling exactly the same frame currently as an unbranded frame.
The company is called triplebuttedcycling. They have their own website as well as an ebay outlet. It seems the frame they are selling which they claim to be the Dirty Jo Full Cream weighs 1.56kgs and is selling for £125. Does that sound like a good deal? It also has the v-brake bosses which I want and is disc compatible if I wanted to ugrade. Triplebuttedcycling claim that the frame is also the same one as the Brand-X one that chain reaction cycles are selling - but it seems like this one is no longer for sale so I can't really compare.
So I suppose the last question is, as I have only just looked into all this, do any of you know from experience if these frames come up second on hand on ebay much? Or am I going to have to fork out £125 for a new one? Or should I look for something different all together?
Looking forward to pages of replies in the morning :) .....Going to copy and paste my previous suggestions below for those of you that couldn't be bothered to read what else I've written :lol:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TheRookie

by TheRookie

The DJ frames and others are a generic frame sold under a variety of brand names, there is a range of them, being generic is not bad, they are a good light frame.

Triplebutted are a good co, I've bought a few of things of them, and the DJ frames are nice, my daughter has the full creme in XS and it's 1400 and something grams.

chucklight

by chucklight

I know you wanted V-brake bosses but this is definitely a good deal, plus he's open to offers.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boardman-Pro- ... 35c19623e1
Bike: 2012 Boardman HT Pro MTB - 21.838lbs / 9.906kg (for now...)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRookie

by TheRookie

I may know of a Zaskar frame going for about £50-60, will know exact details on Tuesday, PM me if your interested.