Weightweenies Please help me! :)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Renxianggg

by Renxianggg

Hi, I'm Lee. New to the forum here and also just go my new bike soon. However my current bike is a on the rather heavier side and would like to reduce some weight. Anyone free to give advise on which parts should go and what should i change to?
P.S I have no idea how much the frame weighs.

Frame : Focus Road Sport Alloy double butted
Fork : Focus Carbon
Wheelset : Fulcrum racing 7 (2012)
Shifter : Ultegra 6700 grey
Brakes : Concept CX R540
Brake lever : Ultegra grey
Dropbar : FSA vero
Stem : FSA OS 190
Seatpost : FSA SL-280
Saddle : Concept EX
Crankset : FSA Gossamer
Pedal : Shimano R540
Attachments
focus.jpg

LouisN

by LouisN

:welcome: Lee. Cool pic :thumbup: .

What's the budget ?

My friend had a Fulcrum 5 wheelset, I built him a light wheelset and he saved 1,1kg right there.
Many places to save weight. Depends on what kind of money you want to invest...

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Renxianggg

by Renxianggg

Hey, thanks for reply. I'm looking forward to racing too. My LBS told me fulcrum 7 was good enough considering I'm a student.
I've also decided to change to http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fizik-arione-cx ... -bar-tape/ saddle. 205G. And also a ultegra crankset.

Thus, I'm looking forward to changing mostly things like stem, dropbar, seatpost etc..

istigatrice

by istigatrice

:welcome:

My 2c: I don't see to much weight being saved by an ultegra crankset and saddle. I would ride the bike alot first before changing things like bars, saddle, chainset and stem because they are "fit" items and you want to have an idea of what you like before you invest in it. I would invest in wheels/tubes/tyres for now as you'll be able to drop loads there
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

austke

by austke

:| :welcome: to WW.
I'd reccomend looking through the weight listings and comparing your budget with the various weights.
As previously mentioned, lots of weight can be saved with custom wheels.
Tyres, tubes, skewers and chains are some other good/affordable weight loss options.

Also look at some of the many threads in the Introduce yourself section. Many great bikes with very detailed buildlists and corresponding weights.

Hope this helps
Austke

Lol, Very creativeusername beat me. Im not the fastest typer.
2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0, 6.92kg
2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 M, 8.5kg - Wife's
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg
Miele Lupa Triple Tandem 38,89kg

Renxianggg

by Renxianggg

The reason I'm getting an ultegra crankset first is due to that my current crank is compact crank, however I would like performance on a flat road. I'm also changing the saddle first because the current one doesn't fit me.

Seems like your reasoning is right.. maybe I should invest in a good wheelset.
What are some of your recommendations w/o breaking the bank?
P.S race worthy wheelset please.

mattyb95

by mattyb95

What can you realistically afford for the wheelset, as less than £500 might not be seen as breaking the bank to some who don't blink at spending upwards of £2,000 for a pair of Zipps or Lightweights but may be a lot more than you want to spend, especially when combining with new cranks/BB and saddle too.

That said, Mavic Kysrium seem to be popular for under £500 and will probably be a fair bit lighter than your Fulcrum 7s. I have a pair of SRAM S30 Sprints that cost me about £350 and retail for over £600 and I really like them, light enough and similar in shape to Zipp 101s. Could always step up to Fulcrum 3s or I think they now do a Quattro or something that is a slightly deeper section than their older wheels and costs about £250, not sure how they fair though. Am sure others can advise on handbuilt or some of the Chinese offerings from eBay, I know nothing of those I'm afraid.

MagnusH

by MagnusH

The shimano c24 clinchers offers decent weight and performance at reasonable price. They come in a variety of editions. The 7900 Dura Ace edition can be bought for 700 eur, with a listed weight of 1395 grams. The RS80 edition can be had for less than 400 eur, with a listed weight of 1514 grams.

I had the 7800 Dura Ace edition and was happy with them. IIRC they weighed in at 50 grams more than claimed weight.

LouisN

by LouisN

For wheels, go with Kinlin tubular rims (TB25) for racing and Novatec lite hubs. You'll be paying around $275-300 for the wheelset at around 1350g with light spokes. Excellent racing wheels IMHO. Put some decent tubs and Ti skewers on them, and you saved 1kg right there. Your current wheels ar fine, keep them for training, commuting, off season, etc...
The Shimano RS80 is a good reputed wheelset too.

Get an 11-23 cassette first (6700 or maybe get a hand on an old 7800 that would save around 50g+). If you can use the 50-11 combo often on the flat at 100 RPM, then congratulations, you can search for a bigger ring on your crankset !!!

And +3 for stem, bars and post. Look for used aluminium in classifieds, Ebay, etc... Ritchey WCS series would be my pick. Light, cheap, and stiff !!!

Louis :)

istigatrice

by istigatrice

LouisN wrote:For wheels, go with Kinlin tubular rims (TB25)

Tubular rims are not for everyone, I agree with Louis that they would be great race wheels, however Tubular tyres need to be glued on, and if you don't know what you are doing the tyre can roll off. Some don't think its more hassle than a clincher, but if you puncher you need to throw the tyres away. With clinchers, you can patch the tube. Clinchers are generally heavier, but its much cheaper to run. If you don't want to run Tubular, the Kinlin XR-270 or XR-300 is often the go to rim for alloy clinchers. Built with light hubs and spokes you should still save a fair chunk of weight from your racing 7s
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

iainsheppard

by iainsheppard

I got from bikehubstore a set of KinLing XR200 rims with sapim spokes and BHS hubs, came in at 1305 grams for a 20/28 spoke config. Spin really well and were about $400 AUD delivered.

Krull

by Krull

verycreativeusername wrote:
LouisN wrote:For wheels, go with Kinlin tubular rims (TB25)

Tubular rims are not for everyone, I agree with Louis that they would be great race wheels, however Tubular tyres need to be glued on, and if you don't know what you are doing the tyre can roll off.

i made very good experiences with tufo glueing-tape, easy to handle and relieable.

i (62 kg) am using a kin lin tb25/tune wheelset with 20/24 spokes, 1356 gramm, for racing. its very good, much better than the (very expensive!) reynolds-kom wheelset i used before.

BobSantini

by BobSantini

Why tubs? It's unlikely that the OP would prefer them over the convenience of clinchers. (I could be wrong of course)
If the OP is less than about 80kg he may be well served by a set of clinchers with Kinlin XR-200s, generic Chinese hubs with good bearings and good spokes weighing less than 1300 grams and costing a little over $300 for the parts.
r o y g b i v

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com