Vino's emails re 2010 Liege win

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Link does not work
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Yes.

So what have we learned?

With 2.5 million Phillip Gilbert is a rich man but his number of wins will never be the same :lol:

1st Overall UCI World Tour
1st National Road Race Champion
1st National Time Trial Champion
1st Overall Tour of Belgium

1st Stage 3

1st Overall Ster ZLM Toer

1st Stage 4

1st Liège–Bastogne–Liège
1st Amstel Gold Race
1st La Flèche Wallonne
1st Clásica de San Sebastián
1st Grand Prix Cycliste de Québec
1st Montepaschi Strade Bianche
1st Brabantse Pijl
1st GP de Wallonie
1st Stage 1 Tour de France
1st Stage 5 Tirreno-Adriatico
1st Stage 1 Volta ao Algarve
2nd Overall Eneco Tour 1st Stage 3
3rd Milan – San Remo
3rd Grand Prix Cycliste de Montréal
8th Giro di Lombardia
9th Tour of Flanders

1st World Road Race Champion
1st Stage 9 Vuelta a España
1st Stage 19 Vuelta a España
2nd Silver medal UCI Road World Championships Men's team time trial
3rd La Flèche Wallonne
6th Amstel Gold Race
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Rick

by Rick

HammerTime2 wrote:Rick, in other words, the only crime is getting caught. You should go into politics - or maybe you already are.

No. What I am really saying is that I don't consider deals a crime at all.

Take another situation: Two strong riders are in a break, but one of them also has a strong team behind. He says to the other guy" Let me win this or I won't work." The other guy says "Fine, but let''s split the prize money."
Is that a crime ? Ha! I've had those situations even as a lowly local racer.
In the end, the winner will be giving some money to the second place guy. Maybe it is a crime in your lofty moral code, but it seems like cycling is a little different than other sports in that it has so many simultaneous competitors and tactical situations that lead to "cooperation". And placings mean MONEY (and glory :) ).

Every sport has an element of performance and entertainment. Cycling isn't exacty like professional wrestling, but I really have consider the dealings to be just another level of the tactics and intrigue. Some great riders, like Sean Kelly, have been noted as selling off some really great victories just for the money. But they had to be at the front of the pack to be in a position to deal at all. If it bothers you, fine. I am just saying it doesn't bother me at all.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Rick wrote:... I think there is a certain level of discretion that should be exercised. If you are wiring money and leaving a chain of emails, then you are just "low class" deserve to be chastised. ...
And the reason for this discretion is presumably to not be caught. That's your "code", not mine.
Rick wrote:Just hand the guy a wad of cash in private and keep your mouth shut about it. :)
This may be easy for small-time racers exchanging small amounts of money, but gets trickier when dealing with 150000 euros.

Rick

by Rick

HammerTime2 wrote:And the reason for this discretion is presumably to not be caught. That's your "code", not mine.

No. That is your presumption, not mine. The reason for the discretion is to preserve the intrigue involved in having fans (and perhaps other riders) not know exactly what the deal was. Just like professional wrestling does not publish the script ahead of the match. Not knowing makes it more entertaining.
This may be easy for small-time racers exchanging small amounts of money, but gets trickier when dealing with 150000 euros.
I will gladly accept that in cash. :)

In fact, I will race for you all year and let you win every race ahead of me for that much. We can call it a "contract". ;)

Another thing that occurred to me: Imagine how much Kolobnev must have trusted the personal integrity of Vinokourov to trust him to pay 150000 Euros at some later time to let him win (if true). Man. that is really some trust and integrity!

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

They come from the same place. And in those places word gets around quickly and everyone knows everyone else down to family members. Hence that trust.

ChristianB

by ChristianB

I thought Vinokourov was from Kazakhstan and Kolobnev Russian ? Unless of course you mean the strange Country of Professional Cycling. In the latter case everything seems to be possible there...

milkbaby

by milkbaby

^LOL :lol:

sent by tapatalk because my computer is a paperweight

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

ChristianB wrote:I thought Vinokourov was from Kazakhstan and Kolobnev Russian ? Unless of course you mean the strange Country of Professional Cycling. In the latter case everything seems to be possible there...

Vinoukorov trained in Russia, speaks Russian, Russian is an official language in Kazakhstan, Kazakhstan shares Russian culture.

djm

by djm

I would think the people of Kazakhstan would be offended by such a conclusion.

So, what's next, the United Kingdom and the United States are the same countries?

They come from the same place. And in those places word gets around quickly and everyone knows everyone else down to family members. Hence that trust.

Really? In a country of 16 million (Kazakhstan) and 143 million (Russia) word gets around quickly (maybe) and everyone knows everyone else (well, ehh, I guess "six degrees of separation" applies universally, but still).....?

slyboots

by slyboots

Oh, come on, guys, you know what Stella means: same place = outside of the US... :roll:

Just kidding. :beerchug: