My Superfly 29er is 26lbs, where are my big losses found?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

qwkswede

by qwkswede

Below is a picture of my 2009 GF superfly. Now, The cyclocross tires are sort of a joke. I don't run those for any real XC riding or racing. I usually run Racing Ralphs, or Small Block Eights. But the versatility for CX season is nice. I don't really want to own a real CX bike when this works so well.

The above bike with 2.25" Racing Ralphs weighs in at 26lbs. I'd love to get closer to 21-22lbs or so. Is that a bridge too far on a 29er?

The XT crankset seems to be the most obvious item here. Any suggestions for a replacement that costs under $500 US?
Any other suggestions that would drop big weight quickly?

This is my first post! Hello to everyone out there! I've been lurking around the weight weenies site for a couple years.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Wheels, first and foremost. Get a set of Stan's NoTubes Crests and set them up tubeless with your Racing Ralphs. That will probably save you 1-1.5lbs right there.

Or, alternately, the Light-Bicycles 30mm carbon wheels for $570. Not the lightest at 1500g, but probably close to a whole pound lighter than what you're running right now, and a dramatic overall improvement in performance.

My HT's wheels aren't the lightest; they're 1440g but more or less indestructible. You can go lighter with Crests or Race 29ers, but you compromise a bit on the durability side.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

qwkswede

by qwkswede

Do you have a link for light bicycles wheels? I am familiar with the Stans stuff, been looking at that lately.

I should throw my wheels on a scale next time I have the tires off to see where I am. I thought they were "pretty light". But something just doesn't add up on this build.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Light-bicycles.com

There's a huge thread over on MTBR's 29er forum about them. Same with the Wheels and Tires forum, and a smaller one on the 650b forum.

I'll be buying a set of them this spring for a set of "alternate" wheels to run some 2.4s on for fast, rocky races this upcoming season.

qwkswede

by qwkswede

I think I found them. I'm running some fine Chinese carbon parts on my road bike. So I don't have too much of a problem trusting their carbon work. Are there any thoughts on the Novatec or Chosen hubs? I've destroyed plenty of brand name hubs, usually rear hubs on hard tails. I'd like something reasonably durable...

BmanX

by BmanX

I just bought some Stans Crest 29ers and they arrived today. I can tell you that they weigh in at 1620g complete with valve stems and their yellow tape. Front wheels was 765g and the rear was 855g. While I am building a full rigid 29er, it will be around 17lbs when completed so you should be able to get this under 20 lbs with suspension forks.

Can you list out your parts?
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

I have both a set of Stan's Crest/ZTR 3.30 wheels and 2 sets of Light Bicycle wheels. The Crest wheels weigh around 1575 with tape and no stems or skewers and costs a little over $500. The set of LB wheels with the AC hubs and light spokes is around 1450 but you would be well advised to run Bontrager Rythm strips which adds 44 grams each wheel bringing it up to ~1538 and also costs over $800 to build. They are way stiffer and stronger than the Crest rims though. My other set of LB wheels is heavy duty with Shimano M529 hubs and Alpine III spokes. It weighs 1927 and adding the rim strips 2015 but they are almost as stiff and strong as a solid wheel for around $500 even. On your budget I would definitely get the Crest/ZTR set. However, I do like the stiffness and steering precision of the LB wheels but you either have to pay a lot more money or not save very much weight to get that extra stiffness.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

As stated, list out every part of your bike (in case of confusion, every means every single part ideally), also remove and weigh all those bits that are easy to do so (seatpost, saddle, clamp, stem, spacers, skewers etc etc etc)

Ideally you get to know the weight of every (single) component, then know what weight you can save for how much money on each.....
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

With respect to hubs, Chosen hubs are generally highly regarded. They make the SunRingle dirty flea hub, and all of Stans hubs. They are light, durable, very smooth.

BmanX

by BmanX

Since I just got these last night I thought I would post the actual weight of these with Stans valves and yellow tape. 1620g for $500 or $0.31 per gram so it is well worth it.
Front wheel
Rear wheel
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Take those valve caps off and remove the tags-you are a WW.

Also, regarding the Novatec hubs. I will save you reading the 4000 post thread on MTBR that took me 2 weeks to read in spare time. There have been some failures. Since you seem to be the type that is hard on hubs, I would stay away from the Novatec hubs and build your own wheels if you decide to go with LB rims. Also, some of the builds from LB have not been great. Such things and spokes so long the ends are a mm past the back of the nipple, etc.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

While we are on the subject. LB is great at carbon rims. Their latest stuff is really good. If you read that 4000 post thread back in May/June they were having problems with the bead lock finish and a lot of returns, but their rims have gotten better and better and also lighter. They are now coming in at around 380-385. They are less proven at building wheels and at other carbon items. They failed at frames and the reviews on seatposts have been mixed.

qwkswede

by qwkswede

I started reading some of the Chinese Carbon Rim threads. They are exhausting long. Thanks for the summary. Building my own carbon rims with even moderately priced hubs seems like a $1000 dollar endeavor. It makes the Stan's Crests look like an amazing value. Though I am gathering that the Carbons will give me a very stiff durable wheel. Maybe even better than the Crest 29ers. I'd like to have some nicer race wheels before next summer's XC season gets going. Maybe the year end tax return fairy will treat me well.

I never saw a verdict on the narrow vs. "wider" carbon rims. Seems like there were some significant shape differences that might affect how tubeless tires seat and lock the bead. I really like my current Bontragers from that perspective. The rim strips actually have a little channel that locks the bead against the rim. You gotta overinflate like an SOB to get them to seat, but once they are on there they don't burp or come loose. I have run 10-15 psi at times due to punctures, and once the hole sealed I could keep riding without any burping.

And thanks for the game plan with weighing and taking notes on actual part weights. I think I'll start doing that.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

I don't think they even make the narrow ones any more. Wide is the only way to go. Also, another data point, the wide rims are 25mm at the bead which is wider than a even a Flow, but Stan's patented bead seat technology actually works. A Nevegal was actually .5 wider on the Flow rim that is 24.6 and the Crest was just slightly smaller than the LB rims as far as holding the tire wide even though they are much narrower.

I have $500 in my heavy duty version. The Shimano hubs are available for $68 landed. Also, I used Alpine III spokes which were around $75. You could use cheaper and lighter spokes ending up at just less than 1900 grams for right at $500. Another alternative is FlowEX which are going to hold a tire way wider than anything else we have talked about and they are going to be just over $550 and with the light Stan's ZRT hubs (which I like a lot) should weigh ~1900 also but give huge wide tire benefits of lower pressure, better traction, etc.

Kennyg

by Kennyg

eBay items I have put on my bike this year

Fsa Slk carbon cranks 39/50  Fsa bottom bracket $125   saved 200g
KMC X10SL chain $60.                                                                       Saved 107g
Xtr rear dérailleur $80.                                                                         Saved 50g
Carbon seat post$ 51.                                                                          Saved 200g
Ashima  airotors $34.                                                                           Saved 80g
Scott bars AT-2 $40                                                                            Saved 100g

Other purchases

Kenda klimax tires $60 (went tubeless too).                                  Saved 440g
Stan's tape, fluid, and valves.  $48
Dura ace cassette 12/27         $95                                                     Saved 150g

All this for$598 and I dropped   1327g which is approx 3lbs. 

Sorry if the math is off!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com