Michelin Pro 4's vs Conti 4000S ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

frafoss

by frafoss

User Name wrote:
It wasn't until the GP4000S came out tested well on the Bike Tech Review test -- and after lots of people started talking about them -- that I finally tired one (yep, only one). I decided they were ok enough to use as rear training tyres (jee, how generous of me), then, after using them for a while, I eventually started sometimes using them as rear race tyres. Now I also occasionally use a Four Season or Gator as a rear on my wet day bike.

As others have said, the GP4000S is a very good all-round tyre, without being super-fast.

So which tyre is the fastest?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

frafoss wrote:
User Name wrote:
It wasn't until the GP4000S came out tested well on the Bike Tech Review test -- and after lots of people started talking about them -- that I finally tired one (yep, only one). I decided they were ok enough to use as rear training tyres (jee, how generous of me), then, after using them for a while, I eventually started sometimes using them as rear race tyres. Now I also occasionally use a Four Season or Gator as a rear on my wet day bike.

As others have said, the GP4000S is a very good all-round tyre, without being super-fast.

So which tyre is the fastest?

Vittoria Crono and other similar TT tyres.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

russianbear

by russianbear

I've got some pro4 endurance tires coming in the mail (in a 25mm) for the winter. Can't wait to try the new profile.

Then will probably go with some vittoria evo's as the season gets under way.

drhule23

by drhule23

No experience with the Conti's, but I've run Pro 3's for several years and love 'em. Just stocked up on Pro 4's for next year.
The more you suffer, the closer you get to transcendence.
It's not the mountain you're climbing, it's yourself. If you don't want to know, stay at the bottom.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

frafoss wrote:So which tyre is the fastest?

In clincher, Veloflex Record, Conti Supersonic, Vittoria Pista... maybe the Ultremo ZLX. All of these are short lived and rather fragile.
formerly rruff...

frafoss

by frafoss

WMW wrote:

In clincher, Veloflex Record, Conti Supersonic, Vittoria Pista... maybe the Ultremo ZLX. All of these are short lived and rather fragile.

So the fastest usable tyre is GP4000S. Some say the new Force/Attack is even faster but I haven't tried. Maybe sombody knows?

Spindoctor

by Spindoctor

frafoss wrote:
WMW wrote:

So the fastest usable tyre is GP4000S. Some say the new Force/Attack is even faster but I haven't tried. Maybe sombody knows?

i would put the Pro Race 4 service course in that list (useable category), and say it is a quicker tyre than a GP4000s
Wiliers: Cento Uno; Cento SLR; Imperiale, Zero 7 (all Super Record 11sp naturally)

maxxevv

by maxxevv

The Pro3 and GP4000s are about equal if you trade off their strengths.

The Pro3 rides a fair bit nicer compared to the GP4000s (which feels kinda 'dead' and 'wooden' if pumped over 105psi for a 23c tyre). The GP4000s is less prone to cuts (though the Pro3 is no where as vulnerable as the Corsa Evo's nor the Veloflex Records or GP Supersonics. )

Their differences are about equal and level of each other. So it will really depend on which is your priority.

Haven't had the chance to try the Pro4 yet so cannot comment on that.

PSM

by PSM

maxxevv wrote:The Pro3 and GP4000s are about equal if you trade off their strengths.

The Pro3 rides a fair bit nicer compared to the GP4000s (which feels kinda 'dead' and 'wooden' if pumped over 105psi for a 23c tyre). The GP4000s is less prone to cuts (though the Pro3 is no where as vulnerable as the Corsa Evo's nor the Veloflex Records or GP Supersonics. )

Their differences are about equal and level of each other. So it will really depend on which is your priority.

Haven't had the chance to try the Pro4 yet so cannot comment on that.

Exactly.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

frafoss wrote:Some say the new Force/Attack is even faster but I haven't tried.

The Attack/Force are faster because they have thinner tread.

The high tpi tires from Vittoria, Challenge, and Veloflex have lower resistance but are pretty fragile and have thin tread. They ride nice, though. For some people they are durable enough.
formerly rruff...

53by11

by 53by11

russianbear wrote:I've got some pro4 endurance tires coming in the mail (in a 25mm) for the winter. Can't wait to try the new profile.

Then will probably go with some vittoria evo's as the season gets under way.

Been on these since the fall weather came in here in New England. About 600 miles and no issues. At about 75-80 psi they ride GREAT! FWIW was riding Pro Race 3 and have a set of Ultremo's 23mm that I was going to use when the warmer weather arrives, but may get some new Ultremo's in 25mm instead. A little more weight but ride quality and handling are much improved.

russianbear

by russianbear

How much do you weigh 53by11? Just so i have a reference of where to start when I play with the pressures (i'm ~185lb).

xrs2

by xrs2

Try this if you want to calculate your tire pressure properly instead of guessing.

http://www.biketinker.com/tire-pressure-calculator/

You'll have to download the Excel file, the Google doc doesn't seem to work.

53by11

by 53by11

russianbear wrote:How much do you weigh 53by11? Just so i have a reference of where to start when I play with the pressures (i'm ~185lb).

195#

istigatrice

by istigatrice

That tyre pressure calculator recommend 56psi for my front wheel :noidea:
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com