2012 Cinelli Pro Best Of Italo'79 *** Now with pics ***

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

fivethirtyonepm

by fivethirtyonepm

well, i've been playing about with the scales... this bike definitely isn't ww!

the isp is very heavy... unless someone makes a silly light usp top bracket, the only option here is simply to saw off the isp post and replace with a collar and lightweight seatpost (cinelli provide a collar specifically to allow you to do this with the frame).

photo below

the bike complete with cages and ultegra spd's is 7.7kgs on my bathroom scales.

if i wanted to go ww with it, i would do the following:-

replace isp with lightweight seatpost - save circa 100g
replace ram 2 with lightweight bar/stem combo - save circa 100g
replace spd's with speedplay - save circa 150g
replace qr's with planet x - save 50g
replace chorus calipers with planet x forged - save circa 150g
replace bullet ultra wheels with circa 1350g wheelset - save circa 450g
replace evo cx tyres with ultremo's - save 60g

total saving - circa 1060g bringing the weight down to circa 6.65kgs (ish) with pedals.

hey ho... still love it though. :thumbup:

hasbeen

by hasbeen

have you considered cutting the ISP a few mm lower, making a slot, putting on the clamp, and using a cut down seatpost instead? It will retain the ISP but cut weight ala Time. I am considering doing this for my build.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thprice

by thprice

Is the ISP circular? If so you may be able to replace the internal 'topper' with a Tune Cappy (no setback) or a Woodman Integrated Seatpost (with setback). Ensure you select the correct diameter.

wilson78

by wilson78

Hmmm, that ISP cap is a touch on the heavy side.
However the ISP forms a fairly prominent part of that frames overall aesthetic, with the extension of the paint finish. Of course, if you’re a dab hand with the humbrol you could replicate that on any seatpost you changed it for, but when something looks that good would you really want to change it!?
As you mention, the weight saving isn’t going to be all that much at circa 100g, so considering there are greater savings to be made elsewhere I would personally be inclined to leave it as Cinelli intended, looks like a great ride!
:thumbup:
My Titanium Lemond (RIP):
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=84352" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Trek:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=109635

fivethirtyonepm

by fivethirtyonepm

wilson78 wrote:Hmmm, that ISP cap is a touch on the heavy side.
However the ISP forms a fairly prominent part of that frames overall aesthetic, with the extension of the paint finish. Of course, if you’re a dab hand with the humbrol you could replicate that on any seatpost you changed it for, but when something looks that good would you really want to change it!?
As you mention, the weight saving isn’t going to be all that much at circa 100g, so considering there are greater savings to be made elsewhere I would personally be inclined to leave it as Cinelli intended, looks like a great ride!
:thumbup:

i think i may be inclined to agree... i really don't want to cut the isp off and replace with a regular post, as i would lose this awesome look...

kgt

by kgt

You may try to insert a normal 31,6 seatpost (cut of course) and a clamp. It may work...
Just keep your money for lighter wheels. Don't spend them on brakes etc.

fivethirtyonepm

by fivethirtyonepm

kgt wrote:You may try to insert a normal 31,6 seatpost (cut of course) and a clamp. It may work...
Just keep your money for lighter wheels. Don't spend them on brakes etc.

the bike was built to my own spec, so i'm not going to be in a hurry to change the wheels... i wanted clinchers and a 50mm aero section with alloy braking surface... for the money, i think i would struggle to get much lighter than the bullet ultras (oh, by the way, i didn't pay anywhere near GBP1k for them!).

i know that if i moved to tubs or went away from aero profiles, i could quite easily get into the realms of 1,000g wheelsets for much less money, but then my 95kgs (in my bday suit) bulk starts coming into play. i'm never going to be able to go the whole hog on a ww' build for this reason alone, so it is a case of balancing function with quality and durability.

dog

by dog

I'm looking for any further details about the RAM Solo bar if possible. Do people find it a stiff bar, what's the consensus? Reading reviews here and there some say it's flexy, others say it's stiff.

fivethirtyonepm

by fivethirtyonepm

i guess it depends on what you define as stiff.

the rams are massively stiff across the tops and stem. i don't really ride on the drops too much, so i can't really comment on how stiff they are on drops in a sprint.

they are great though... if not perhaps a little expensive!

dog

by dog

Are there any other bars you've tried which you could compare the RAM to?

fivethirtyonepm

by fivethirtyonepm

oops... just re-read your post and saw that you were talking about ram solos... i was talking about ram 2's which are an integrated bar & stem.

no idea about the solos i'm afraid.

CippoForLife
Shop Owner

by CippoForLife

Looks very nice.
Pretty sure the Cappy is by ItalTecno btw.

Mike

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

DON'T CUT THE ISP! This frame works visually because of it.

As mentioned above, get a Tune Cappy or a topper from Mcfk.de that'll go over the ISP rather than in it. Sorted.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Is there any chance that the ISP might not be able to take clamping forces? If Cinelli have the ISP topper working with expansion would having one that clamps on damage the frame? I know that Cinelli allow you to cut it down and use it as a normal seatpost, but maybe its only designed to take clamping forces lower down :noidea: Just my 2c
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com