Disk Brake setups.

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Bradley

by Bradley

Hello all,I am currently looking to upgrade my Cable operated Avid BB7 to a lighter Hydraulic Brake.

I've mainly been considering the Avid XX,Formula R1 and Hope Race X2.

The avid I am drawn into most as I have always had good experience with Avid components on my own bikes and when I was a Mechanic in the past.Although I've read alot of mixed reviews on them,some people complaining about constantly having to re-bleed them etc etc.Has this been resolved on a certain model IE 2012 models not having this issue.The Avids adjustment is also a nice touch as I am used to full adjustability from the BB7.

The Formula R1 seems to have good reviews but I am abit put off by the anodized red bits i want something quite clean looking.Even the the Avid has some graphics it seems ok.

The hope looks pretty nice and weights seem fair,I've ridden their hubs for a long time now so feel confident with their products,although it does not seem to have any pad adjustment.

It will be used mainly for rides on the road and local cycle paths so nothing too involved but I was hoping some of you could share your experiences with each brake,Pro's/Cons etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brad

Kennyg

by Kennyg

I run the formula r1 and like them. I have had no issues over the last 6 months I ride @ 3 days a week. They are a good pick.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DavidR1

by DavidR1

I have used these three extensively over the past several years. The Hope's are the best for me. I like the modulation of them, plus they seem to have a bit more power then the R1's. The XX are terrible!

But for your purposes, save your money and ride with the BB7's.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

I second the vote for the Hopes. The Avids tend to run hot which causes bubbles to form in the line. They require frequent bleeding (which is nice if you want to get good at bleeding brakes) but for all practical purposes, the Hopes are probably a better option.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Shimano - heavier but the most reliable there is.

Avids are horid by comparison even if they are lighter.

R1's if you can afford them, don't really trust Hope, so Shimano if not.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

socratease

by socratease

Hopes are the most reliable, least fussy, and have the best modulation, but IMO poor stopping power unless you go w/ the 4 piston ones.

R1s are finicky (difficult to bleed, very poor pad clearance), but very good performers in terms of stopping power. I think modulation on them is excellent: if you have a light touch.

Would recommend the maguras as being the same weight but having good pad clearance, similar modulation to the hopes, and stopping power closer to the R1s.

Bradley

by Bradley

Thankyou all for the comments some interesting advice.

I must admit the Hope Race x2 seems like a very nice brake but dosen't have pad adjustment.Maybe this won't be an issue and I'm just being abit fussy.The hope looks nicest in my opinion too,simple looking lever and most of the brake is black which is a plus not to mention it's mad in the UK.

socratease= I noticed you mention Magura,i had looked at the MT8 but the red put me off abit so was sent towards the MT6.

Whats your experience with Magura or either of the MT6-8 Brakes?,also anybody else if they have experiences the others.

Elstorma

by Elstorma

Bradley wrote:Thankyou all for the comments some interesting advice.

I must admit the Hope Race x2 seems like a very nice brake but dosen't have pad adjustment.Maybe this won't be an issue and I'm just being abit fussy.The hope looks nicest in my opinion too,simple looking lever and most of the brake is black which is a plus not to mention it's mad in the UK.

socratease= I noticed you mention Magura,i had looked at the MT8 but the red put me off abit so was sent towards the MT6.

Whats your experience with Magura or either of the MT6-8 Brakes?,also anybody else if they have experiences the others.

Using the Magura MTS, loving it. set-up not as easy as the Shimanos(lesser pad clearance), but otherwise, very good in weight, very nice lever feel, and good power and modulation.

DanW

by DanW

As all say, anything will feel like an improvement :)

Hope feel great, look great but are underpowered.

R1's are absolutely perfect but for the tiny pad-rotor clearance which means it is extremely difficult to set them up without rubbing. Some days it is there some days it is not. I'll set it up perfectly with the bike upside down then the brakes will rub horribly after turning the bike right side up (and not even pulling the lever). Mine have driven me nuts!

I can't recommend Shimano XTR enough! All the benefits of the R1's but far quieter and more reliable. The downside is giving away 50-60g. At the end of the day I have more fun and am less stressed before a ride so the XTR win easily.

Bradley

by Bradley

Elstorma wrote:
Using the Magura MTS, loving it. set-up not as easy as the Shimanos(lesser pad clearance), but otherwise, very good in weight, very nice lever feel, and good power and modulation.

Ah thats good to hear,I think I'm going to have a look at some brakes in a shop to gauge them hands on.

DanW wrote:As all say, anything will feel like an improvement :)

Hope feel great, look great but are underpowered.

R1's are absolutely perfect but for the tiny pad-rotor clearance which means it is extremely difficult to set them up without rubbing. Some days it is there some days it is not. I'll set it up perfectly with the bike upside down then the brakes will rub horribly after turning the bike right side up (and not even pulling the lever). Mine have driven me nuts!

I can't recommend Shimano XTR enough! All the benefits of the R1's but far quieter and more reliable. The downside is giving away 50-60g. At the end of the day I have more fun and am less stressed before a ride so the XTR win easily.

Thats funny because I did look at the XTR's,are you running the M985 Race or M875?.I really like the race but it's abit too bling bling for me,whereas the M875 looks quite nice.How much lever pull does the XTR typically have,they don't have a pad adjustment dial do they?.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Zen Cyclery wrote: The Avids tend to run hot which causes bubbles to form in the line.

Logic behind that being?
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

You should be happy with Magura MT6 or 8,i think MT6 are better. I have MT6 on front and it's great for me (63-66kg rider).

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

You asked for "any help". This will definitely help lighten your bike:

Trickstuff (GER) makes "Cleg" hydro calipers, both 2-piston and 4-piston models.
http://www.trickstuff.de/en/products/cleg2.php

But forget their rotors, for some reason they are std. heavy :cry:

Bradley

by Bradley

UpFromOne wrote:You asked for "any help". This will definitely help lighten your bike:

Trickstuff (GER) makes "Cleg" hydro calipers, both 2-piston and 4-piston models.
http://www.trickstuff.de/en/products/cleg2.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But forget their rotors, for some reason they are std. heavy :cry:

They're really nice,infact crazy nice.Have you got one or had any experience with them?.Quite pricey as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I've never seen them, but I've had other Trickstuff products and they're top german quality.
Clegs just seem to be one of the lightest out there, so do some research surely someone on the interwebs has posted comments by now?