Tubular 29er wheelset

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I'll be buying a 29er soon. This time I've decided I want to get a tubular wheelset for racing.

I've thought about getting a cheaper bike, and a pair of carbon tubular wheels. However the price, around 2000 euros (Enve/AX Lightness with 240s hubs), for a pair of wheels I'll only be racing on, has put me off.

I'm now considering an aluminium wheelset instead. For instance the FRM Urano XC Super Race Tubular wheelset.

Has anyone got experience with those wheels? I don't recall reading about them here.

I am of course open to other suggestions as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cerro

by cerro

Not tried exactly those but been riding FRM 26" tubular rims and they are really great, can't say anything bad about them (except weight). Got a pair of AX-Lightnessrims for next year.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Thanks. I am looking for experiences specifically with the 29er version of the wheelset. Take the Crest rims for instance, fine in 26", not so much in 29", with regards to stiffness and durability.

1350 makes me think the FRM wheelset is a bit soft... They have a rider weight limit of 85 kgs, I weigh 70 kgs, but still.

stephenjames

by stephenjames

I use the AX carbons with dugast fast birds for dry weather racing but for wet and general riding I had a set of Tubolite 29'ers with Tune hubs and CX Rays made by JP Racing bike in France. Very impresed with them around for weight, stiffness etc. I think they were just a touch over 1400g. Service from that company was very good.

The AX wheels I have made by R2 bike are pretty damn mighty of course but more than double the price.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

It looks like Tubolite only does 26" tubular wheelsets? I'm looking for 29".

stephenjames

by stephenjames

No, Tubolite make 29. Mine are 29er! Check on JP Racing Bike dude. They have them listed under 29'er wheels

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Ah I see. Missed them first time I looked. Thanks! They look interesting.

spandexboy817

by spandexboy817

I would also throw ENVE carbon tubbies into the mix. They aren't quite as light as the AX rims, but are very stiff and strong...

StradaJon
in the industry

by StradaJon

A good way to test tubulars is using the relatively cheap Velocity Major Tom rim - it was designed for CX use but for a 29er it works fine. The wide bed allows good tub adhesion and at 425g there are not too heavy either. It is a stiff rim and works well with a variety of hubs.
Strada Hand Built Wheels
http://www.stradawheels.co.uk

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

spandexboy817 wrote:I would also throw ENVE carbon tubbies into the mix. They aren't quite as light as the AX rims, but are very stiff and strong...

And they come with a 5 year warranty as well.

StradaJon
in the industry

by StradaJon

The ENVE tubulars are lovely and here's pair we built recently in action on our blog:

http://www.stradawheels.co.uk/enve-29-tubular-review/
Strada Hand Built Wheels
http://www.stradawheels.co.uk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Yup, they're nice. But since I'm a student, I will have to sell an arm to afford them I'm afraid.

I'm not looking for wheelsets with cyclocross rims. I ride tubulars for cross, so I know about the advantages already.