best lightweight tubeless clincher option?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fivethirtyonepm

by fivethirtyonepm

my brother is borrowing my Cinelli Pro Best Of' to do the Etape next year. The bike currently has Bullet Ultra 50's fitted. He wants some lighter climbing wheels and is attracted by the merits of tubeless technology.

Firstly, is tubeless the way to go for riding in the mountains (ie climbing and subsequent descending)? If so, which direction should he be heading?

The options as far as I can see (without spending an absolute fortune) are:-

Fulcrum Zero 2-way
Shamal 2-way
Stans 340's on either Chris King or DT 240S with Sapim CX Ray spokes

Whatever he goes for, it must be campy compatible, not stupidly expensive and appreciably lighter than the slightly portly Bullet Ultras.

Cheers

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

You could always build up the 340s to Alchemy hubs instead of Kings. This will increase the overall flange spacing just a tad which will increase lateral rigidity. Additionally, it would shave a bit of weight from the overall build which is always nice.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fivethirtyonepm

by fivethirtyonepm

thanks for the advice ref. Alchemy hubs... i'll have a look at those.

what about the American Classic Tubeless wheelset? It seems crazy-light for the cash as an 'off the shelf' option (sub 1200g for sub £800)?

cheers

PSM

by PSM

fivethirtyonepm

by fivethirtyonepm

PSM wrote:http://superlight-bikeparts.de/Tune-Laufradsatz-NoTubes-Alpha-Felge-MIG45-MAG170-Sapim-CX-Ray-Carbonfelge-Superleichter-Laufradsatz_1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

perfect!

Tune Mig/Mag Hubs with Stans 340 Alphas and an upgrade to Sapim CX Ray spokes...

next question... at 6ft tall and circa 80kgs, what spoke setup should he go for? 20/24 or 24/28?

also,,, what is this carbon winding lark all about (on the rear wheel). does it make a difference? (or one worth paying Euro 45 -70 for?)

cheers

artray

by artray

I have Stans . AC hubs. revolution spokes ...they weigh 1182grms and cost me under £500 ...
Im 6ft but weigh a bit less ...18 spokes at the front and 24 at the rear .

tonytourist

by tonytourist

The new Velocity A23 has a tubeless compatible bead. Another good, though heavier, option. 8)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I am 6ft tall and 79kg I would rund 24F/28R on that kind of build.

audiojan

by audiojan

Highly recommend the Alpha 340's with Alchemy hubs. Those are the best wheels I've ever had! 20/28 with Sapim CX-ray.... Plenty stiff, very light, and descends fantastic (contribute that to the amazing hubs just as much as the tubeless).
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

I've always thought it is a good idea to overbuild on the 340. It isn't the stiffest rim out there, and with that said, I would go 24/28 or 24/32.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Does anyone know the weight of the Fulcrums or the Shamals? Would you say that they would be heavier or lighter than the 340's?
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

PSM

by PSM

fivethirtyonepm wrote:
PSM wrote:http://superlight-bikeparts.de/Tune-Laufradsatz-NoTubes-Alpha-Felge-MIG45-MAG170-Sapim-CX-Ray-Carbonfelge-Superleichter-Laufradsatz_1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

perfect!

Tune Mig/Mag Hubs with Stans 340 Alphas and an upgrade to Sapim CX Ray spokes...

next question... at 6ft tall and circa 80kgs, what spoke setup should he go for? 20/24 or 24/28?

also,,, what is this carbon winding lark all about (on the rear wheel). does it make a difference? (or one worth paying Euro 45 -70 for?)

cheers

24/28. (+40gr) No winding.

atakaoka

by atakaoka

verycreativeusername wrote:Does anyone know the weight of the Fulcrums or the Shamals? Would you say that they would be heavier or lighter than the 340's?

if I recall shamal is 1450g
cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.

maddog 2

by maddog 2

You can add the DA 9000 to the list of factory wheels

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... -pair.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

@atakaoka I'm sorry, I meant the rim weight, not the wheelset weight
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)