Challenge "Eroica" tyres

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Just found out about Challenge's new "Eroica" model the other day, a 30mm gravel tyre as the name suggests. Since their "Paris Roubaix" (much like Vittoria's Pavé) doesn't have a great puncture protection reputation, I'd be interested if this one might be better. (Would be fun to ride tubs on gravel too, but don't want to flat out in the woods.)

Unfortunately Challenge has not yet answered my request whether the puncture protection layer of the Eroica was stronger than their P-R's. Does anyone here have some info already? @challenge, I'm looking at you :-)

cerro

by cerro

30mm? My FMB Paris-Roubaix is touching the fork and almost frame. Is there any frame/fork/brakeset that will work with 30mm?

Real 30mm then, my 27mm FMB is 28,2 wide. Not like Continental GP 4 Season 28 that was 25,3 wide on a wheel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

styrrell

by styrrell

I have a pair of 30mm gran bois tires (clinchers) I use on a touring frame. These tires are really more like 32mm. Ican fit the front on my enve 1.0 fork with zero clearance on the top. I've thought about fitting brass shims in the dropouts to give more clearance. It looks like the wheel could move down 2 mm and still have the QR and hub be contacting the dropout. I doubt i'll do it but if a road fork was made to have the brake pads at the very bottom of of the adjustment range their would be plenty of clearance.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

info@challengetech.it wrote:Eroica have a thicker tread and wider PPS than Parigi Roubaix.

So I'm assuming the PPS thickness is the same, but thicker thread will help too.
As regards volume, I would think that they tested it to clear most common frames and brakes?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

So I'm assuming the PPS thickness is the same,

It's common practice for tyre manufacturers to share the same puncture protection belt across the board. They just have it cut to the correct width for the tyre and that's it.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

fdegrove, so what do you think are the chances that the Eroica is just a P-R casing with more rubber and a wider PPS? P-R is said to be around 29mm in reality, so it's not worlds apart.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Quite likely it's just that indeed.

Ciao, ;)

blasdelf

by blasdelf

cerro wrote:30mm? My FMB Paris-Roubaix is touching the fork and almost frame. Is there any frame/fork/brakeset that will work with 30mm?

there's more to the world than short-reach brakes

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

cerro wrote:30mm? My FMB Paris-Roubaix is touching the fork and almost frame. Is there any frame/fork/brakeset that will work with 30mm?

I recently fitted a Hutchinson CX tire (33-34mm) in a Merckx Strada O.S. frameset and it fit.

styrrell

by styrrell

wassertreter wrote:fdegrove, so what do you think are the chances that the Eroica is just a P-R casing with more rubber and a wider PPS? P-R is said to be around 29mm in reality, so it's not worlds apart.

I'm sure stuff like that happens, but it would be pretty dissapointing if they market the PR as 27 and the eroica as 30 when both are the same casing.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I'm sure stuff like that happens, but it would be pretty dissapointing if they market the PR as 27 and the eroica as 30 when both are the same casing.

I really don't see why that would be such a big deal.

Ciao, ;)

styrrell

by styrrell

It wouldn't be a big deal, but it would be nice if mfg can get simple things like size, weight, color, etc correct.

russianbear

by russianbear

Tried to mount some P-R's on my scott cr1 and the rear was rubbing the top of the rear stay bridge. The pro4's I have on the way, 25mm but I think reviews say they're more like 26.5 should be just peachy (i hope).

The PR i mounted was my buddy's who use to work for Challenge and been riding their tires for the last few years as team issue stuff, he doesn't have a whole lot of faith in the new Eroica tires as far as durability...

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Challenge confirmed that the PPS thickness was the same as in the P-R models (but wider, as said above).

Really tempted to try this in spring., or maybe Vittoria Pavé.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

A fellow weightweenie's (mounting) experience with the Eroica clinchers: http://ridingthecatskills.com/2012/12/1 ... ica-tight/