SRM options for campagnolo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gb103

by gb103

Hi all, need some advice on which srm powermeter to purchase. I currently ride a Cervelo R3 10 speed (record) and a Cervelo R3 sl 11 speed campagnolo (super record).

Option 1: FSA grossamer (available with 10 sp or 11 sp chain rings) £2075

Option 2: Campagnolo record (11 speed) £3575

Not interested in the FSA K Force Light.

Obviously their is a considerable price difference between the two options. I would only put option 1 on my old cervelo r3 as my r3 sl has super record cranks which are too nice and expensive to be sat in a cupboard, but would be happier if they were replaced by the campagnolo srm.

I don't mind which bike the srm goes on, my concern is are the fsa grossamer cranks
rubbish? I have read quite a lot of poor reviews on these cranks regarding reliability, squeeking noise and shifting. However they were not srm and I think the issue maybe down to the installation, which I was told by a srm dealer. Option 2 is super expensive, but would give me 100% peace of mind in quality and shifting performance. Do you think I am worrying unnecessarily? Any feedback on both systems would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Machinenoise

by Machinenoise

IF you are dead set on SRM then the Rotor 3d one? £2899 lightish and stiff.

Geoff

by Geoff

The Campagnolo SRM is a beautiful piece of kit. It will really look perfect with your gruppo.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

THM m3s look great and work like a charm.
If i was after a good crank based SRM it would be a no brainer for me.
Lightest option listed and cheaper than the campag

claus

by claus

How important is the low Q-factor of the Campagnolo cranks to you? It seems they are the only system with a Q-factor of 145.5mm, the others are 147mm (or more)? At least I couldn't find anything close to the Campagnolo cranks while looking through the options on srm.de.

gb103

by gb103

claus wrote:How important is the low Q-factor of the Campagnolo cranks to you? It seems they are the only system with a Q-factor of 145.5mm, the others are 147mm (or more)? At least I couldn't find anything close to the Campagnolo cranks while looking through the options on srm.de.

It's not important at all. For a SRM meter I have decided I won't be really happy unless I purchase the campagnolo record as I like the idea of uniformity of a groupset. I could live with the FSA only because it's so much cheaper, but in my eyes it is a poor substitute aesthetically and quality.

The other option would be a powertap G3 laced on ambrosio excellight rims. Less exotic than the SRM and would mean a heavier wheelset than my kysrium SR (1450g), but cheaper than the FSA.

Does anybody know the weight of such a wheelset? Front hub would be campagnolo record or maybe a chris king. Important as I will be using them in the Pyrenees a lot.

Decisions, decisions. I wish campagnolo would do a chorus srm crankset.

Thanks for the input.

MagnusH

by MagnusH

Assuming 430 grams/pr Ambrosio Excellight rim, 325 grams for the G3 Powertap hub (these weights I have scribbled in an excel sheet once i was considering a Powertap build), and a 100 gram front hub, you end up at ca. 1565 gram (ex. rimtape), assuming a 24/28 build with CX-Rays.

duz10s

by duz10s

i had the same choice and ended up spending the extra and going with the Campy SRM, couldn't be happier well worth the extra $$
2015 RCA with Di2

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

You' ll not be happy with a non-campag compromise.

I have the Powertap, which works great, but would like to switch. If you can afford the SRM then go for it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com